HSBC CC - One off payments

Hi all,

New forum member here!

I have a HSBC credit card and I’m paying a fixed amount each month via direct debit. I want to be able to top up these with the occasional one-off payment via debit card or bank transfer, but HSBC seem to make this very difficult if you don’t have a current account with them.

Does anyone know if you can transfer funds from a HSBC savings account to a credit card please? It seems to be the only idea I can come up with after trawling though their FAQs...!

Thank you in advance,
V
Starting Debt: £6344.23 (Dec 2017)
Current Debt: £6110
Saving for Christmas 2018: £62/£365

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Simply make payments from your own bank account, using the payment details on the statement.
  • Thanks zx81 - I feel quite silly. I don't often look at statements, just the transaction list online. Many thanks for your help :beer:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need to find out how HSBC treat additional payments when you have a DD set up. It's possible they will reduce the DD amount, or cancel altogether that month, if you make a manual payment outside the 3 working days immediately preceding DD collection date.
  • Thanks YorkshireBoy - the thought crossed my mind earlier today. I'll keep an eye out and if they do this, I'll top it up to what it should be.

Thanks again for the reminder! :)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You need to find out how HSBC treat additional payments when you have a DD set up. It's possible they will reduce the DD amount, or cancel altogether that month, if you make a manual payment outside the 3 working days immediately preceding DD collection date.
    Vegainer wrote: »
    Thanks YorkshireBoy - the thought crossed my mind earlier today. I'll keep an eye out and if they do this, I'll top it up to what it should be.

Thanks again for the reminder! :)
    https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/contact-and-support/card-support/credit-card-repayment-options
  • damoC
    damoC Posts: 62 Forumite
    Hsbc still take the DD if you make additional payments (this happened to me, best to make additional payments after the DD). To make the additional payments, log in to your account and set up a new bill payment, use there account number and sortcode (HSBC even have an option in a dropdown list of companies to make life easier, assuming you are doing this from an hsbc bank account). Use your 16 digit card number as the payment reference.
  • damoC wrote: »
    Hsbc still take the DD if you make additional payments (this happened to me, best to make additional payments after the DD). To make the additional payments, log in to your account and set up a new bill payment, use there account number and sortcode (HSBC even have an option in a dropdown list of companies to make life easier, assuming you are doing this from an hsbc bank account). Use your 16 digit card number as the payment reference.

Perhaps I'm overly cautious but after setting up the details I would make a nominal payment of £1 and make sure it shows on my CC online statement. Then I would make larger transactions knowing all the details have been set up correctly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure