Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi all, my 14 yr old daughter is going to the USA in April and I was wondering which is the best card to get her to use which I can preload with spending money.
    Soldo provides supplementary cards for minors and good value for overseas use. Monthly fee begins after three months. Please let us know how it goes if you try it.

https://family.soldo.com/en-uk/c/family/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Please to read about free FairFx card renewals:
    As of May 20th, 2017, the following changes will come into effect:
    • A reduction in the refund charge for your active cards from £10/$10/€10 to £5/$5/€5 – making it cheaper to unload your card.
    • A reduction in the card renewal fee - previously £5.95, now free
    • Introduction of an administration fee of £2/$3/€2.50 per month for expired cards with leftover balances. This reflects costs we are charged for cards that expire without having balances cleared.
    • The “out of currency fee” for the Euro and US Dollar cards will increase to 1.75%. This is charged when you use the cards in a different currency to what is held on the card. This does not affect the GBP Everywhere card.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • eDicky
    Mee wrote: »
    Please to read about free FairFx card renewals:
    Thanks for the info. FairFX seem to be trying harder to retain customers now that better alternatives are available.

The 'refund charge' for unloading your card can be avoided by using it to top-up a Revolut account, which can then be withdrawn without fee. It may also work with Monzo or Loot.
  • Hey guys,

I wondered if anyone has had a experience with prepaid travel cards around Indonesia. I'm holidaying in Bali this May and as the currency is massively different to GBP this will mean having loads of cash, which I don't really feel comfortable with.

Any advice really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Shelley x
  • eDicky
    Michelle14 wrote: »
    the currency is massively different to GBP this will mean having loads of cash,
    Perhaps you refer to the largest Indonesian banknote, Rp.100,000 being equal to £6, which might lead to a bulky pocketful. But apart from normal precaution there's no real need to worry about personal security in Bali, which is unique compared to the other predominantly Moslem parts of Indonesia. ATMs are widespread and do not charge for withdrawals, so there is no need to take out a large amount at a time. Prepaid cards work fine for withdrawals and for purchases where accepted, which is most shops and restaurants except rural or wayside warungs etc. Revolut, Monzo and Loot are the current best value options.
  • Why does no one mention the CaxtonFX prepaid card? I've been using it for years with no problems at all. Very good dollar and Euro rates, nice people at the end of the phone!
  • eDicky
    ianrhammy wrote: »
    Why does no one mention the CaxtonFX prepaid card? I've been using it for years with no problems at all. Very good dollar and Euro rates, nice people at the end of the phone!
    Their rates are simply not competitive, when there are now cards that give straight MasterCard or interbank rates without fees.
  • Hi,

I am looking for your advice re travel cards. I am going to France and I am stuck between WeSwap and FairFX. I will probably not use for paying for things but for taking out money.

I like the idea of WeSwap but FairFX have better reviews. Any advice, Thanks.
  • eDicky
    amacg09 wrote: »
    I like the idea of WeSwap but FairFX have better reviews. Any advice, Thanks.
    Instead of either of them I would prefer Revolut, Monzo or Loot or all three, to avoid fees, less than perfect exchange rates, and being stuck with leftover unused euros. I would use the cards for purchases whenever possible and take some cash pounds for exchange just in case their fee-free withdrawal limits were insufficient. Loot has the most generous withdrawal limits, but don't rely on only one card.
  • whats the best pre-paid card to use in Turkey?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback