PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 March 2017 at 3:25PM
    greenbee wrote: »
    I think you'll find it was you :)
    :D Lol, could be, although I've been trying for decades, with limited success thus far.

Just went for a family walk. River's still there, with ducks, moorhen, canada geese and egyptian geese. We saw a bumblebee go down a mouse hole and a couple of deer.

:o Ahem, the deer were grazing on the common, not down the mouse hole with the bee. We also nearly acquired someone's Rottweiler. Dogs seem to really like my Dad and often want to come home with him; I think the recognise a keen walker when they see one.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • hebwood
    hebwood Posts: 78 Forumite
    Another fan of GQ updates.

Most impressed that quite a few of you can change plugs. My father, and various (!) husbands inc. this one, did it/does it without any problems, so never learnt. Also changing lightbulbs. Really must learn - Justin.

Lovely weather - been out in the garden quite a bit, tidying up the dead leaves/weeds/deadheading, brushing down the table, chairs and bench, etc.

Gentle KM going on inside, huge cushion that I have had for years (thanked for stirling service) plus some clothes going out in charity collection bag tomorrow.

Enjoy this weather. H.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Ach, there's nothing to changing plugs once you've been shown how it's done. Useful to know how to crack 'em open with a screwdriver to change the fuses, too. Relllie of mine had a side-gig buying small electricals inc lamps from bootsales often sold as non-working for pennies or even picked out of rubbish piles..

They usually needed nothing more than a new fuse, sometimes needed a descaling treatment for things which had water inside them, this is classified as a very hard water area and there's a high rate of attrition on kettles and coffee-makers etc. TBH, the isn't an awful lot to go wrong with a lamp so they're pretty easy to fix.

Will be heading out of town in a couple of hours or so, back to the big city. Feeling a bit poorly with the cold, going to be joyous tomorrow - work and emergency dental appt, I reckon I need to kondo a toof.

Just discussing with Kid Bruv that I've a few more books and some DVDs which I want to watch and then turf out for the Easter weekend bootsale we're intending to do, so will have to get cracking on them.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm old enough to remember when all the wiring colours for plugs changed. There was a Labour politician at the time called George Brown who was known to get a bit tired and emotional at times. So the way to remember the colour was George Brown is a live wire
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So on with the kondoing after a lazy day yesterday.

Reduced an IKEA blue bag of cleaning supplies & lightbulbs to fit in my under sink cupboard by kondoing the contents of the cupboard, organised the bit of my kitchen under the breakfast bar (got rid of excess reusable shopping bags), two more bags of charity shop stuff to go from the junk cupboard & dusting, vacuuming & cleaning of the kitchen/hallway/stairs/living room done.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I used to teach children how to wire plugs, I only ever gave them 10 or zero. It seemed to sink in then that the plugs had to be wired perfectly. Useful to know in case a cable needs to be shortened

That sheepskin rug is soft light rectangular and very flexible, so I am thinking that it would br lovely on my couch in autumn through winter. If I have a nap then I have that nap on that couch, the thought of sheepskin, mmm lovely. I only have half an hour max but it energises me

I did a quick undersink tidy this morning, took me five minutes thanks to previous kondo :D

It is soon time to think about clothes kondo in earnest, skirts are done and trousers part done. I can`t bear to remove tops that are nice and fit, even though not worn much. I think I will keep them to replace worn out tops over time. Other than that, I kind of think that main kondo is finished
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have worked in the garden for two full days in bright sunshine (but with a very chilly wind, brrrr). DH bought me four bags of compost; I told him to not buy the cheapest, so he bought the bags of €6,40 (£5.50) each! Especially suitable for seeds and seedlings, which is perfect. Quite a few trays started already, some with old seeds, and I will just see if they germinate. If they do, perfect, if they don't, nothing lost. I have enlarged two of the flowerbeds, and kondoed the nasty weeds and as many of the roots as I could. All of this with lots of breaks reading Harry Potter and instructing my dds to play with the neighbours' children :)

As they came from the line: one wintercoat for ragging, seven longsleeves and T-shirts to the attic.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The plug chat has tickled me as we were in home base yesterday and there were some plugs near the light bulbs we were getting. Granted there was card covering where the wire went in but DD1 did ask me if i thought that was cheap for a usb plug as she thought once you took off the card there was a 'port' there. I chuckled and then had to explain what a plug was because, as you rightly point out they are joined to the wire now. When we got home i had to show her on the old faithful iron!
    Go get it!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No kondoing at all from me today, I've been visiting rellies too.
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Will be heading out of town in a couple of hours or so, back to the big city. Feeling a bit poorly with the cold, going to be joyous tomorrow - work and emergency dental appt, I reckon I need to kondo a toof.
    GQ, thank you for the updates! But you really don't sound well - sorry you've got all the travel, and work **and** a dental appointment. I know you're good at self care, but please look after yourself :)
    maryb wrote: »
    I'm old enough to remember when all the wiring colours for plugs changed. There was a Labour politician at the time called George Brown who was known to get a bit tired and emotional at times. So the way to remember the colour was George Brown is a live wire
    I remember all that too :) the rhyme I was taught was this:
    Brown is live
    Blue is not
    Yellow and Green
    Earth the lot

Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That rug was niggling me and I found the perfect solution :j
    I brought it downstairs and tried it on the sofa, sofa is like a big dark brown faded chesterfield and takes lots of big cushions, it has two feather filled cushion seats and easily sits three. I had a throw over the seat cushions and put the rug on top of that. I am talking rug but it has a fabric back and is very soft. I tucked all sides in and put the row of cushions back on. It looks bloomin marvellous, a perfect match to the stone floor, what a bit of luck. A proper day bed as well as sofa :) and looks very comfortable with the option of using it as a rug if ever I need one and also temporary changes of texture and colours if I fancy a change for a while. I was so determined :grin: I can sleep happy now with problem solved
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure