Phone lost by friend .Advice please - not sure right forum!

Hi
Not sure which forum I should post this in but would appreciate some advice. My daughter went to a house party with her friend, as she didn't have a bag with her., her friend offered to look after her phone (birthday present iPhone 6+) in her bag. Later on in the evening my daughter realised her friend had left....with her phone! She went looking for her but couldn't find her. The next day another mutual friend told her that the girl had gone clubbing and lost her bag with my daughters phone in it. My question is should the friend pay to replace the phone ? (Legally as well as morally). The friend later on bragged what a great night she had had!!!! Grrrr... unfortunately we don't have insurance on the phone and I can't afford to replace it. We have asked that the girl report it to the police but as she was underage for the clubs (17) I don't think she will.
If this is the wrong forum please advise where to post for advice.
Thank you

Comments

• Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2017 at 11:26PM
    Don't think there is a huge amount that can be done about it, to be honest. Your daughter can try tracking it down via Find My iPhone.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A teenager let an iphone out of sight for more than 30 seconds? unbelievable.
  • parking_question_chap
    parking_question_chap Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 11:32PM
    You gave your daughter an Iphone 6 as a birthday present, and yet you seem to be in a fairly sketchy financial situation. I just dont understand financial planning like that.

Suggest you buy your daughter a basic phone and both take it on the chin.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 March 2017 at 12:10AM
    My question is should the friend pay to replace the phone ? (Legally as well as morally)
    Your daughter is just as much to blame for the loss, if not more so.
    No, the friend was lumbered with looking after it
    Why take the (uninsured) phone out with her, if she couldn't look after it herself?
    We have asked that the girl report it to the police but as she was underage for the clubs . . .
    Perhaps it should be reported, but doubtful you'll ever see the phone again and of course reporting it, won't get you any money back. iPhone, teenager, no insurance?
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If it's on a contract, make sure you report it to avoid any big bills.

I'd be furious if my kid did this with a friends phone and would be making sure I paid for it (and no pocket money for the child for the next 10 years!)

Can you approach the parents and calmly appeal to their better nature?

NB - bit late now, but I've found insurance is a must with teenagers and expensive kit, much as I begrudge it, it saves a load of heartache
  • No I'm not in a fairly sketchy situation , but yes I don't have just a spare few hundred pounds to replace a phone at will. We bought the phone second hand The phone was her only present and to be honest I don't feel I have to justify myself or my purchases. I asked for advice legally/morally not on me and I was quite shocked by your post
  • Yes I agree I have certainly learnt my lesson in regards to insurance 😞
    I have tried to track the phone but I think it's off or run out of battery so no luck, it's now in lost mode and also the phone company have been informed. My next step is to speak to the parents and see if they offer to help out to pay.
    By the way I'm absolutely livid with both of them!
    Thank you for you reply
  • IMO to answer your questions
    Legally you have no claim on the friend.
    Morally you have no claim on the friend.

I have nothing else to add - are you sure that your home insurance does not cover items out the house?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Not sure that insurance would be of any use in this case - all policies expect you to take care of valuable personal items -I don't think giving it to a mate at a party to look after, would impress the claims adjuster !!!!
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No I'm not in a fairly sketchy situation , but yes I don't have just a spare few hundred pounds to replace a phone at will. We bought the phone second hand The phone was her only present and to be honest I don't feel I have to justify myself or my purchases. I asked for advice legally/morally not on me and I was quite shocked by your post

If you don't feel you have to justify, then why pose the question?
    It's your daughter's phone which you paid for, from hard earned money I guess? So you should morally have instilled into to your daughter that she should be careful and responsible for it, NOBODY else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure