Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Comments

• On your LBA, was it similarly worded to the the 1st? Do you make any additions to it, for instance, that you will claim interest from the time of delay?

On my LBA I just referred to the previous letter I had sent including reiterating the reason and value of my claim.
  • mrscb
    mrscb Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was on a flight from Malaga to Leeds that's was delayed by 6 hours.
    I emailed jet2 for the full reasons of the delay(originally told due to fog the previous day in Leeds our plane had to go to Manchester which caused problems the day after) I got initial response saying I would get a reply in 28 days...which I didn't! so I've made a claim using the template.
    The problem I have is , we were due to be on a large plane but as one wasn't available 2 smaller ones were sent. The original flight number was LS186 ,which was also the number of the first plane to leave..however we were on the second which was LS186a and doesn't show on flight stats.. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, ours was an hour later than the first. Is this likely to cause problems?
    :beer: Am thinking of a new one:beer:
  • Jet2 flight LS476 Dalaman to LBA 24th September 2010. Arrived at LBA almost 7hrs late after actually flying to Manchester and busing to LBA.
    Firstly I emailed them with my claim and full details. Next they asked for a claim by letter. I again sent this with full details. Next they asked for full details again but requesting the actual booking confirmation, even though they had already been given the booking reference twice. Luckily I still had email on my computer.
    I now have a responce from them. After wrongly quoting the date and destination of the flight concerned and the usual customer service splurge this is the body of their answer.
    ' Turning to your request for compensation under Regulation 261/2004, while Jet2.com endeavours to arrive on time, you will no doubt appreciate that we have occasions where this is not possible. On investigation, extraordinary circumstances led to the delay of your flight. Compensation for delays caused by extraordinary circumstances is excluded under Regulation 261/2004. More specifically the delay was caused by an unexpected flight safety shortcoming. Consequenty , there is no entitlement to compensation on this occasion.'

I have now written back to Jet2 saying that their letter gives no evidence of such extraordinary circumstances and given that they even got the flight details wrong can their judgement even be trusted.
    ' Please now provide a full and detailed explanation of the extraordinary circumstances that caused the delay to this flight so that I may pass these onto the CAA for their interpretation. You can not unilaterally classify a delay as such without a full and detailed explanation so others can also judge. Please provide this evidence within 14 days'

I'll report back on the reply I get.
  • mrscb
    mrscb Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you Centipede100.. Unfortunately the claim has gone.
    . After landing we had to wait ages for wheelchair assistance for my son as they were not expecting us,as all passengers requiring assistance were meant to be on the first flight!!
    I will see what reply I get..which I presume will be a no.
    :beer: Am thinking of a new one:beer:
  • I have now drawn up a letter asking Jet2 to provide me with the details of the "extraordinary circumstance" which caused my flight to be delayed by 6 hours. So, I will see what they say next
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I am just looking into this after seeing the article on here today. I was on a Jet2 flight from Belfast to Toulouse in May 2011 that was delayed by 3 and a half hours (I was going to my father's funeral, to make things even worse...).
    However, since I was quite upset at the time, I can't now remember what they said the cause of the delay was...Is this important to include in the letter?

Also, do I need to send the letter by post, or can I email it to Jet2?

Many thanks!
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    It is vital that you find out the cause of the delay as this directly affects the entitlement to compensation. I would send it by snail mail with proof of postage (free at the PO counter) but tht's just me.

Thanks. How would I go about finding out the cause? The only thing I can remember is that the plane hadn't not even left Toulouse at the time we were scheduled to take off from Belfast, but I don't know why. It's possible they didn't tell us, actually.
  • y-o-r-k-y wrote: »
    Jet2 flight LS476 Dalaman to LBA 24th September 2010. Arrived at LBA almost 7hrs late after actually flying to Manchester and busing to LBA.
    Firstly I emailed them with my claim and full details. Next they asked for a claim by letter. I again sent this with full details. Next they asked for full details again but requesting the actual booking confirmation, even though they had already been given the booking reference twice. Luckily I still had email on my computer.
    I now have a responce from them. After wrongly quoting the date and destination of the flight concerned and the usual customer service splurge this is the body of their answer.
    ' Turning to your request for compensation under Regulation 261/2004, while Jet2.com endeavours to arrive on time, you will no doubt appreciate that we have occasions where this is not possible. On investigation, extraordinary circumstances led to the delay of your flight. Compensation for delays caused by extraordinary circumstances is excluded under Regulation 261/2004. More specifically the delay was caused by an unexpected flight safety shortcoming. Consequenty , there is no entitlement to compensation on this occasion.'

I have now written back to Jet2 saying that their letter gives no evidence of such extraordinary circumstances and given that they even got the flight details wrong can their judgement even be trusted.
    ' Please now provide a full and detailed explanation of the extraordinary circumstances that caused the delay to this flight so that I may pass these onto the CAA for their interpretation. You can not unilaterally classify a delay as such without a full and detailed explanation so others can also judge. Please provide this evidence within 14 days'

I'll report back on the reply I get.

Jet2 have written a reply to my letter, apologising for the inaccuracies in the original reply. They assure me they did investigate the correct flight and say 'We were sorry to note that we were unable to resolve your complaint on this occasion and your ongoing dissatisfaction is regretable.' ' Please be assured we will be reviewing your corresponence and will endeavour to respond fully as soon as possible'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Jet2 have decided to defend the claim. Awaiting the details of their defence.
    Should be interesting since the limited infor I got nearly 2 years ago was a tech on previous flight.. They have to date declined to provide any further information.
    I know the the previous flight was delayed due to several attempted but failed fixes. I also know that the aircraft had not flown for at least 4 days previously.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The fact that they have not proved EC's in any correspondence to you makes your filing a claim entirely reasonable IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure