Haggle with AA, Admiral & more

Former_MSE_Rebecca
Former_MSE_Rebecca Posts: 173 Forumite
edited 21 August 2015 at 4:12PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi folks,

We've just written a new guide - Haggle with AA, Admiral & more - please take a look and we would love to hear your feedback and successes here.

Thanks,

MSE Rebecca

Comments

• Hello, Right I switched home insurance to AA two years ago. This May I received my renewal. A bit higher than a quote on Compare The Market. I basically called the new customer line and quoted this information to AA. I managed to get my home contents reduced to the same quote as Compare The Market. I would advise anyone to do the same.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    MSE Rebecca spamming the forum with duplicate threads on the same subject

What next, flogging kitchens to us late night?
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    AA, Admiral, Plusnet, Halifax (house insurance) - all have to put up with me haggling each year.

So far this year I've:
    - reduced my wife's AA membership from the £160 renewal quote to £95 (using an RAC new member's quote of £99 for similar benefits as ammo)
    - reduced my Admiral multicar (3 cars) renewal quote by more than 20% (about £170)

I'm just about to call Plusnet but expect to equal or better the current new member's offer.
  • I read your email and guide today, dug out my AA renewal and checked the price for new customers on their website, £67 cheaper:mad: so armed with information I called the AA and explained how annoyed I was as a member of 14 years, and I wanted to leave, they offered me an immediate 9 months for the price of 12 a saving of £50 :j Thanks
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    they offered me an immediate 9 months for the price of 12

Surely 12 months for the price of 9 would have been better?
  • pw36
    pw36 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Success!! I checked the AA Website and found they were offering new customers the same cover that I had for £11 a month but I was paying over £23 a month! Gave them a call and they honoured the 'new customer' price and cut my payment to £11 a month!. Definitely worth doing.

Also cancelled some Sky products and they started offering me all sorts of discounts to stay.
  • Renewal letter came through and then the weekly email from here arrived....all about insurance costs rising.
    So I did comparison thru confused and got much cheaper offers from a couple of insurers.
    Logged into my Moreth>n account and went for online chat. First offer was for £293.76 but I said I'd have to think about it as I thought they could go lower. Told them 2 of my quotes but they said that they couldn't price match.
    Went back online and chatted a bit later; they couldn't find my previous chat and their best price was the one I took which is above. Paid using debit card as they are now charging to use a credit card.
    Might not seem a lot saved but I feel I got a result and I couldn't (honesty here) be bothered to quibble any further. I got price lowered twice....good enough for me.
    I didn't even have to waste money ringing them.
  • p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }a:link { } [FONT=Bitstream Charter, serif]A phone call to AA just now reduced their current car insurance quote by £70.

I had asked why, when AA itself says average quotes are up by 16%, ours was up by 30%. Answer: the government added insurance tax. Question: is that not already factored into the AA statement? Answer: no. So how much is it? Answer: 10% of last year's premium. Question: that leaves ours raised by 20% after allowing for the raised tax....why? And then I was offered a £70 reduction. Is that reasonable, or should I try for more? We have a driver and three named drivers, all adults with unblemished records, respectable jobs (or retired) and no cars of their own.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Bitstream Charter, serif]And does the AA's estimate of 16% average rise in car insurance really not include the government tax?What is the point of that?[/FONT]
  • The AA index does include the IPT increase. I've just read over the email which sends the index out.

And the info you were given is wrong. It's now 10%, previously it was 9.5%. So it's only up by half a % anyway.
  • Thanks to the information given here and confirmed by govt site, and the reductions offered by the AA once I asked about it, I have now renewed the car insurance at an increase of only 8%. It is rather shocking that one has to argue over the phone to get sensible quotes and it confirms yet again the advice given here to question sudden rises in premiums. It might be interesting to have a poll on how many people do bother to haggle.....but those who don't might not enter their figures, giving an incorrect result, I suppose.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback