Holidays & job seekers allowance

I wonder if anyone can give me any advice I am on JSA & have been for some years we have had a rough year two close family bereavements & my wife diagnosed with a severe lung problem. My daughters have clubbed together for a weeks holiday in Cornwall for us but it is on the week I sign.
I am at my wits end trying to find out what to do it is paid for (a surprise) so we can't change it but we can not afford to loose benefits.
Could anyone offer any advice my daughter says to phone & say I'm sick but I am very worried about that any advice?
This lovely gift is now turning into a real stressful event.
Thank you

Comments

• I believe the official word is you should tell them if you go on holiday. Phoning to say you are sick is a bit dodgy, I would check to make sure they do not expect a doctor's note.
    Wanted a job, now have one. :beer:
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This question comes up regularly.... Tell them when you next sign on where and when you are going and request to sign on by post instead. Or sign on when you return. Don't tell them you are sick that'll cause more hassle.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    surely everyones entitled to a holiday, just tell them you are away for a week
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • In my case I had to tell them when I was going on holiday, sign off for that period of time, and sign back on when I came back. I believe that's the correct procedure.
  • hippygran
    hippygran Posts: 209
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Really don't think you have to worry.

Whilst my niece was claiming Job seekers last Autumn, she got the chance to go and visit my sister (her aunt) in Jersey, all expenses paid, and they told her that it was classed as abroad, so she would not be able to claim the week's money if she went, BUT she was allowed to visit me as a holiday in Wales, as its the UK!!!!

They were fine allowing here to change her signing on date, but did ask for my telephone contact details so they could phone her that week if they checked. She provided them with my address and telephone number as asked, but they didn't do any checking!

Good job really - I would have had to say she was out! She was actually in Jersey!

Still don't really get why the trip to Jersey wouldn't have been allowed - it was her 21st birthday treat!

So, by that reckoning if you are going to Cornwall, and you tell them where, and you give them a phone number (you could even show them the booking confirmation, and tell them it was a gift!), then you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Good Luck, and stop stressing, and have a lovely relaxing time!:)
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes you are entitled to holidays, I think only applies for UK holidays and its only two weeks, but you must give them notice.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • If the above 2 posts are correct then I apologise for giving the wrong information - and I am very annoyed at the fact I was made to sign off while visiting family down south!
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Taylorette wrote: »
    If the above 2 posts are correct then I apologise for giving the wrong information - and I am very annoyed at the fact I was made to sign off while visiting family down south!
    You may receive Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance for two weeks holidays (i.e. 12 days excluding Sundays) in any calendar year. These holidays may be taken abroad.
    If you intend going on holidays abroad, you should inform the Local Office two weeks in advance of your departure and complete form UP 30. All holiday payments will be made retrospectively when you return. If you go on holiday for longer than two weeks, you may be paid in respect of the first two weeks, but will not receive payment for any period abroad in excess of this.
    The qualified adult of a person in receipt of Jobseeker's Benefit may take up to two weeks' foreign holiday. A disqualification in respect of the increase for a qualified adult will be imposed in respect of any period in excess of 2 weeks. It is not necessary to complete a UP30 in respect of a qualified adult.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q22 ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • marleyboy wrote: »

Thank you so much for this. Every time I've enquired about going on holiday in the UK I have always been told I'd have to sign off and start claiming again when I'm back (by a number of staff members), and so I have. Do you think it's worth mentioning the above in relation to my previous enquiries (and subsequent loss of benefit) the next time I am there? I think I might do...

Also, I've just looked at this thread. An old one, I know, but this post at least seems to contradict the "going abroad" ability stated in your link:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=703753&postcount=16
  • wantsajob
    wantsajob Posts: 705 Forumite
    Wanted a job, now have one. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business