Frump to Fab 2016 - Lets make it AWESOME!!!

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    All the discussion about healthy eating inspired me to go to the market today. It's on the wrong side of the shopping centre for me, so I dont go very often, but thought I should take a closer look. I bought blueberries and strawberries and they were delicious, and I enjoyed eating them. So much fresher (and cheaper) than the supermarket. I'm going to Google some healthy recipes, so I can have some yummy meals.

On a fabbing note, I'd like to recommend Falke tights. They are expensive (£20) but we're so comfortable - they fit like a second skin and didn't need hoiking up either. I bought mine in Tk Maxx for about a fiver. They don't have a large selection, but it's worth keeping a eye out.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I had a Fab Friday in every sense of the word. I had my 2nd date with the new man in my life and it went really well. I feel so comfortable with him and can be myself with him. :j

We went to Nando's for a meal, followed by a visit to a local pub. I was wearing a red sleeveless top with a keyhole with a gold bar, a long black skirt, my red waterfall cardigan, my patent leather black Van Dal sling backs with my black leather jacket. No make up and I did not paint my nails. I had my everyday black leather bag with me, as I could not be bothered to change handbags.:)

He was so complimentary and totally attentive. We are both finding out about each other and being very honest and open about our feelings. :T

I told him my children were a bit jealous I was going to Nando's twice in one week, so he gave me £20 so they could have Nando's on Saturday. I did try to refuse the money on their behalf, pointing out that my daughter is 23 years old and employed, so she can afford to buy her own Nando's, but he insisted. :T

I feel so happy when I am with him and I laugh so much with him. I just have to wait and see where this new relationship goes, but I am already hoping it will work. :)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,979
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sugarbaby you sound so happy, keeping fingers crossed for you on the romance front.:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    chanie wrote: »
    On a fabbing note, I'd like to recommend Falke tights. They are expensive (£20) but we're so comfortable - they fit like a second skin and didn't need hoiking up either. I bought mine in Tk Maxx for about a fiver. They don't have a large selection, but it's worth keeping a eye out.

I'll have a look in TK Maxx later chanie. Are these opaque tights?
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Sugarbaby you sound so happy, keeping fingers crossed for you on the romance front.:D

You'll soon be Nando's best customers!:rotfl:

Bright and dry here so I'm going to venture into the city early on the way to football. I need some eye cream and perhaps time for a mooch.:) Football clothes are always more for warmth and practicality but I will do my make up.
  • chanie
    Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    I'll have a look in TK Maxx later chanie. Are these opaque tights?

Some were opaque, mostly with patterns though (which are nice). I've heard good things about Falke tights (and Wolford - which they also had in TK Maxx). I think the Duchess of Cambridge wears Falke tights.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sugarbaby, well done on the weight loss and pleased to hear about the new romance, very exciting.

I was reading back through all the posts about diet. I think your point on our food potentially killing us is spot on LL. The alarming thing is how much contradictory information is out there. Should we be vegetarian or vegan, are all animal products bad, is fat the enemy or sugar, or is it all carbs... No wonder people get confused.

I am going to aim for a lower carb and less processed food diet and see where that gets me. I know if forced to go out a kill a chicken myself I would end up vegetarian overnight, but until such time as you can't buy ready prepared for cooking, I am going to stick to eating meat and especially fish and seafood. Am pretty sure sugar is the main issue. Well that and getting stressed - cortisol levels getting out of whack apparently make you more prone to laying down fat around the middle. And though bone structure wise I am a pear, I am looking more apple shaped as the years go by.

On getting free from type foods, it's worth checking if you can get somewhere like Planet Organic or Whole Foods to deliver. They have a much better range than most supermarkets and I know Planet Organic do mail order on their dry goods as well as a fresh food delivery in London, though I've not tried the fresh delivery.

I had a nice day yesterday, had a late breakfast at my favourite local cafe, went into central London, bought some jewellery in Topshop then went on a guided historic walk through Marylebone, went to a market at the church at the end of the walk and bought some more jewellery, then had a very late lunch in Cote before pottering back to Oxford Street.

I bought an eye shadow palette in Bare Minerals in Debenhams using a voucher I got with my Debenhams card - think it was for buying some clothes with the personal shopper last year - so it only cost me £3 for the £20 palette. It's got my favourite shade of teal in so more of an evening out choice than a day wear one - but then despite good intentions it's still rare for me to wear make up in the day time. I then bought some Aveda styling products and an intensive hair mask in House of Fraser - the assistants in there seem nicest of all the ones in the London stores and I completely swear by Aveda styling products, they're the best. I use the curly range for natural days and the smooth range for straight days.

It's funny, I feel like I've had a lazy week exercise wise, but last Saturday I did a ten mile hike, Monday I worked out with a trainer and did yoga in the evening and Wednesday I worked out with a trainer and Thursday I did yoga, then Friday I was out dancing with friends - our local pub ran an club night, mainly 90s dance music, bit of 80s. Took me right back to my youth! I suppose it's good that I've reset my idea of how much exercise I should do - only exercising for one hour a week with the odd hiking weekend thrown in which was normal for many years just seems like nothing now.

Going to investigate dance classes. I've been wanting to learn properly for years and now I am single I can quite cheerfully book myself up for the evenings without having to consider anyone else.

Also trying to plan out my holidays for the remainder of the year. Got quite a few long weekends booked and a week in Turkey in under three weeks plus my Austria hiking trip in September but thinking would be nice to do something a bit further afield. Quite tempted by Cuba - but would like to be able to go dancing when I do, so that would be a good incentive to get to classes now.

Got lots of chores / clearing out I should be doing but am tempted to just head outdoors instead. Got most of tomorrow for that and the forecast for today is rather better. In fact, yes, just checked and there are two different walks on London walks website finishing around Spitalfields and I love that market, so time to get moving and go exploring!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend all x
  • maman
    Forumite
    Some were opaque, mostly with patterns though (which are nice). I've heard good things about Falke tights (and Wolford - which they also had in TK Maxx). I think the Duchess of Cambridge wears Falke tights.

Thanks for that chanie. I didn't get to do much browsing yesterday as I reckoned that this week would be better when school holidays end. One of the things I find useful is to look at what's coming into the shops for the new season and realise how (with maybe a few tweaks) what I've got will be able to come out for another spring/summer.

I did go into Body Shop as I thought I'd try going back to their Vitamin E eye cream. Also treated myself to a new foundation brush as the one I've got is a bit scratchy. They had a good offer: £10 off a £25 spend.

Your day out yesterday sounds great indie. DH and I did a self guided walk around the City a while ago. As it was on a Sunday everything was really quiet. Enjoyed the Little Venice one too and ended up at Camden Lock. What sort of dancing are you thinking of?

Completely agree that trying to cut out processed food is a good way forward whichever 'diet' we plan to follow as then we get to control the ingredients. Today I'm going to make a Bolognese sauce (5% mince and loads of veg) and portion it up for the freezer. That way I've got a healthy ready meal for busy days.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    Your day out yesterday sounds great indie. DH and I did a self guided walk around the City a while ago. As it was on a Sunday everything was really quiet. Enjoyed the Little Venice one too and ended up at Camden Lock. What sort of dancing are you thinking of?

I love wandering round the backstreets in London and learning about the history, seeing the parts you wouldn't walk through usually. History was my favourite subject at school but I didn't take it too far as I couldn't see myself making enough of a living from it - certainly couldn't see myself as a school teacher. I day dream about becoming a blue badge guide once I have the mortgage paid off and can retrain to do something more for the pleasure of it.

I want to learn to salsa, have dabbled with lessons in the past and really enjoyed it but you need to find a good class with enough men to go around so you don't have to spend half the night sat out or having to lead another woman. Am listening to an album of salsa music as I type and I want to go dancing right now.

Instead will be using google to try to find a good class to join, not quite the same but progress of a sort!

Was very naughty and bought some rings from my favourite stall in Spitalfields market today. Been a bit of an expensive weekend of treats, need to reign my spending in for the rest of the month now. Still, I will enjoy wearing them and a life without some treats would be terribly dull.
  • chanie
    Forumite
    indie you have the right idea of building exercise into your life e.g. the hiking probably doesn't feel like exercise, buy must be doing you the world of good. I love wandering around London too. I recently went to a conference in a part of central London I don't go to very often and I loved having a wander around.

maman you've reminded me to buy some if the body shop vitamin e eye cream. It's not a high priority foe me, as my eyes haven shown signs of aging yet, but I think I should start using an eye cream.

I'm working from our other office tomorrow, as I have a meeting in the morning. As it will be a break from my normal routine, I may wear something nice, as my normal commute is fairly brutal. Tonight, I plan on doing some fabbing - body brushing and pedicure, as I've been slacking lately, particularly with Fab Friday.
  • maman
    Forumite
    maman you've reminded me to buy some if the body shop vitamin e eye cream. It's not a high priority foe me, as my eyes haven shown signs of aging yet, but I think I should start using an eye cream.

I don't think you can start too early chanie. I stopped washing my face with soap when I was about 14 (didn't like the tight feel) and I've used moisturiser and eye cream for as long as I can remember. I think it pays off because as I'm a lot older than 14 now;) I know my skin is in much better condition than loads of women of my age just from looking around me.

You seem to have had a very happy weekend indie. Hope you wear your new jewellery lots and lots then it'll earn its keep.

My DH is a Green Badge guide (that's just for our city whereas the Blue Badge is for the wider region). He loves it but it means that when we go on guided walks anywhere he casts a professional eye!;)

Good on your for making an effort for tomorrow chanie.

Have a good week all.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport