Very.co.uk account closed with debt left too pay, do I have too pay?

Options
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, this is my first post.

I purchased a PC via Buy Now Pay Later last June, having tried too access the account recently too find out which day specifically it needed too be paid by, I noticed the account is no longer in existence.

How do I go about this, am I still liable too pay?

Thanks,
SD

Comments

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Call very tomorrow and find out whats up. And yes, you still owe the money.
  • SourD
    SourD Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2017 at 1:43AM
    Options
    Are you sure? Because the account is the only thing holding me too the money, if they choose too delete it they have removed themselves from the contract surely?
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SourD wrote: »
    Are you sure? Because the account is the only thing holding me too the money, if they choose too delete it they have removed themselves from the contract surely?
    Nope, that is not how it works, as this "close of file" may be anything: from system glitch to you forgetting login/password combo. You can read your contract in regards how the account can be closed, what sort of letter you will receive about it and so on.
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options

Ummm.... no. It's still a contract, you still have to pay it, they will still screw up your credit rating if you don't pay it. Just call them tomorrow.
  • SourD
    Options
    If I call them and they have no knowledge of the account, what then? I don't want too be too pushy, as I'd rather keep my ££, if it's just a technical fault that's fine I'll pay.
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I call them and they have no knowledge of the account, what then? I don't want too be too pushy, as I'd rather keep my ££, if it's just a technical fault that's fine I'll pay.
    Did you repay the money? If not then you owe it. It's really that simple.
  • SourD
    Options
    This is moneysavingexpert? If I can save the money I will, I'm not going too be a white knight if they have messed up and effectively allowed me to dodge it, if it's a minor error that they know of, I'll have no choice and I don't mind, but I'm not going just burst out saying I owe them money. If you're just trying too be morale, then that's not the answer I want.
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is moneysavingexpert? If I can save the money I will, I'm not going too be a white knight if they have messed up and effectively allowed me to dodge it, if it's a minor error that they know of, I'll have no choice and I don't mind, but I'm not going just burst out saying I owe them money. If you're just trying too be morale, then that's not the answer I want.
    This also isn't "moneyscrewingexpert". We are happy to help people challenge debt that may be unfair, and there are many ways to do so (not secretive - you can find almost all of them with quick google), but not to weasel out of your obligations. If for no other reason than that as a result we all wind up paying more for credit to compensate for your gain.

But that is just morale aside. You are free to go and dig your head in the sand. While doing so head over to debt-free wannabe board and see how that goes.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options

Have you got the original invoice/documents stating when you were meant to pay?

If you purchased this item online it would have at least been e-mailed and likely posted to you. It'll contain your Invoice number etc.

Call Very with that information and ask for a statement to be sent with your due date.

This is MSE, not "Gettingoutofpayingforthingsyouboughtexpert".

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options

Wouldnt it be great if that was true,i mean if we could get services or goods for free,id be all over it like dirty knickers on a homeless trap mate.

Pretty sure its not Very who you owe the money too,will be some sort of finace firm and they will know when your late paying,no doubt some cluase if you dont pay on time they can add XYZ to make debt even bigger.

Only way to truly avoid paying is either be very welathy/famous or a Banker.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure