Two employees - same job, same hours -different pay

My husband starting working for a small local builders yard in February 2007. The guy that was interviewing told my husband the salary the company were offering (which was acceptable) and said that when my husband had worked there for a year, the company would give him an increase in salary. In February this year (after my husband had worked for the company for a year), he went to one of the partners in the company and asked for a rise, explaining that the guy that had hired him had said his salary would be increased after a year. The partner said that the guy that had interviewed him no longer worked for the company and that he hadn't the authority to promise a rise at the interview. Also the company could not afford it.

However, my husband has since found out that a colleague who does exactly the same job and hours as my husband gets £1000 more a year than my husband!

I'm fairly certain this is not legal and that my husband has a case to argue. I'd welcome any advice as to where we go from here and also from anyone else who has been in this position. Many thanks.
chockychocky :A

Comments

• floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    How long has this other person worked for the company? Did your husband get anything in writing about increments? Has your husband compared his job description with the other persons?
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    There are many reasons why two people doing the same or similar jobs - i cannot see how you can have any grounds for thinking its illegal.
  • chocky
    chocky Posts: 57 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies.

floss2 - the other person started the month before my husband. He didnt get anything in writing about a rise and his job description is EXACTLY the same as the other employee.

blue_haddock - Two people, doing exactly the same job and hours - doesnt equality mean equal pay too?
    chockychocky :A
  • judderman62
    judderman62 Posts: 5,134 Forumite
    There are many reasons why two people doing the same or similar jobs - i cannot see how you can have any grounds for thinking its illegal.

what he/she said ^^^
    Hate and I do mean Hate my apple Mac Computer - wish I'd never bought the thing
    Do little and often
    Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying :mad:
  • judderman62
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    Doesn't in most industries.

and what he/she said ^^^

I was once asked at appraisal time if I felt people should be paid the same salary or get same increase if they are on same level (i.e based PURELY 0n "grade" or job title)- I thought it was the more ridiculous thing I'd ever heard in my life :confused::confused:
    Do little and often
    Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying :mad:
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    chocky wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.

blue_haddock - Two people, doing exactly the same job and hours - doesnt equality mean equal pay too?

The only time that might be unlawful is if a male and a female worker were doing the same job and hours but one was being paid less than the other - if there were no other explanation, the conclusion might be made that the difference in pay was due to their gender, and that would be unlawful.

If you are talking about two men doing broadly the same work but on different pay, then no, that is not unlawful. In fact it is quite common in some industries for employees to be given grade increments simply because of the years they have been there.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • judderman62
    does no one else here work in jobs/companies/industries were pay is performance related and where differences in salaries would be the norm :confused::confused::confused:
    Do little and often
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    does no one else here work in jobs/companies/industries were pay is performance related and where differences in salaries would be the norm :confused::confused::confused:

No, infact i would be puting it to the employer that an earnings audit may be appropriate as well as a job evaluation exercise.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • whowho
    whowho Posts: 80 Forumite
    It's always been the norm wherever I've worked for people to be doing the same job, but getting different rates of pay.

It could be that the other person negotiated a better salary at his interview, he has certain other skills that render him "more useful" to the company, or maybe they approached him to work for them and were prepared to offer him more.

It's absolutely legal, and the way your husband is feeling is the reason that most places have rules about employees discussing their pay.

Sorry hun.
  • judderman62
    so not just me then :D:rolleyes:
    Do little and often
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure