PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Comments

• Hi,
    I have had my mortgage for 17 years and am in the middle of remortgaging with another lender. The conveyancing company they use is trying to make me take out an indemnity policy on my leesehold. They are saying:

"Following our initial title check, it has come to light your property is registered as Good Leasehold a copy of which is enclosed. Good Leasehold titles are normally granted where, for some reason, the Land Owner that originally applied for registration was unable to produce to the Land Registry, sufficient evidence to enable the Land Registry to register the Land with what is known as Absolute title. Absolute title is the class of title that your Mortgage Lender, first direct, requires. Can you please advise if you already have an indemnity insurance policy in relation to this defect, in which case please could you send us a copy? In the event you do not hold a policy we can obtain a quotation for the Indemnity insurance from First Title insurance to protect you and the lender’s interest."

"You should have been provided one when you purchased your property as the property is not registered as Title Absolute which is what the majority of lenders require the the property to be in order to lend monies on them. It is a First Direct requirement that an indemnity policy must be put in place if the property be Good Leasehold."

I do not understand what any of this means or what this policy is for. Do I really need one? What is it insuring me against? I am getting no answers from this conveyancing company and feel like they are trying to make me buy something I don't need.

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Properties are registered at the Land Registry under different categories.

'Title Absolute' is the normal one, and means you 100% guaranteed own the property.

In your case, when you bought the flat, there was a problem as the seller did not have all the required documents to prove he was 100% in a position to sell to you.

So your Title is registered as 'Good Leasehold', not 'Title Absolute'.

This means there is a (very small) possibility that someone will come along and claim that they own your property, not you.

If that happened, you could lose the property. The insurance will pay out to you if that happened.

First Direct are insisting you have this insurance in case
    a) you stop paying the mortgage and they repossess the property from you, and
    b) this unknown person comes along and claims ownership

In that case First Direct would have neither your mortgage repayments nor the property.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,776 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    charlibish wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have had my mortgage for 17 years and am in the middle of remortgaging with another lender. The conveyancing company they use is trying to make me take out an indemnity policy on my leesehold. They are saying:

"Following our initial title check, it has come to light your property is registered as Good Leasehold a copy of which is enclosed. Good Leasehold titles are normally granted where, for some reason, the Land Owner that originally applied for registration was unable to produce to the Land Registry, sufficient evidence to enable the Land Registry to register the Land with what is known as Absolute title. Absolute title is the class of title that your Mortgage Lender, first direct, requires. Can you please advise if you already have an indemnity insurance policy in relation to this defect, in which case please could you send us a copy? In the event you do not hold a policy we can obtain a quotation for the Indemnity insurance from First Title insurance to protect you and the lender’s interest."

"You should have been provided one when you purchased your property as the property is not registered as Title Absolute which is what the majority of lenders require the the property to be in order to lend monies on them. It is a First Direct requirement that an indemnity policy must be put in place if the property be Good Leasehold."

I do not understand what any of this means or what this policy is for. Do I really need one? What is it insuring me against? I am getting no answers from this conveyancing company and feel like they are trying to make me buy something I don't need.

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Good, rather than Absolute, Leasehold title can be granted for a few reasons. The most common being that was what was applied for at the time of first registration and the applicant was unable to prove conclusively that the person(s) who granted the lease owned the freehold title. In essence they lacked evidence to confirm categorically that the landlord was able to grant the lease.

It's unlikely to have been an issue re your own seller when you bought as I suspect the title was already granted.

As posted it is insuring you (and the lender) against the risk that someone might come along and prove that the landlord had nor ight to grant the lease as they did not own the land and building. That risk may be very small but it exists so a lender will invariably wish to insure against it.

Have you checked to see if the freehold is now registered? Sometimes the freehold will be registered after all the lease has been granted as for example it changes hands and that triggers the need to register. I suspect it isn't as the conveyancer/lender may have checked but still worth confirming.

You could also look to try and identify who owns the freehold now BUT it's important to consider that carefully as any effort to do so might pse a problem for you getting an insurance policy. In essence your searching for the freeholder increases the risk of someone coming forward who isn't the one who granted the lease - extreme possibility but again a real risk to consider.

If the freehold is unregistered and ther eis no clue as to who owns it now and no prospect of resolving that aspect then it may be worth taking the indemnity insurance. It can be quite a small cost in the bigger scheme of things but again something your conveyancer should be able to confirm for you.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Woolsy84
    Woolsy84 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi,
    My mother-in-law recently had a bad stroke and is still in hospital. She owns 2 houses with no mortgage on either.
    We've only just found out that she transferred the land registery ownership on one of the houses over to my wife about a year ago, which was quite a surprise to both of us.
    Does this mean we have complete ownership of the house? Need some advice what this actually means as my wife didn't sign anything.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2018 at 5:37PM
    Dear L R rep!

Your earlier reply ...
    When they sell the house it would be 'split' from the existing title at that point and the buyer would get a new title. We would not split it beforehand.

So when they sell, bearing in mind Mojisola's post, they would transfer the ownership of the relevant part (TP1)

...prompts me to ask a similar question.

Friends are desperate to move to our street but houses rarely come to market.

The one which is now on sale is ideal; but far too big, as it is a conversion of an existing double-fronted coach house with a large garden and over 20 metres of frontage on to our street, a former Mews.

So they wonder whether they can buy it, appoint an architect and secure planning permission to convert or develop (which won't be a problem given the street frontage and many local precedents) then sell half, or less than half of the plot, undeveloped, as site for the buyer to build on.

The question is, given that they would hope to sell part of an existing building, whether they could separate the title without actually demolishing the part they don't want? In other words, can you draw an arbitrary line through the building and its rear garden, then parcel that up as a discrete rectangular plot, if there is not yet any obvious physical separation ?

The ideal outcome would be to end up with two, separate detached properties; theirs based on the existing one, a second, separate, smaller new-build on the released plot after demolition of that portion. A fall-back would be to have a semi-detached solution by securing permissions based on retaining but extending the existing building. In this latter case the separation would necessarily follow the line of one of the structural party walls.

They're not phased by the engineering or demolition challenges (he was a civil engineer) but not sure whether you can sell a newly created title to part of an existing structure with a view to later, physical separation?
  • Land_Registry
    Woolsy84 wrote: »
    Hi,
    My mother-in-law recently had a bad stroke and is still in hospital. She owns 2 houses with no mortgage on either.
    We've only just found out that she transferred the land registery ownership on one of the houses over to my wife about a year ago, which was quite a surprise to both of us.
    Does this mean we have complete ownership of the house? Need some advice what this actually means as my wife didn't sign anything.

We register the legal ownership of the property. There is also the beneficial ownership, namely who has what share, what's in the will or any trust etc to consider as well from a 'complete ownership' perspective.

I'd perhaps recommend contacting us with the specifics to get a copy of the application form and or transfer as appropriate and go from there re trying to understand what happened and why. Hopefully she used a solicitor although if she did then I'd have expected them to have been checking your wife's identity and agreement
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    edited 15 January 2018 at 6:52AM
    AlexMac wrote: »
    Dear L R rep!

Your earlier reply ...

...prompts me to ask a similar question.

Friends are desperate to move to our street but houses rarely come to market.

The one which is now on sale is ideal; but far too big, as it is a conversion of an existing double-fronted coach house with a large garden and over 20 metres of frontage on to our street, a former Mews.

So they wonder whether they can buy it, appoint an architect and secure planning permission to convert or develop (which won't be a problem given the street frontage and many local precedents) then sell half, or less than half of the plot, undeveloped, as site for the buyer to build on.

The question is, given that they would hope to sell part of an existing building, whether they could separate the title without actually demolishing the part they don't want? In other words, can you draw an arbitrary line through the building and its rear garden, then parcel that up as a discrete rectangular plot, if there is not yet any obvious physical separation ?

The ideal outcome would be to end up with two, separate detached properties; theirs based on the existing one, a second, separate, smaller new-build on the released plot after demolition of that portion. A fall-back would be to have a semi-detached solution by securing permissions based on retaining but extending the existing building. In this latter case the separation would necessarily follow the line of one of the structural party walls.

They're not phased by the engineering or demolition challenges (he was a civil engineer) but not sure whether you can sell a newly created title to part of an existing structure with a view to later, physical separation?

You can sell any part of a registered title if the buyer is happy with the terms and defined split. The devil would be in the detail so if you split along structural lines and then removed the structure you need to be clear as to where the boundary then exists.

See our PG 40 sup 2 re plans for leases/transfers of part for an idea of the quality of plan we would need. The buyer may want more depending on the devilish detail of course
  • Barter
    Barter Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi LR rep,

I'm selling an unregistered house after 45 years of living in it.
    It has a very small flying freehold (c.3% of the total area) which has never been an issue. I think the previous owner made a declaration in the deeds to that effect when she sold.
    The buyers' solicitor now wants me to pay for indemnity insurance. I am trying to find out whether this is a condition of their lender.
    But if not, is it essential from the Land Registry side, or just preferable for the buyers? (and, if anyone knows, who should pay for it?)
    Many thanks.
  • Land_Registry
    Barter wrote: »
    Hi LR rep,

I'm selling an unregistered house after 45 years of living in it.
    It has a very small flying freehold (c.3% of the total area) which has never been an issue. I think the previous owner made a declaration in the deeds to that effect when she sold.
    The buyers' solicitor now wants me to pay for indemnity insurance. I am trying to find out whether this is a condition of their lender.
    But if not, is it essential from the Land Registry side, or just preferable for the buyers? (and, if anyone knows, who should pay for it?)
    Many thanks.

Indemnity is usually sought to cover against the risk of somethign happenign to disprove a 'claim' against or weakness/defect in the title. It reads as if they are happy to buy and then register but only if you insure against the risk of them not getting absolute title for example.

In cases of doubt nowadays a buyer will often ask the seller to register the title first and then consider the risk, if any remains.

Who pays the cost is a matter for seller/buyer to resolve in the same way the sale/purchase price is often negotiated up ro down. There's no right answer to the who pays Q
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    When I bought the seller paid for the policy. It won't be that much so don't make a big deal of it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback