Any Butlins experts around? Adding an extra adult

I've paid £209 to take myself and my 6 year old to Skegness at Easter. Thats silver accommodation and includes the premium dining breakfast and tea. I've just rung up to enquire about adding an extra adult and they are quoting me £225 to add on one person! They say its because I need to upgrade the room (currently a double) to one that will sleep 3. In all the years I've been going I've never had a silver standard room that is any different - they have all been a double room, a twin room and a tiny bathroom in the middle. No way can we afford the extra £225 to take my partner, it more than doubles the cost of the holiday. Am I missing something here, is there anyway round it? Obvs I expected to pay more but not more than double what I paid in the first place.:(

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    What have you booked? Is it one of these https://www.butlins.com/where-to-stay-dine-and-play/where-to-stay/skegness/silver-room.aspx

If it is a one room then it is perfectly understandable they will need to change your accommodation.
  • BoBoDobie
    BoBoDobie Posts: 287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes that's the ones. They're always a twin room, bathroom in the middle and then a double so we'd all fit. Even to upgrade I'm just amazed it's more than i paid for 2 of us. I thought Butlins was supposed to be an affordable place!
  • theonlywayisup
    When you say "they are always....." that really doesn't come into it. If you've booked one room and that is suitable for 2 people only, you can't squeeze 3 into it. Have you priced up a brand new holiday based on 3 people to see what the difference is? What dates are you going?
  • BoBoDobie
    When you say "they are always....." that really doesn't come into it. If you've booked one room and that is suitable for 2 people only, you can't squeeze 3 into it. Have you priced up a brand new holiday based on 3 people to see what the difference is? What dates are you going?

I think the point I'm finding hard to take is i didn't think they did a purely double only room bar the bog standard prefab accommodation that I thought they phased out. All the years I've been booking silver for 2 of us, I've had 2 bedrooms and enough room to sleep 4.

Going on 7th April. Good point, no id not thought of booking now for 3 to seee the price difference. It's probably going to be sky high, I booked last year and I think the earlier you book the cheaper it tends to be.
  • theonlywayisup
    BoBoDobie wrote: »
    I think the point I'm finding hard to take is i didn't think they did a purely double only room bar the bog standard prefab accommodation that I thought they phased out. All the years I've been booking silver for 2 of us, I've had 2 bedrooms and enough room to sleep 4.

Going on 7th April. Good point, no id not thought of booking now for 3 to seee the price difference. It's probably going to be sky high, I booked last year and I think the earlier you book the cheaper it tends to be.

There could be many reasons you've never had a one room accommodation, not least because; they were all full (more 2 party bookings than double rooms); they wanted to entice you into booking a bigger accommodation in the future (showing what is on offer if it's available is a cheap way to advertise this); their other accommodations were empty and they wanted to balance the areas booked out.....and so it goes on.

Why don't you price up a new break and see what the difference is. If it's not too much you could try sweet-talking the booking agent into changing your booking to that same price. Or you might prefer to cancel and rebook (checking there are no cancellation fees).
  • BoBoDobie
    There could be many reasons you've never had a one room accommodation, not least because; they were all full (more 2 party bookings than double rooms); they wanted to entice you into booking a bigger accommodation in the future (showing what is on offer if it's available is a cheap way to advertise this); their other accommodations were empty and they wanted to balance the areas booked out.....and so it goes on.

Why don't you price up a new break and see what the difference is. If it's not too much you could try sweet-talking the booking agent into changing your booking to that same price. Or you might prefer to cancel and rebook (checking there are no cancellation fees).

Yes fair points. A new booking works out more unfortunately. Will just have to forget the idea I think.
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    The times that I have been in a silver room for two it has always been one room with twin beds and a small bathroom off to the side or a double bed with a bathroom off to the side.

So the silver rooms are not always two rooms.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family