Debt free in ten years-my new, more realistic challenge.

Comments

• poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I haven't looked at this thread for ages but doing so has made me feel much better about our debt as I can see how well we have done.

To my amazement, since I last posted at the end of August,we have paid off £2600!! The supplier invoice of £850 was paid off faster than I thought possible.

I have to admit we have worked hard at not spending and have no heating oil as we are so determined to pay off our debts. We have a wood burning stove in the living room so will not freeze.

Christmas is going to be another frugal affair with small 'token' gifts for close family and all those invited for Christmas dinner to bring something for the meal.

Next challenge is to pay off the garage bills.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • poohbear59
    My son has just reminded me that we have also paid off another debt of £280 so total paid off since the end of August is £2800. I can't express how happy it makes me.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Thats really great :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • poohbear59
    edited 3 January 2012 at 1:35PM
    Today we owe £62715. That means we have paid off £4385 since August:j:j:j:j:j:j

The bad news is that I have just £1.37 in my purse. DH has nothing and we have no available balance in the current account :(
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    How long til you get more £££'s?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • poohbear59
    I just committed a dreadful MSE sin. I have taken £100 cash out of a credit card. It is one we don't owe anything on so will pay it off as soon as we get some real cash. I bought food at Aldi and paid for some petrol so we can get out and about a bit. We have a cheque due to clear any day and expect a cheque from electricity company soon. At least all loan payments are made and we now have food in the fridge. We had completely run out of fresh fruit and vegetables and also cheese and spread.
  • HappyNow
    HappyNow Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper First Post
    Hello, your diary caught my eye because I too am aiming to be debt free by 60, give or take a year. I will be 53 tomorrow (Yay!) so I need to pull my finger out if I'm going to achieve that.

Your story sounds really inspiring and I will follow your diary with interest. And as for the £100 CC withdrawal, well, you've got to eat and you have plans in place to make it strictly short-term x
    LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Finally free of unsecured debt 21st May 21!

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured £69,579 + Mortgage £59,948 = £129,527
    Debt May 21: Unsecured ZERO! ZILCH! Mortgage £22,332
  • poohbear59
    HappyNow wrote: »
    Hello, your diary caught my eye because I too am aiming to be debt free by 60, give or take a year. I will be 53 tomorrow (Yay!) so I need to pull my finger out if I'm going to achieve that.

Your story sounds really inspiring and I will follow your diary with interest. And as for the £100 CC withdrawal, well, you've got to eat and you have plans in place to make it strictly short-term x

Happy Birthday!!

Thank you for your comment.
    It is a great feeling having food in the cupboard and fridge so your comment helped me to accept what we have done with the cc was the right thing to do at the time.

I will be 53 on 20th. So we both have 7 years until we are debt free: being very postive about it.:)
  • poohbear59
    Today did not start out very well. It was too cold in the house to do anything. The chimney fire we had two nights ago has meant we have had to keep the boiler off. The 112 mph gusts on Great Dunn Fell were just a few miles from us and meant that DH had to wait until today to tackle cleaning the chimney.

So we have had the chimney breast partly taken apart to clean the chimney properly. The kitchen is a mess despite all the dust sheets BUT the work was done free by DH. :D

He has also cleaned out the boiler, all we need now is to have the oil heating engineer come and find out why it was spurting out tarry soot. :eek: It is amazing what people are able to do when money is tight.

Last week DS2 and DS1 put a new door onto the living room so that the draughts are reduced. It cost us the door (just a cheap pine one) and the hinges and a good job they did too. It was a necessity but cost very little. They are a chemist and an archaeologist.
  • poohbear59
    edited 6 January 2012 at 6:26PM
    We are working hard to ensure we do not get into any more debt, but have bills that need paying. Today DS2 and I have spent time printing up bank statements so that we can actually see where all money is going. He is also working on setting up Quickbooks for me so I can keep a closer eye on business spending as all business spending is less in our pockets at the end of the day.

Tomorrow's plan is to; find out exactly how much the business owes us.
    phone accountant to find an end of year balance for last year
    sort out and burn all unnecessary bills and bank statements
    look around the house room by room for items we don't need that we can either sell or freegle to declutter
    find a cheap dog insurance

That may be too much for one day but it means we can have a break from mind bending work and move onto easy things like burning :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback