Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Max857 wrote: »
    Are you please able to give me any advice on where I can apply for a tuition fee loan for an international student who wants to study in England

Perhaps from your own government. You are not entitled to one from the uk.
  • MarthaM
    MarthaM Posts: 13
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Martin's advice on whether to repay a loan or save seems to suggest that saving the money is the best option.
    Not allowed to link but it's on the website.
    I'm trying to find out the effect of savings on repayment of a Plan 2 loan.
    The Government website says
    "You might end up paying your loan back sooner if your income from savings and investments is over £2,000 a year"
    I can't find any more information about this. You might have to repay is a bit vague! Does it include all investment income or is it just the taxable income? Income from ISAs wouldn't normally be declared on a tax return but would the SLC want 9% of it?

Any pointers would be appreciated.
  • Hi! My son is currently in university, but has fallen behind in his work during his first year (isn't the first and won't be the last). Reality has hit, and he is now thinking he may have to start afresh. Is he entitled to any funding towards a repeat year? Thanks
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 April 2017 at 10:26PM
    MarthaM wrote: »
    Martin's advice on whether to repay a loan or save seems to suggest that saving the money is the best option.
    Not allowed to link but it's on the website.
    I'm trying to find out the effect of savings on repayment of a Plan 2 loan.
    The Government website says
    "You might end up paying your loan back sooner if your income from savings and investments is over £2,000 a year"
    I can't find any more information about this. You might have to repay is a bit vague! Does it include all investment income or is it just the taxable income? Income from ISAs wouldn't normally be declared on a tax return but would the SLC want 9% of it?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Unearned income (including savings interest) over £2,000 is only taken into account if you are required to complete a tax return to HMRC (e.g. if you're self-emplyed/pay higher rate tax). Otherwise it's just earned income over the repayment threshold per employment.

See subsection (4) of section 29 of the repayment regulations:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/470/regulation/29/made

That section doesn't apply if you are not required to submit a tax return.

Section 44 is the one that applies in respect of employment:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/470/regulation/44/made

[Note that the regulations and thresholds in particular have since been amended by subsequent regulations. The threshold for plan 1 is now £17,775 (rising to £18,330 in April 2018) and for plan 2 and postgraduate is £21,000.]
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,863
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Kadian wrote: »
    Hi! My son is currently in university, but has fallen behind in his work during his first year (isn't the first and won't be the last). Reality has hit, and he is now thinking he may have to start afresh. Is he entitled to any funding towards a repeat year? Thanks

Generally you would get funding for one (and only one) resit year.

I would suggest your son considers whether he just wants to repeat the year. The first year is usually a lot easier than second and third years. If he is struggling with the first year, he may do well to rethink his options.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    Ambassador
    Hi!

I've just received a refund for overpayment of my student loan (hooray!). What I'm wondering about is if I have to declare this as income on my tax self assessment? My google fu is weak today and I have been unable to find the answer elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!

No. It is an return of money that has already been taxed and/or declared.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Kadian wrote: »
    Hi! My son is currently in university, but has fallen behind in his work during his first year (isn't the first and won't be the last). Reality has hit, and he is now thinking he may have to start afresh. Is he entitled to any funding towards a repeat year? Thanks
    You always used to get funding for a full course PLUS one year, but ...

If reality really has hit, this is surely a question he should be researching for himself. Also his university tutor should be able to advise, and the Students' Union.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • RVH_2
    RVH_2 Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi
    Wondering about loans, bursaries and grants and grants available for future Medical Student. Currently finishing degree and been offered place at Med School - which is the 5 year course and is therefore considered as a second degree. Live in Wales Uni in England. Seems as if have to pay all tuition fee £9,250 for first 4 years and have no maintenance loan (parent earn too much just and still don't understand why student penalised for parents hard work.). At wits end wondering how to pay and live.:sad:
  • silvercar
    Ambassador
    RVH wrote: »
    Hi
    Wondering about loans, bursaries and grants and grants available for future Medical Student. Currently finishing degree and been offered place at Med School - which is the 5 year course and is therefore considered as a second degree. Live in Wales Uni in England. Seems as if have to pay all tuition fee £9,250 for first 4 years and have no maintenance loan (parent earn too much just and still don't understand why student penalised for parents hard work.). At wits end wondering how to pay and live.:sad:

I don't know if you can get career development loans? No maintenance loan at all or just not get the means tested part? You probably need to speak to your parents to see if they can support you. Could you live at home?

Any chance of getting on a post grad scheme?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,859
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you researched financing for medical students?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback