What is the future of the forum after we join the MoneySupermarket group?

Comments

• ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,913
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    how to seek and obtain the best utility deals, insurance quotes, how to check credit references,

But once you've learnt that once, you know how to do it yourself and don't need the instructions anymore, right?
    That's why I fully believe that the main site has less visitors, or at least different visitors, to the forum.
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    If posters are posting things about his wife or name calling then they should be ashamed of themselves.

I totally agree, its disgusting

Most, if not everyone else would have taken the money and left, I think its great that Martin is staying around to look after things.
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • PaulW1965
    PaulW1965 Posts: 240 Forumite
    An heroic effort at damage limitation - Gerald Ratner Would be proud of you ;)
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    ScarletBea wrote: »
    But once you've learnt that once, you know how to do it yourself and don't need the instructions anymore, right?
    Perhaps others have a better memory than me, or pay more attention to the adverts. I can never remember which companies I'm meant to check to get the best spread of comparison, hence why I refer to the MSE main site!

As someone else said, I'm not always logged in when I look at the main site - sometimes I'll look at the sensible stuff in my lunch-hour at work (not logged in), whereas I'll look at the forum in the evening.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Sue-UU
    Sue-UU Posts: 9,555
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Many thanks indeed for all that, Martin, though I can understand the skepticism of many, myself included if I'm to be honest.

We all love the Forum as is and all changes, especially where potential sales come in, pose a threat - and folk don't like threats to their daily lives. MSE has become a large part of my life, it's been brilliant and I sincerely hope it's future is as good as it's past and the decor of my lounge at least is as good.

However, I shall be keeping a close eye on the pudding and eat it terribly slowly. :)

Many congratulations on MSE . ;)

Sue
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 = £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48 17 = £871.52 18 = £800.00 19 = £851.022021=£820.26[/SizeGrand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!! 2015 = £52.852.06! 2016 = £52, 002.40!! 2017 = £50,456.23!! 2018 = £47, 815.88! 2019 = £38.538.37!!!! :j
  • lee1985
    lee1985 Posts: 204 Forumite
    Right, I've been on this site for quite a few years and helped many people along the way. I never visit ANY other part of the site apart from the forums - they have all you need to know.

Some people are treating this buyout as a religion - like they are so affected in heart and feelings and so on.

Get a life people seriously.

The site and the forums will still be here - you will still be able to give advice and receive advice as normal.

Nothing changes - just your perception of the site which is completely irrelevant. I couldn't care less what goes on, what is advertised or anything - I don't worry about things that aren't important in my life.

The fact is, I can still give and receive advice just as before.

Therefore, nothing changes.

To go on about this like you are truly hurt in feelings like your wives or husbands have just left you is stupid. Who cares about the management of the site - it's not going anywhere, is it?
    I have worked at HSBC Bank in various departments both customer facing and process-related for six years. However, any advice given is my own.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Seeing as not one of us has ever paid one penny to use this site, I find it extraordinary that people seem to think they have any right to dictate what happens to it. Martin has never made any apology for the fact that it IS first and foremost a business, and he is rightly taking the rewards that he has worked long and hard for.

If anyone doesn't like the new format and decides to leave, don't let the door bang your backside on your way out. There will be thousands more registering under the new 'regime', all equally entitled to their views.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• £$&*"($£&(
    £$&*"($£&( Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Why distinguish the forum from the "main site". It's just another part of the site. You may find information on credit cards in the credit card section and further advice through the forum.

Over the years half a million people have registered on the forums. Some will be multiple identities and spam but that's a lot of people making use of the forum at sometime even if only once.

The thing that is most likely to go is The Arms section including Discussion Time.
  • coupleuk
    coupleuk Posts: 394
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MSE has always promised an ad-free website. Perhaps Martin will confirm that the place wont become littered with ad-links leading to MoneySupermarket etc.

For the time being IF the site continues as it is now, I dont see any major problem - even though it does feel like a sell-out.

BUT, once things like "google-ads" start appearing then the independance has gone - and I will be off too.

Of course, should someone manage to set-up a true community (or charity) site which cannot be sold off for profit then I could see people jumping ship far sooner.
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Fifer wrote: »
    I'm truly astonished Edilass. I can understand forumites being in the minority of main site users and being the less frequent users (after all, much of the information on the main site comes from os is replicated in the forums) but that MOST forumites NEVER, EVER visit the main site? My flabber is well and truly gasted. How do they find out about the forums to join?

I dont use the main site either (find it rather cluttered, and not much use).

I found this site via google - as will many.

Due to the millions of posts, covering virtually every topic under the sun (usually many times over) pretty much every search is covered with a result to money saving expert. The forum is probably the best advertising the site has online.

Once in the forum, links to the ads and main site are viewable for those that wish to use those.
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure