PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lent - Moral support may be needed ;)

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,959
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    NewShadow wrote: »
    I was counting fish as meat - sorry if not clear.

In the (not) words of Henry Tudor - 'Did it breathe?'

As a vegetarian I always say that I don't eat anything that had a face on it :D

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Feebie
    Feebie Posts: 58 Forumite
    There are lots of frozen products which can help - especially for the 'meat and 2 veg' type meal.

Other than those, lentils are excellent in bolognese, curries and shepherd's pie. Beans and chickpeas make great chillis and other stew type dishes.

I hope you find it an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Good luck!
  • I'm a vegetarian and I'm definitely not sniggering, it's about what is a challenge for the individual. I'm giving up coffee, alcohol, crisps, chocolate and biscuits. I've chosen these as I don't need them and because they are the things I reach for when I'm stressed and I want to practice reaching for other things (I am religious so hopefully some of these things will be spiritual things and not just toast!) I'm giving the money I save to a Sudan famine appeal.

Anyway, here are some veggie things I like:

I make a slow cooker vegetable stew with an onion, couple of potatoes, carrots, green beans, cauli and tinned tomatoes which is nice and easy.

For some protein chickpea and spinach curry is nice, pretty much the same as your dhal but with chickpeas instead of lentils.

A big veggie pasta bake - there are recipes using courgettes and all sorts but I quite often use tinned sweetcorn and mushrooms as cheap and quick.

I like cauliflower cheese but for more of a meal you could add in other veg like broccoli. I imagine you could use frozen cauli and broccoli florets just fine.

Vegetarian quiche is another option, can put all sorts in it but I like cherry tomatoes and mushrooms.

Cheese and potato pie if you want something quite hefty, or a cheese, potato and veg bake if you'd rather leave the pastry.

Hope some of those give you ideas even if it's only what you don't want to try! Good luck :)
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    *Margaret* wrote: »
    Hope some of those give you ideas even if it's only what you don't want to try! Good luck :)

Thank you - these are exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Falafel

Soak 6 oz dried fava beans or chickpeas overnight.Drain.
    In a processor, whizz them until like gritty sand , not paste.
    Add 1/2 small onion, chilli to taste, salt, garlic to taste, 1 tsp cumin, 1tsp coriander, 1 tsp baking powder, big handful each of coriander and parsley, or you could use mint.
    Whizz.

Squeeze into 12 balls and refrigerate for an hour or two. Either spray with oil and bake until well browned but better fried...i use an actifry, takes 9 minutes or so .

Three make one portion. They keep very well and make super lunches.

Serve with pickled veg, salad, tahini, hot sauce in a flat bread, with couscous or chips:)

Variations....roll in sesames seeds, flavour with Moroccan spices....or Indian.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 24 February 2017 at 6:01PM
    I really like the texture of chickpeas, I'd definitely go for all sorts of currys, dahls and moroccan style tagine things.

Have you considered tofu? I think of it as a thing in it's own right rather than a meat substitute, and done right it works very well in stir fry type things. Nice and quick; I cube my tofu up and freeze it in advance.

For your "Roast dinner" - If I'm doing a meal like that I might try stuffed peppers (you can get all sorts of grains to go in them, plus cheese+veg), or stuffed mini squashes are nice too.

How about veggie lasanges? Butternut squash and spinach makes a delicious one, and there are lots of other options you could try.

Edit: I'd also make sure I tried lots of different cheeses - I quite like some goat cheeses for instance, and there is a lot of variation in standard cheese as well. Halloumi is great grilled!
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Eggs anyway you like, your fave cheeses.

Spuds, any version (you will love them)

Rice, pasta, chickpeas.

Veg obviously.

Porridge.

Frittata.

There is so much you can eat without meat. I am not vegetarian, but rarely eat meat now. But I do love fish. And fish don't breathe air either, so I'm ok lol.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edwink wrote: »
    As a vegetarian I always say that I don't eat anything that had a face on it :D

Edwink
    As a vegetarian I say anything that doesn't poo.

And nothing that comes out of a goat, ugh.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Never understood the need to impose artificial restrictions on diet due to a made up story. Each to their own I suppose. :o
  • gt5688 wrote: »
    Never understood the need to impose artificial restrictions on diet due to a made up story. Each to their own I suppose. :o

Even if you're not a christian, self restraint is still a useful thing to practice, no? And it helps to have the support of others doing it at the same time :) Personally, I find lent a good time of the year to also take up new positive habits (I'm eyeing up the 10 a day thread!), again with the support of others also "doing things for lent". I suppose that makes the secular version the new year diets/resolutions!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure