Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1,079Posts
    • 5,809Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 6:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 6:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
Page 139
    • caronc
    • By caronc 25th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    caronc
    Thanks Karcher - after what was a pretty rubbish week it was just what I needed

I was impressed my friend made Chinese Pancakes from scratch as she couldn't find any to buy. They are just plain flour mixed with enough water to make a stiff dough. Knead well and roll out around 1cm thick. Cut into rounds using 2 inch cutters. Brush tops with sesame oil making sure it goes to the edge. Sandwich two rounds together with the oil in the middle and roll out to the size of a arge saucer. Cook each side in a hot, lightly oiled pan until each side is brown speckled then separate, the oil the middle allows this. They were delicious and one I might try as they are so hard to get around here and when you do they are always in huge packs
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • karcher
    • By karcher 26th Mar 17, 10:38 AM
    • 831 Posts
    • 5,371 Thanks
    karcher
    Morning oneskis

Last nights dhal and flatbreads were good. I hadn't really 'fancied' it but got the dhal out of the freezer during the day and made the flatbread dough so I had to eat it!

I've got one more portion of Dhal in the freezer which will have to be eaten sooner or later as I need to free up some space...I also need to defrost it so am going to use up everything I can. It's quite old so it ices up really quickly, it is only a couple of months since I last defrosted it

Once that is done and I've been paid at the end of the month a medium sized shop will be done to replenish my dwindling supplies.

All fun here
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • caronc
    • By caronc 26th Mar 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    caronc
    Afternoon everone

Another gloriously sunny day here further brightened by the delivery of a beautiful planter of spring bulbs from my two boys

A small piece of topside is in the slow cooker with some veggies, a beef stock pot, a splosh of wine, peppercorns and beautifully fragrant thyme from Greece - still undecided what to have with it might make some root veg mash and I'll steam some savoy cabbage. I might be naughty and pop the oven on to heat up a couple of frozen YPs as well... a shocking waste of electricty but it is Sunday .......

As I thought I'm shattered after yesterday but it was so worth it so a quiet day planned. My potting compost has warmed up a bit so I might start my toms and chilli seeds. It's pointless doing it earlier here as there isn't enough light so they are either really spindly or the seeds don't germinate.

Karcher - I've dhal in the freezer as well I might liberate it to have with the LO beef and I've naan as well so an easy mid-week dinner sorted thanks
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 26th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 57,601 Posts
    • 330,708 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I don't do Mother's Day ... as a childless orphan it's really not part of my life at all.... even my siblings are childless and aren't even close to where I live

Burger... burger ... burger ... OMG the 3rd one was even more gorgeous than the first two! I've tweaked and perfected the method for those now. Today I tossed in some red onions and a spoon of chutney.

I think I could live on burgers for a month!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 26th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    caronc
    I don't do Mother's Day ... as a childless orphan it's really not part of my life at all.... even my siblings are childless and aren't even close to where I live

Burger... burger ... burger ... OMG the 3rd one was even more gorgeous than the first two! I've tweaked and perfected the method for those now. Today I tossed in some red onions and a spoon of chutney.

I think I could live on burgers for a month!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I take the 4th might not see the day out........
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 26th Mar 17, 11:45 AM
    • 57,601 Posts
    • 330,708 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I take the 4th might not see the day out........
    Originally posted by caronc
    You're probably right .... next one will use crispy fried onions and cheese. I do try to serve each item differently.... so each of these 4 burgers will have been a little different each time

Because I love the excitement of not eating the same thing all the time....
    • caronc
    • By caronc 26th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    caronc
    I'm just scoffing a massive plate of salad with roll mop herrings pretending it is actually summer and not just a nod towards Spring so feel I have my halo on in the "ten a day" camp
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • karcher
    • By karcher 26th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 5,371 Thanks
    karcher
    roll mop herrings
    Rather you than me!

Just been to the shop to buy some butter....

....I bought a bottle of wine, a 100g pack of ham and a 3 piece Bounty Bar . I couldn't resist, saw it and thought...ooo haven't had a bounty bar for years..I want that...

....didn't buy any butter though!

Just scoffed the whole pack of ham and a cup of coffee...I feel decidedly lethargic now, why does that happen?
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • Farway
    • By Farway 26th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 4,587 Thanks
    Farway
    I'm just scoffing a massive plate of salad with roll mop herrings
    I love them, rarely have them these days due in part to cost and not really spotting them on my mooches

Years ago when working in Scotland the canteen had salad buffet choice as an option, without too much stereo typing I think I must have been one of the few taking that option, point is roll mop herings were on daily and where I was working was adajcent to the fish factory, so they were all fresh as well

Last night's M & S pie was lovely, and bigger than I expected, looking forward to it's twin this evening

Today is groundhog day, except for the breakfast I had toast & ginger marmalade, which I noted is getting low and I can't seem to find it easily in SMs, must be like roll mop herrings, a dying species

The last of the HM celery / spud soup and stale bap has now gone, resisted impulse to buy more in Morrison's this morning, bet they would go well with a tasty burger, perhaps an option for another week

I did make a microwave cake in a mug yesterday evening, a small pyrex bowl actually. And it was as carp as my previous attempt, even with custard it was a fail. I think I will stick to soup making, at least they mostly turn out fine

Given my "cake" fail I bought one on offer in Morrison's this morning, 75p down from a quid. Not until I got home did I notice the best before date, 12 April 2017, goodness knows just what is in there to stop it going off before then, perhaps if eat cake I will live keep forever?

Also found when I got home a pack of 5 red stuff doughnuts had jumped into my shopping, one went down as "pud" for lunch, to build me up for a spot of gardening in the sunshine, now done
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 26th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    • 57,601 Posts
    • 330,708 Thanks
    PasturesNew

....I bought a bottle of wine, a 100g pack of ham and a 3 piece Bounty Bar . I couldn't resist, saw it and thought...ooo haven't had a bounty bar for years..I want that...

Just scoffed the whole pack of ham and a cup of coffee...I feel decidedly lethargic now, why does that happen?
    Originally posted by karcher
    Sounds like a normal day's random food buying and scoffing to me ....
    • caronc
    • By caronc 26th Mar 17, 3:50 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    caronc
    Rather you than me!

Originally posted by karcher
    Tummy overload........

Years ago when working in Scotland the canteen had salad buffet choice as an option, without too much stereo typing I think I must have been one of the few taking that option, point is roll mop herings were on daily and where I was working was adajcent to the fish factory, so they were all fresh as well
    Originally posted by Farway
    Lucky you I hoped they were the baked type ones which I much prefer, I must make some as the tubs are ok but a bit pricey and HM is so easy with herring still being reasonably priced

Baked Soused Herrings

4 -6 Herring Fillets (about 1 1/2 lbs)

Roll each fillet up and pin with cocktail stick. Pack tightly in a shallow casserole dish. Cover with an onion thinly sliced and teaspoon of peppercorns. Pop a couple of bayleafs in the dish and some parsley stalks (optional). Mix 1/4 pt malt vinegar with a 1/4 water, pour over fish. It should come to about 2/3rds the way up the fish. If not add some more water. Cover with foil or greaseproof paper

Bake at 180C for around an hour. Allow to cool in the liquid covered then chill. They'll keep for around 5 days if they last that long
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 26th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 57,601 Posts
    • 330,708 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    New culinary highs were reached today .... with 3 burger buns remaining I did think about cooking the 4th burger.... but really couldn't be bothered.

I opened the fridge and there were the dregs of grated cheese begging to be used up.

So I tipped the cheese into a small pot, shoved it in the microwave, shoved a burger bun in there too ....and nuked until the cheese melted. Then I poured the liquid cheese into the burger bun ..... and didn't even stop to squirt any ketchup on it.

Yep - melted cheese roll

I then tossed the remaining 2 burger rolls in the freezer.
    • Willowx
    • By Willowx 26th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 4,475 Thanks
    Willowx
    Interesting food intake so far today, no cooking to report as of yet 3 milky ways, five fingers of fudge, 2 nectarines and a litre of orange juice there's a dubious argument that it could count as a balanced diet! Going to see Life this evening.
    GC 2017: Yearly budget: £1,560 YTD: £504.53 Jan: £217.70 Feb: £208.39
    Grocery NSD: 39
    Reading Challenge 2017: 60 YTD: 10 books
    Walking Challenge 2017: 10,000 or more steps per day YTD: 53 days (mean:13,052)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 26th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    caronc
    Interesting food intake so far today, no cooking to report as of yet 3 milky ways, five fingers of fudge, 2 nectarines and a litre of orange juice there's a dubious argument that it could count as a balanced diet! Going to see Life this evening.
    Originally posted by Willowx
    Well yes loads of Vit C, some fibre, carbs, protein and of course the known health benefits of chocolate for mood etc. sounds ok to me

My beef is smelling so tantalising and elderly pooch has strategically placed himself on the floor under the counter in case it jumps LOL I'm hoping it tastes as good as it smells and isn't tough as it was a very lean piece. Anyway if nothing the else the gravy should be fab
    Last edited by caronc; 26-03-2017 at 6:26 PM.
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • Ames
    • By Ames 26th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    • 16,053 Posts
    • 27,775 Thanks
    Ames
    Faraway - I got a 'cake in a mug' mug from Lakeland last year but I've only used it once. Part of the problem is it's only for chocolate cake, which I'm not keen on. I hoped it would be adaptable to carrot cake or a plain sponge. It was far too dry, the reviews said it takes a while to get the hang of it.

I've had another, much more successful, attempt at stir fry. I'm not sure if it was better because I used oil, or because I didn't use soy sauce. I just added a glug of mirin and a smaller one of fish sauce towards the end of cooking.

I've also had a spinach, apple, nectarine and kiwi smoothie, breakfast was a banana and toast, and a mid afternoon snack of toast. No actually defined lunch.

I'm getting tempted by the cadbury creme egg ice creams in the freezer now...

ETA: Resisting temptation isn't in my skillset. I wish it was, the ice cream was disappointing.
    Last edited by Ames; 26-03-2017 at 9:04 PM.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 19/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 26th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 57,601 Posts
    • 330,708 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I rarely eat ice cream. I don't buy them when out - and I don't buy tubs for home. I like the idea of an ice cream, but not a whole tub. I get my "fix" by treating myself once a year or so to a box of 10 choc ices for about £1.... most main supermarkets do them (Lidl/aldi don't).

As they're frozen, I tend to get them from the nearest supermarket then rush straight home.

I just checked, they're now a box of 8 (70ml) and £1.10.
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-dark-choc-ices-x8-560ml

I just checked Asda, they do a smartprice at 70p for 8 (57ml), or a box of 8 (70ml) for £1.

I like ice cream, it's just a low priority item for me as it is pricey for what you get if you start selecting nice sounding ones, or favourite brands.... so I keep it low key.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 26-03-2017 at 9:19 PM.
    • Willowx
    • By Willowx 26th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 4,475 Thanks
    Willowx
    Went more traditional for dinner; chicken leg, mash and mixed beans. I like the idea of ice cream but i very rarely fancy it, generally I'll have cold custard instead.
    GC 2017: Yearly budget: £1,560 YTD: £504.53 Jan: £217.70 Feb: £208.39
    Grocery NSD: 39
    Reading Challenge 2017: 60 YTD: 10 books
    Walking Challenge 2017: 10,000 or more steps per day YTD: 53 days (mean:13,052)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,846Users online

Martin's Twitter