3 meter house, no economy 10, but related, want to change supplier

scarpo
scarpo Posts: 10 Forumite
Hello, we live in a 1960's bungalow. It has 3 elec meters. We changed suppliers in 2008/9 from N Power to Eon. Dec 2016 we tried to change to co op, but received a letter to say there was a problem,'the property is listed as having a multi rate boost electricity meter'.

I contacted Eon, they are being less than useless. I tried to change to Scottish power, this again failed, but I got a lot more info after a call to them. They say the 3 meters are 'related' and the MTC codes are set to 500, both which cause problems for me.

We have 3 MPAN numbers all start 01. Our bills simply show 3 separate meter readings all on 'normal' rate.

I have checked the meters and we do not have 2 lots of meter reading numbers per meter, so all the info I have appears to me to show they are normal meters, we just have 3 of them and we are definitely not on economy 7 or 10, so what do I have to do to change supplier, remember I did change supplier once before back in 2008/9.

Comments

• E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hi scarpo and welcome to the forums.

I'm really sorry that we weren’t very helpful when you called :o it is a slightly interesting set up that you have.

I'm sure I can help you a bit.

The first thing to note, the MPAN numbers won't start with 01, as none of them do. This number is called the profile class and shows it's a single rate meter.

From what you've said, you have three separate one rate meters. It may be that two of them are linked and there's a timeswitch somewhere, or one may be for an outbuilding or something like that.

If it's just a simple case of the three one rate meters, then your preferred supplier needs to request to take all three MPANS for a switch to work.

If though, it's a more complicated set up, it may be that some suppliers can't support this and I'll have to dig a bit deeper to understand.

May I ask what tariff are we billing you on? Do you have electric heating?

I'll help you as much as I can, so please don't worry.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 March 2017 at 9:01PM
    Same advice applies as I have posted what seems like daily now
    (For someone that has been registered here since before I joined, I feel sure you would have seen one of my earlier posts, but anyway ... :cool: )

Do not attempt to switch supplier with your existing metering
    Attempts by others to do so in the past have invariably ended in tears.

Sadly it appears you already have switched in the past, and I can only thank you for posting as yet another example corroborating my advice.
    (Although I am not sure you intended to ... :cool:)

Good luck!
  • scarpo
    Footyguy, I enrolled here years ago but have not posted before and rarely use the forum. I do not understand why you say 'sadly it appears ....'. Can you clarify please?
  • scarpo
    Helena, I am on normal tarif. We do not have electric heating.
  • scarpo
    Rubidium. We have single rate meters, just have three of them. The house was built by an electrician and he apparently had his reasons for doing what he did.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    scarpo wrote: »
    Rubidium. We have single rate meters, just have three of them. The house was built by an electrician and he apparently had his reasons for doing what he did.

Hiya scarpo,

Thanks for the extra information.

I think in this case then, to change supplier it'll be a good idea to ring companies individually and explain that you have three MPANS that all need to be switched together.

This isn't really a normal set up to be honest, especially as you don't have electric heating.

I understand that you're being billed on a normal one rate tariff for each meter, so this may be something to also advise other suppliers of.

I can certainly look at your account if you'd like me to, it's no problem at all.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Scarpo, ask for two of the meters to be removed and get an electrician to connect your house up to the single remaining meter.

It will save you so much messing in the future and open you up to much better tariffs thanks to easy switching.

I can't think of a single reason to keep your obscure setup.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'd agree with Istar337
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • scarpo
    I am not sure but I think one meter serves a garden shed that he used as a workshop. The house was built in 2 halves, not sure if the intention was to turn it into two properties. My husband says different circuits are on each of the different meters, so yes, it possibly could all be on one meter.
  • scarpo
    Eon co rep HelenA. I have looked at my bills and my MTC code on my MPAN changed from 801 to 500 when we changed to Eon why would his happen?

My 3 meters serve different parts of the house. One is for a garden shed that was used as a workshop once by the former occupant.

What can I do to allow us to change supplier?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure