Had PPI but can't go to Ombudsman

Comments

• macca1974
    macca1974 Posts: 218 Forumite
    didn't endowments used to have "waiver of premium"? or was that just pensions? Not PPI I know but that might be what is being referred to.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    macca1974 wrote: »
    didn't endowments used to have "waiver of premium"? or was that just pensions? Not PPI I know but that might be what is being referred to.

Yep. Waiver of premium and critical illness cover were the two bolt on options for endowments. As you say, not PPI.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Yes it definitely Mortgage payment protection insurance I had as I am looking at the paperwork now.and I paid £22.64 1/1/200 right up until last year. The bank wrote to me giving me a full explanation why I was refused a refund but it just seemed like jargon to me to avoid paying.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The bank wrote to me giving me a full explanation why I was refused a refund but it just seemed like jargon to me to avoid paying.
    It might be useful if you posted exactly what that "jargon" reply was...
    No need to post any personal information, just the rejection reasons.

I thought you had an Endowment?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes it definitely Mortgage payment protection insurance I had as I am looking at the paperwork now.and I paid £22.64 1/1/200 right up until last year.

in post#8 you said it was an endowment policy.
    The bank wrote to me giving me a full explanation why I was refused a refund but it just seemed like jargon to me to avoid paying.

Most MPPI is rejected. Its one of two types of PPI where most complaints fail. They do not use jargon in their responses. They take your reasons for complaint and reply as to why they are rejecting those and the complaint overall. That "jargon" is important as it tells you everything you need to know.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Yes also definitely had an endowment policy too. It basically said it wasn't miss sold it was paid separately to my mortgage and as I had a one on one meeting it would have been fully explained to me at the time. It said I worked more than 16 hours and that I had no pre-existing medical condition, therefore i would have been paid out if I was unable to pay my mortgage was the crux of it. Also that is was never a requirement to take out payment care.
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    Yes also definitely had an endowment policy too.
    That won't have had PPI.
    It basically said it wasn't miss sold it was paid separately to my mortgage and as I had a one on one meeting it would have been fully explained to me at the time. It said I worked more than 16 hours and that I had no pre-existing medical condition, therefore i would have been paid out if I was unable to pay my mortgage was the crux of it. Also that is was never a requirement to take out payment care.
    Seems like a pretty comprehensive rejection, stating that you were eligible for the policy, that it was set up and explained correctly and that you had the option to refuse it. Basically, it is saying why you were NOT mis-sold and it's not simply "jargon" at all.

Nothing you have stated indicates that the complaint would fare any better at the Ombudsman, but I'm still unable to understand why the Claims Company said it was pre-regulation and so could not be referred.
  • the thing is I worked for the NHS at the time and I had been with them since 1992 so if made redundant I would have got a good pay out. Equally my Mum had been diagnosed with breast cancer in 1999 and Abbey had told when I got the mortgage I would not be able to get critical illness cover because of this, at the time I was outraged, I already had a critical illness policy with them which had to kept at the balance of my previous mortgage as they said because my Mum had been diagnosed it could herididtory. Therefore I wonder if the PPI would have paid out if I had to claim because of a similar condition if it arose?
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    the thing is I worked for the NHS at the time and I had been with them since 1992 so if made redundant I would have got a good pay out.
    No redundancy payment is ever guaranteed. This is not a valid complaint reason.
    Therefore I wonder if the PPI would have paid out if I had to claim because of a similar condition if it arose?
    A possible hereditary condition is NOT the same as a pre-existing one.

I'd let this one go if I were you. Your Claims Management Company already has.
  • OK fair enough, but Sanatander said i could have taken it to the Ombudsman the reason I didn't was because the claims comapny told me I couldn't becuaseSantander/Abbey were not regulated when I took out the PPI and now the 6 months has long passed. Therefore \ assume Pleavin is not viable either?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure