Money Moral Dilemma: How should I use my theatre vouchers?

Comments

• Cimscate
    Cimscate Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd say if your friend had wanted to see that one she would have got 2 tickets for it and given them to you for your birthday. By giving vouchers she's giving you the choice so why not suggest 2 or 3 you would like to see and ask which she would prefer.
  • Of course not - you've already seen it - its a ready-made excuse & if she says "wouldn't you see it again, " you can honestly say that you didn't really care for it.

Go see something else - its YOUR present, after all.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Don't be such a misery - go! You might like it second time around.
  • jmwillow
    jmwillow Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would not waste theatre tickets going to see a production I had already seen and didn't enjoy. I can't believe a friend would be so selfish to expect you to do that. It's your birthday pressie so the choice of play should definitely be yours. Enjoy!
  • In my circle as we're all getting older and running out of ideas for presents, we now usually give tickets or vouchers for tickets, with the understanding that the recipient takes the giver to an event of the recipient's choice, and the giver buys the ice creams or drinks on the day to complete the birthday / xmas outing. I feel sure in this case if the giver knew the recipient had already seen the play, they would be happy to go to another which they would both like to see.
  • BlaEm
    BlaEm Posts: 213 Forumite
    It doesn't sound as if she's expecting you to go to see the play she wants to see. As Cimscate says, she'd have bought you two tickets to that show if she wanted that.

This isn't really a dilemma - choose a couple of shows you DO want to see, then ask her which one of those she thinks you should go to.

THEN if she brings up the Bad Play, just say you've already seen that one but you'll bear it in mind for her birthday (when you can then get her tickets to see it without you...)
  • alggomas
    alggomas Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You say " you know a play she wants to see"
    This does not men she wants to see the one you " hate".
    Life is full of things you do that you do not like.
    So:
    Suggest you pick a play to see as a surprise.
    Ask what play she would like to see.
    DO NOT say you hate this play whether you go or not.
    Whichever way it goes it is not huge problem unless you think breaking a nail is the end of the world!
  • dear god, no! it's YOUR birthday present - spend it on what YOU want to see!
  • Your friend has given you tickets for your birthday, so obviously they want you to see a play that you will enjoy - not one they'll enjoy - especially if the play they want to see, you've seen it (most friends wouldn't want you to go to something you've already seen) and you hated it, so even more reason for you not to go and same again, your friend wouldn't want you to hate every moment of your theatre trip that they've paid for.

It's a no brainer IMO, find something you'll both enjoy and go and see that with the tickets.
  • LOL no - it was your gift.
    In fact, why do you even have to take her? Who gives a gift with all these conditions?
    Taking her and finding something you both want to see seems ideal in the circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure