Certification period of electric meter

What is the certification period of my electricity meter? It is Meter number K95L24907 Type C11B2A-H. There is asticker which says Certified 07 95.
I read it every month on the same date and forward the reading on line. I am aware of power saving methods such as not switching things on and boiling only two cups of water.
I do not want a smart meter as there is no benefit to me.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    brsksm wrote: »
    What is the certification period of my electricity meter? It is Meter number K95L24907 Type C11B2A-H. There is asticker which says Certified 07 95.
    I read it every month on the same date and forward the reading on line. I am aware of power saving methods such as not switching things on and boiling only two cups of water.

The decision sits with your supplier and DNO. I have two meters of a similar age and I have no reason to think that there is anything to worry about. There are reports of analogue meters still in place that were fitted 35 years or more ago.

According to Citizens Advice, suppliers will have a legal right to fit smart meters if they deem that your meter/s have reached their end of life. However, consumers can elect to have the smart features disabled. In other words, it will still have to be read manually.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 March 2017 at 11:26AM
    CAB is wrong. As the law stands at the moment the companies cannot force a smart meter on the consumer whether the smart function is disabled or not. This may change come 2020.

The default position is that the consumer must elect to have a smart meter not the other way round.
  • System
    unforeseen wrote: »
    CAB is wrong. As the law stands at the moment the companies cannot force a smart meter on the consumer whether the smart function is disabled or not. This may change come 2020.

The default position is that the consumer must elect to have a smart meter not the other way round.

I think, with respect, that you will find that CA is correct. It was given in evidence last year to the CMA investigation that the Government intended to give suppliers the right to fit smart meters from mid 2018 onwards in an end-of-live or faulty meter situation, and that the individual right not to have a smart meter fitted could be satisfied if the smart elements (e.g.; communications hub) were not fitted. In such situations, what is being fitted is nothing more than an energy metering device.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    That is 2018 not now
  • System
    edited 26 March 2017 at 12:18PM
    unforeseen wrote: »
    That is 2018 not now

Fair point. You are right that the Govt has said that consumers can make a choice about having a smart meter or not. It has never said that we can choose what type of replacement meter that suppliers can fit. A smart meter with all its smart features disabled is just a dumb meter. Whilst I am not supportive of smart meters at the moment, I believe that they will become mandatory which will include 30 minute energy reporting. The latter is necessary for the Grid to balance demand with energy production. The £7 per year saving per customer is just a side show.

I should have mentioned that under the Electricity and Gas Acts it is possible to fit your own approved meters. As I understand it, the process is somewhat convoluted. You, first, have to cancel your existing supply contracts; buy the meters and have them fitted by an 'approved' person and then take out new supply contracts. I am not sure why anybody would want to do this.

The latest Which? advice:

Britain has set itself an ambitious target of fitting every home with smart meters by 2020.

Now the official roll-out has started, energy companies have been asked to take 'all reasonable steps' to install smart meters in every home, however you still have the right to refuse a smart meter.

But be aware that if your energy company has contacted you to change your energy meter to a smart meter because your current meter needs replacing (i.e. it's too old), then you should get it replaced as it could be a safety hazard not to.

If you really don't want a smart meter, tell your supplier and they will probably offer to install a 'dumb' meter or set up a smart meter to work in 'dumb' mode with all the communications switched off.

PS 'Reasonable steps' have yet to be defined.
  • Thank you all. Most helpful.
  • System
    Thank you all. Most helpful.

Just so you know, there appears to be a lot of resistance to smart meters in some other EU countries. Eire, for example, is considering legislation that will allow suppliers to recover additional operating costs from consumers where the supplier can demonstrate that the property was suitable for smart metering. We may soon see tariffs which are cheaper for consumers with smart meters which is another way of 'encouraging' consumers to agree to a smart meter.

My advice, FWiW, wait until at least mid 2018 before making a final decision. By then all smart meters will be to the new SMETS2 standard which will ensure that the meter works with any supplier of your choosing.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 March 2017 at 2:06PM

Since 1st August 1998, certification of electricity meters lasts for 10, 15 or 20 years depending on model type.

You can see the full legislation here, including certification validity durations
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1566/made/data.pdf

Since your meter was certified before the introduction of this legislation, then it could be your meter was certified for a longer period - certification lasting for as long as was specified at that time.

Additionally, subsequent in-service surveillance monitoring through the national sample survey can result in the certification life of a particular meter type being either extended or reduced.

If you believe meter is inaccurate, you should always contact your supplier.
    (a charge may apply for an accuracy test, but this will be refunded if the meter is proven to be inaccurate i.e. outside of the acceptable accuracy limits)

You do not have to have a smart meter. Many people who want smart meters still cannot have them e.g. if they are on E7/E10, etc
    Worst case scenario if you do not want a smart meter, is that the supplier will install one, but will have all the smart functions turned off - so it acts as a dumb meter anyway.
    (but chances are they will simply install a dumb meter if you say you do not want a smart meter)
  • System
    edited 27 March 2017 at 8:16AM
    Your supplier wants to fit one so why don t you do the decent thing and let them fit one and assist the supplier to run their business more efficiently. There may well be a cost issue as well in the future with suppliers billing the refusers with a £60 a year metering surcharge. That`s what happens in Florida and California.
    Big mistake by the government of the time giving Joe Public the illogical choice of whether they want a particular electric meter, which they do not own, in their properties. The rest of Europe never did (Swedes and Germans excepted ) .
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    C11B2A-H and from the meter serial I guess it's the NEEB area. These were certified for 30 years back in the day.

So no rush.

And your supplier beign able to read without bethering you is surely a benefit to you, as is not having to supply reads! As is even a handheld display to read the meter without going into the cupboards. Saving money though no it won't help you with using less, you can do that anyway!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback