Ask Atos Healthcare disability assessment questions

Comments

• The approved health care professionals' (HCPs) role is to carry out an assessment of the functional effects of the customer's disabling condition, and to utilise the information gathered to provide the decision maker with an impartial and independent assessment.
    What specific disability analysis training do doctors, nurses and physiotherapists receive over and above their general medical training?

Before working for Atos Healthcare, healthcare professionals must have at least 3 years’ post-registration experience across a wide range of specialities, and this must include some generalist training. All employees are provided with additional, comprehensive training specific to disability analysis. For the Work Capability Assessment, this includes an 8 day course for all doctors and a 17 day course for nurses and physiotherapists.
    Training of healthcare professionals can be considered in three distinct areas:
    1. Generic training
    2. Training to undertake benefit-specific assessments
    3. Scrutiny and file work training
    Now I have a question…

Mr X has had a quadruple bypass leaving him with left ventricular failure to those who don’t know (heart failure) and later develops type 2 diabetes which then complicates matters even more.

Mr Y who has had a single bypass with no other complications.

Mr Z who was born with Spina bifida (Almost all patients with Spina Bifida will require lifelong antibiotics to prevent infection. Approximately 70% of all spina bifida patients will have to have some form of drug therapy later in life to try to control their bladder over-activity, and approximately 70% will have to practice clean intermittent catheterisation on a lifelong basis)

Mr XX Who through an accident at work lost the use of the right side of his body.

Now all these people send in their filled out ESA50 which is then scrutinised by a basic nurse with no additional qualifications except a 17 day disability analysis course provided by Atos.
    How is it that a basic nurse is able to learn so much about a person’s ability when they have only had an additional 17 days training? Bearing in mind the different complications that all illnesses may carry, and then make a recommendation about what they believe?

I would like a specific answer and not something copied from the Atos website.
  • Dear atos rep

Do the HCP doctors,nurses and physiotherapist that work in the assessment centres stay working at the same assessment centre or do atos move them around to different centres regularly?
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    edited 20 February 2013 at 10:10PM
    Hi everyone

Just a reminder, please, not to post names and personal details on the forum.

The aim of the thread, for us, is to try to get some of our forum users' questions answered, in the same way as we did with the CAB Board pilot. If it's helping even just one person, which it seems to be at the moment, we feel it's worth it for the time being.

We're not under any illusion everyone will be happy with the answers but we hope Atos can answer all of them, even those that may not be entirely within the original remit it told us it could reply to.

Please do make sure if you're asking a question to direct it to Atos so it's clear it's a question you'd like answered rather than a passing comment the reps responding may not be sure about.

Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • FTW
    FTW Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    I see there are posts going missing now, is this the Atos rep with Admin rights who is doing this?

Probably.

or has Atos got the forum owners in their pocket?

Probably again.
  • Question for ATOS .

Can a decision be overturned with the intervention of another professional for example someone in local government ?. By that I mean a person declared fit for work by ATOS but not in the opinion of another professional .

Thank you .
    Never tell .
  • Atos_Healthcare_representative
    Atos_Healthcare_representative Posts: 221 Organisation Representative
    Olive_Oyl wrote: »
    Question for ATOS .

Can a decision be overturned with the intervention of another professional for example someone in local government ?. By that I mean a person declared fit for work by ATOS but not in the opinion of another professional .

Thank you .

Hi Olive Oyl

You would need to ask the DWP about the decision making process and the information their decision makers use. The report provided by Atos Healthcare is an important piece of evidence used by decision makers to determine whether someone meets the ESA criteria, but it is not the only information they have available.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Atos_Healthcare_representative
    Atos_Healthcare_representative Posts: 221 Organisation Representative
    Dear atos rep

Do the HCP doctors,nurses and physiotherapist that work in the assessment centres stay working at the same assessment centre or do atos move them around to different centres regularly?

Hi vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

HCPs will have a base location where they mostly work, but they will also work elsewhere.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Posts: 958 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2013 at 3:19PM
    Hi vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

HCPs will have a base location where they mostly work, but they will also work elsewhere.

In that case,if you have another assessment in the future at the same assessment centre,is it possible that you could get the same HCP you had in the past?
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Why can a claimant be given the name and GMC registration number of an Atos "doctor" but when it comes to an Atos "nurse" a claimant is only allowed to be given the nurse's their name and geographical location. Why can't a claimant be given a nurse's Registration number?
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi everyone

The aim of the thread, for us, is to try to get some of our forum users' questions answered, in the same way as we did with the CAB Board pilot. If it's helping even just one person, which it seems to be at the moment, we feel it's worth it for the time being.

The difference Andrea is that the CAB exists to help people unlike Atos who exist to throw people off their sickness and disability benefits.

There is a gulf of a difference between the CAB and Atos as seen by Atos's inhumane treatment of sick and disabled people as highlighted by MPs!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure