PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2016

Comments

• iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Wilsooon, and welcome. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Phase 2 of pond reconstruction has been happening today, it was taking ages to fill so I started looking through some boxes I had left at mums when I moved out. Helped by the leaking conservatory roof, I haven't had to make the decision whether to keep my old uni books or not, so a box of books have gone into the recycling bin, as did a teddy who had been attacked by moths. Sadly some photos seem to have been damaged by the water too but I will see whether any can be rescued, and whether I want to keep them.

Back home now to clear a space in the kitchen for a new fridge freezer. The old fridge has mostly given up the ghost, and I wanted to replace it with something that I would like to have in my new kitchen when that and an extension get done early next year. I just went in a local store to browse I found the make and model I wanted with £200 off (and cheaper than the Internet) so I realised I had saved up enough already and means the old fridge and one freezer can be retired/sold/ given away. Only problem is they are undercounter ones so this is in a slightly awkward place in the kitchen for the time being. Shou,d give me additional motivation to get the planning sorted!

Pub quiz tonight which includes supper so I don't have to think about that.

Just a thought. I had really struggled in the past to see the difference it makes just doing 10 mins here and there on a project as I don't always have time to do a lot, so for my garden corner clearance project I have been taking photos as I go along. It's been really nice to look back and see I have made a big difference already, despite it not feeling like it. I can highly recommend it for other projects.

S x
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • Making do....eating what we have in rather than eating out (that includes a cheeky packaged sarnie from the bakery that rhymes with Leggs!)

Minimising...lots of weeds from front and backgardens. Also got rid of some plasterboard the kindly plasterer left in our back garden which has been slowly rotting and adding to the gravel :(

Mending....I'm sure there's plenty of bits and bobs for me to have a go at, I just need to find it all!
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi chums back from my holidays and exhausted by all the fun,going to have a few days doing as little as possible :)Today though I did my holiday washing and got it dried.This afternoon I just sat and knitted and watched some catch-up tv.Shortly off to DDs for Sunday dinner which my son-in-law will cook.Still a bit warm here in the south east,even though there was a light shower this morning.
    Life will soon get back to normal though when the children go back to school and folks get back to work.

I have a list of to-do jobs as long as my arm ,but they will have to wait until the weather cools down a bit

Cheers chums, still trying to minimise my freezer :)

JackieO xx
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    glad your back home safe and sound jackieO. chores can wait. x
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Evening All. Nothing done today!!! Met up with some friends late this morning and only got home a little while ago. Had a good day yesterday though, a large bag of odds and sods to the CS and a bag of clothing to the Sally Army. I was also very lucky, my Godmother gave me back my sewing machine as she can no longer sew but when I got it home I didn't have the foot control and she lives 200 mi!es from me! I asked in my local hospice craft shop as they sometimes have machines donated if they had any spare and the manageress found one for me. I was really pleased as I didn't want to bother GM as she is getting frail now. I will now be able to complete some heavy duty mending ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • I have made £70 on ebay minimising stuff, woohoo.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Silva that was smart thinking. It's so wonderful when things turn out like that. I always ask the desk clerk if they have an iPhone charger in their lost and found when staying in a hotel. Chargers are the #1 thing left behind. Might as well help them lighten their box because I lose mine staying places too.

Jackie I thought of you and your family while you were away and smiled at the pictures! Memories made and teaching of another generation how important family is too. Such a positive message every time you post about them.

Congrats Hester! That's really wonderful. That ££ should help somewhere!

We gratefully received leftover BBQ, a cake, pie, potato salad, a cheese ball, tortilla chips, artichoke spinach dip and green chile tortillas and cornbread from DSD's GF's funeral meal. I'm freezing much of it and will use it in the coming month.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks Mila, in the UK today we have a 'bank' holiday which is now the last monday in August and then its no more national holidays in England and Wales until Christmas.The weather is looking good , but I am going to just potter around today I think.

No food shopping to buy as I bought enough fresh stuff on Friday when I got home so I shall hopefully start to get on with some of my to-do jobs. Ironing the bits that really need ironing and folding the rest that don't is the first job this morning so I will be minimising the 'Mount Ironmore' :):):)

All the accounts are done and up to date, and a belt-tightening operation is on the cards as I have spent rather a bit more than I expected on holiday ,but I'm not worried as I'm pretty good at 'frugaling'

I definitely want to try and see the freezer emptied before Christmas ,so lots of 'freezer diving' for meals over the next few months to minimise the food glut in there. A good bit of Making do ahead I think. No mend yet but I shall check on all the bits I iron just in case of missing buttons etc.

Hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful weather

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi

I think I may need to follow JackiEO's lead and get frugalling refocused. I am hoping to change the way I work so my salary will decrease, but the reduction in commuting time will be worth it. I can't quite work out what money I will have so would rather err on the side of caution and get into better habits again now.

I have also loved the weather we have been having, it's been gorgeous here in Kent. I have now run out of collected rainwater so I am hoping for a short drenching to top things back up.

This evening supper is chickpea Kiev burgers from stores, I want to get one row knitted on my OHs jumper - hoping to finish it before the winter but it's large and I knit slowly.
    I am also going to look through my 'beauty' drawer to see what I have already, and can take or decant to take on my holiday and what I will need to get. That should minimise and make do!
    S x
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Feel like I've not been in there for a while, hope everyone is well. Last night I mended a pair of Dh work trousers, a toy monkey belonging to DGS and ds2s gfs, fave bag which had a broken strap.
    Minimised loads to the CS at the weekend, making a veggie lasagne tonight from stuff in the fridge, plus a spag Bol for ds2 and a friend who is stopping over.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure