Removing black box? (Admiral)

kmb500
kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I currently have a black box policy with Admiral, my insurance is up for renewal soon and I am most likely going to switch insurers. Does anyone know if the insurance company will remove the black box? I can't find this anywhere on their website.

Comments

• kmb500 wrote: »
    I currently have a black box policy with Admiral, my insurance is up for renewal soon and I am most likely going to switch insurers. Does anyone know if the insurance company will remove the black box? I can't find this anywhere on their website.

Why not phone admiral they are in a better position to know that a forum unrelated to the company.
    Personally I will just whip the wire cutters out the day after my insurance lapses.
    Not that I would ever actually let anyone fit a black box in the first place.
  • If you change cars whilst insured with Admiral, they don't remove the black box from your old vehicle. All they do is to disable it remotely and leave it there.
    Unless you know exactly how it is connected up, leaving it in place and getting Admiral to disable it is probably the safest option.
  • peter12345678910
    peter12345678910 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 11:08AM
    I would ring them up, but if you have found cheaper car insurance have the details ready as they may lower your insurance. If they don't then just tell them to send your NCD to the new insurer.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you change cars whilst insured with Admiral, they don't remove the black box from your old vehicle. All they do is to disable it remotely and leave it there.
    Unless you know exactly how it is connected up, leaving it in place and getting Admiral to disable it is probably the safest option.
    Yeah, the usual procedure is just for them to disable it I think. I will call them when I'm home from work.

I don't want to leave it there disabled, it looks ugly and I want it gone! I just don't know how it wired up, and don't want to damage my car given that it's glued on with some seriously sticky material.
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Yeah, the usual procedure is just for them to disable it I think. I will call them when I'm home from work.

I don't want to leave it there disabled, it looks ugly and I want it gone! I just don't know how it wired up, and don't want to damage my car given that it's glued on with some seriously sticky material.

Glued to where? Normally a black box is screwed to a frame and secured further with cable ties and is out of sight behind a panel.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    What's Admiral's thinking behind this one then? That some other poor sucker might insure the vehicle with them and if they are forced down the black box route - hey presto! It's already there. Job done! Or am I being too cynical?
  • GingerBob wrote: »
    What's Admiral's thinking behind this one then? That some other poor sucker might insure the vehicle with them and if they are forced down the black box route - hey presto! It's already there. Job done! Or am I being too cynical?

Think it is more to do with the cost of paying an automotive electrician to remove the box

The thing I found strange was with the box we had fitted, on changing insurers, they wanted to fit a new box. Surely, they could swap access to the original box amongst themselves
  • rudekid48
    Think it is more to do with the cost of paying an automotive electrician to remove the box

The thing I found strange was with the box we had fitted, on changing insurers, they wanted to fit a new box. Surely, they could swap access to the original box amongst themselves

It's not the box that is the issue, it's the SIM that's in it. The SIM is 'killed' remotely so that your location data cannot be transmitted to the insurer if you are no longer insured with them. Without an active SIM, the box is useless.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • rudekid48
    GingerBob wrote: »

Yes, you're being too cynical. The DPA prevents that from happening.
  • rudekid48 wrote: »
    It's not the box that is the issue, it's the SIM that's in it. The SIM is 'killed' remotely so that your location data cannot be transmitted to the insurer if you are no longer insured with them. Without an active SIM, the box is useless.

Ah, makes sense I suppose, though why the details f the sim can't be passed amongst insurance companies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure