TFL fine from over 1 year ago with no contact

I recently received a £200 fine notification on my payslip with no explanation. When I asked my manager she had to ask payroll to find the reason. Apparently the company was instructed to garnish my wages which she had not been told about. So the company has taken £200 without any prior notification to me, just a deduction from my payslip. I contacted the contact number of the letter they received who informed me to call another number but that the fine is regarding an unpaid fare TFL fine from over 1 year ago that totalled ~£470.

I have been on hold with the number for over 45 mins this morning with no reply. How can I dispute this fine or at the very least push the date back one month as I have not budgeted for a £200 unannounced loss.

Comments

• London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 March 2017 at 4:08PM
    I am no expert on this but I think that this must have been done through a court order and as it is about TFL traveling they must have had information that you were guilty of an offence and were sent paperwork stating what would happen if you did not pay the fine.
    As the fine was not paid {and I take it by your last sentence you were guilty be it for some reason known to you} the debt collectors are doing the job and making a charge to do so.
    Personal I do not think you will stand any chance of getting it stopped or pushed back so unless your company or family/friends are prepared to loan you the cash I think you are stuck.
    As I stated this is just my opinion and if others know better I bow to their knowledge.
  • I am not guilty, nor did I receive any prior communication about this. I will contact citizens advice and keep trying the number I was referred to.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    I hope you can get through and get it sorted then :0)
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    I would also post on https://www.railforums.co.uk where there are more experienced posters in this area.
  • JebBush
    JebBush Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 8 March 2017 at 5:37PM
    Thanks all. I'll keep you posted.

Edit: the most disturbing part to me is that they instructed my employer not to tell me till after they deducted it, in other words let the employee find out on their payslip rather than giving them warning ahead of time. Bizarre as I'm sure they risk a fine if they don't garnish my wages so I doubt they wouldn't cooperate. I can't understand why they couldn't at least tell me when they received the letter.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    JebBush wrote: »
    I am not guilty...

How on earth can you say this when you don't know what the fine was for? I suspect that either you are guilty but have forgotten what you did over a year ago, or somebody else was guilty but gave your details. I'd say you need to find out the background from TfL before making any rash decisions otherwise it could cost you even more.
  • Innocent until proven guilty.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Thanks all. I'll keep you posted.

Edit: the most disturbing part to me is that they instructed my employer not to tell me till after they deducted it, in other words let the employee find out on their payslip rather than giving them warning ahead of time. Bizarre as I'm sure they risk a fine if they don't garnish my wages so I doubt they wouldn't cooperate. I can't understand why they couldn't at least tell me when they received the letter.

That sounds very wrong. If you're totally innocent as you say, I'd be livid! I'd demand the deducted pay from your employer and not let them hear the end of it! (Maybe not the best idea, but... they can't do that!) Are you in a trade union?

And... you're definitely sure that no court papers (etc.) have been delivered to an old address, and there's nothing you've somehow "missed"...?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Innocent until proven guilty.

TFL aren't going to just take £200 randomly from a pay packet without an awful lot of due diligence that suggests the OP has done something wrong or has been framed very well
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Innocent until proven guilty.

Methinks you doth protest too much...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income