The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Is it OK to wear knee high boots to a job interview?

Smart black ones with a low heel - not tarty or casual. I know it's going to be wet out and they're the only things I have that are both smart and weather appropriate (and I can't walk in heels!) - I'd be wearing them with a smart almost-knee-length dress, tights and a blazer.

Comments

• What level of job are you going for?

Obviously would really need to see them in the flesh, so to speak, but in general I'd try to avoid them. For a call centre staff, PA, administrator etc then you can get away with it. I would argue less so for a "professional" role.

Search on here though as lots ask the question and everyone chips in with their pennies worth
  • Yes!

(Sorry, less than 10 characters.)
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Some people might see them as inappropriate, so best to avoid. In general, a pair of black flat shoes are pretty useful and don't have to cost a fortune. I'd try and buy or borrow some for the interview.

My friend worked in a shop years ago and when a lady came in asking about a job, the prospective employer decided she wasn't suitable based on her footwear. So little things like this can make a difference, they probably shouldn't but just in case

I would try and invest in a pair of interview shoes. They will be useful too, when you get a job, which fingers crossed could be very soon.
  • I think they'd be alright with thick black tights. Gone are the days of sober suit and sensible heels, especially if you don't wear them all the time. Far better to be relaxed in your clothes than feeling like you've overdone it. I've interviewed dozens of people and I'm happy to see someone in a dress and heels. That's what I wear as the interviewer as I don't own a suit!
  • It's for an admin role, but not a secretarial one, if you know the kind of thing I mean - so with responsibility but not "professional" as such.

I do wear the boots in my current job a lot, and many other women wear similar. My general instinct is that they'll be OK, but just wondered if there's one of those unwritten "you must never do this!" rules about boots and I'll be making a terrible faux pas. (Personally I think wearing boots in winter is a very sensible thing to do and would therefore reflect well on someone - but then, I'm not the one interviewing!)
  • I'd say they arent the best choice but unlikely to cost you the job
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    I would say only if you cover them with trousers. That is unless you are a woman.
  • I think you'd be fine - boots and a dress/skirt can look really smart. I have to dress professionally for my job and I quite often wear boots - I have about 10 pairs! I've interviewed loads of people and it certainly wouldn't have any kind of negative impact on me.
    I did once interview someone for a receptionist job at a doctor's surgery and she turned up in flip flops with her purse in her hand! She looked like she was just popping out to the shops! (she didn't get the job)
  • Dollardog
    Dollardog Posts: 1,774
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm going to go against the trend here and say that I think bearing in mind the weather at the moment, as long as they are smart, I can't see a problem, even for a professional job. Especially with a knee length skirt.
    Hope you get the job!!
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,278
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you really want the job then i suggest this outfit:

sexy+secretary.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing