New TSB app

Comments

• poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ugh. The new TSB android app bans rooted devices
    This app won’t run on a rooted device
    When a device is rooted, safeguards built into Android are overridden and could leave it more vulnerable to attack by things like malware, putting your data at risk. For this reason, we don't allow our app to run on rooted devices.

So spurious. I can log in to the TSB website using the browser on a rooted phone, or indeed on a spyware-infected windows PC. Banning rooted devices doesn't improve security, it just annoys power users.

I know Barclays also bans rooted devices, HSBC doesn't. Anybody know what other bank apps ban rooted devices?
    poppy10
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    The approval rating for the new TSB app has slumped to 2.2 out of 5 on the Google Play Store. This is the lowest ranking of any UK bank app, -most of them are over 4 stars as was the old TSB app. Let's hope the developers take note and come up with some drastic improvements before they switch the old app off.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,401 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    They've now followed Nationwide in demanding an update past iOS7 :mad: Minimum 8.0 for the old app or 8.1 for the new.
  • Have downloaded the app a few times over the last 2 months or so. Every time I attempt to use it I can only get as far as logging in and then it crashes. I still have the old app on my phone so not sure if that's not helping.
    I have a Samsung S4 mini so maybe my phone is too old...
  • Yesterday's update claims to address battery drain, amongst other things .
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Ugh. The new TSB android app bans rooted devices.

I know Barclays also bans rooted devices, HSBC doesn't. Anybody know what other bank apps ban rooted devices?
    first direct warns me that my phone is rooted, but allows me to use the app.

I think Tesco also bans rooted devices.
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm not a huge fan of the new TSB app, yes it's nice seeing pending transactions, but trying to figure some things out isn't fun. The old one was intuitive. As my main account is with the Bank of Scotland I like that the "old" one will be the one I use most (since it's the same platform). I left the Royal Bank earlier this year, and I have to say, theirs is the best mobile app I have seen. If they had decent accounts I would have stayed with them, but what the Bank of Scotland offers was so much better it was a no brainer.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,401 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    So I finally lost the will to live with apps refusing to work with iOS7 and updated my iPad 3 to iOS9 (highest it'll go.)

I assume TSB will eventually decide to stop supporting the old one, so I've downloaded the new and have it stored in a folder should that happen. Is there a way to stop the old one asking you if you want to download the new one every time? I thought it might stop it since I actually have the new installed but it doesn't.
  • colb15
    colb15 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There are lots of issues with the new app but the main one for me is the size of the font. It's ridiculously large, can only see a few transactions at a time.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    colb15 wrote: »
    There are lots of issues with the new app but the main one for me is the size of the font. It's ridiculously large, can only see a few transactions at a time.

Yes, and anybody near you can easily see your bank balance. What's the point of passwords and fingerprint logins etc., if the app doesn't give you any privacy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure