DRO ending - what happens now?

Options
Happy new year everyone.

My DRO will be 1 year on 6th January. Can someone fill me in with what happens now. Do I get any kind of paperwork or can creditors contact me at all now? Sorry for the ignorance. Many thanks in advance :)
You're so very special, I wish I was special :dance:

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Four days to go till your debts are gone then.

No you do not get anything from the DRO Team. However your entry on the insolvency register will change to show that the moratorium period has completed. It will stay like that for 3 months before disappearing completely.

So in that period it's worth printing a copy (copies?) to show to anyone who tries to pursue a debt that was in your DRO. You also need to keep the original letter you got when the DRO started (the Debtors Notice).

The other thing it will be worth doing is to get copies of all 3 credit reports to check that defaults have been registered on or before the date of your DRO, if you haven't already done that.
  • moosetastic
    moosetastic Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    This is great thank you. Got them all printed and all together. So the DRO unit don't tell you its all over then? Can I ask for anything to show it's ended?

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    From the latest newsletter:
    We are not sure if everyone is aware of this, but the team do not automatically send a letter to the debtor when the DRO moratorium has ended. We will send one if specifically requested by the debtor after the one year has expired.

In practice you shouldn't need one as the creditors will be aware of the DRO and the timescale. Any uncertainty can be proved by you (or them) printing off a copy of the register entry in that 3-month window.

But ultimately, if you need a letter, the DRO Team can generate one.
  • alltaken
    alltaken Posts: 452 Forumite
    Options
    You can also send the team an email via the address below, requesting a confirmation of discharge letter that will be emailed back as a PDF.

DRO.Unit@insolvency.gsi.gov.uk
  • moosetastic
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thank you both, this is great. I think I'm just worrying about getting people phoning me up again but hopefully now I can settle. I'll email them and get a letter. Thank you

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you both, this is great. I think I'm just worrying about getting people phoning me up again but hopefully now I can settle. I'll email them and get a letter. Thank you

Just remember that you have continued legal protection from all your creditors whose debts were included in your DRO.

So if you are contacted by a DCA sometime in the future that's bought one of your old debts, you know how to deal with them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • moosetastic
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    That's great thank you ☺

• Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I took a copy of my discharge entry on the insolvency register website and used it when I was still contacted by debt collectors who'd bought my debt without knowing they couldn't get anything from me.

Mine finished over two years ago now.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • moosetastic
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thanks Lucy I've got it all printed off so if any does get in touch then I'll just do that.

• alltaken
    alltaken Posts: 452 Forumite
    Options
    Lucy5781 if you haven't already and moosetastic for future use:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=677875

Clearing up your credit file not only has the benefit of resolving outstanding accounts, it also stops the debt being sold or passed over to another collections company. Having the notice of discharge letter/print out of discharge from the IS website helps when they write or show up at the door, but resolving your credit file is key.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure