MSE News: How to beat the latest TalkTalk price hikes

Comments

• I only found out about the price increase this week = I had no email or letter from TT. I spent an hour onscreen chat with one customer service agent who informed me of the 'breakage charge' I would face if |I left the contract. A bit of persistence and a few other checks confirmed that TT do adhere to OFCOM regs on leaving without charge or penalty. fee 'should be' waived but we'll wait and see. Moved to Sky for £10 cheaper deal.
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' : Member number 632
    Nerds rule! :cool:
  • fossman
    fossman Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I paid line rental upfront and then pay each month £7.50 for simply broadband and a further £10 for medium fibre (I did get 12 months fibre free).

Where does this leave me now then? Well the new £27 per month fibre pricing works out loads cheaper than what I will soon be paying when my free 12 months ends. But seeing what everyone else is paying TalkTalk it seems £27 a month is too much.

I've not had the email about the price increase yet but will give them a call as soon as I do.
    Cashback earned
    Quidco : £858 :)
    Pigsback : £20 and a Beatles CD.
  • There only a few deals that can be cheaper than what TalkTalk's retention deals can offer.
    SSE's 76mbps+anytime calls for £21 is the one I used to bargain against Talktalk. Obviously, they are very unlikely to match that at that price.

Due to the price increase, I was able to renew with talktalk for 76mbps + anytime for £28.75. Previous was paying £32.70 for 38mb Plus TV package. I wasn't interested with having tv plans, so don't know if they will discount for that. I didn't go with SSE as they said I need a BT line and didn't offer an option to do a LLU conversion (£36.91). Plus there is a possibility for a long downtime when switching and congestion issues.

Discounts applied was:
    18 months half price to Anytime call boost
    £7 discount off for 18 months.

Don't think you can go lower than this but you can try your luck.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 7:35AM
    Just spent an hour on the phone to TT, haggling, they wanted £27.95 for a new, package, same I have now, no upfront payment for landline, got them down to £23.75 pm,Fast Speed Plan, just 25p more than I already pay, for a new 18 month contract, unlimited BB and unlimited , anytime calls LL and mobiles, and line rental.
    My one month remaining on my last upfront line rental, will be credited to my account.
    Quite happy with that.very pleasant, struggled with background noise, but, cannot complain.
    sorted, took 2 calls several people, but, insist on retention, loyalty team, only too pleased to retain you.
    I've been with them since it was Aol.
    This way is better than, paying line upfront for 12 months, and 18 month contract, only to have to haggle again when line rental is due again, like mine now.
  • LesU
    LesU Posts: 338 Forumite
    I'm very pleased with the new packages. As my 'hook-in' incentive prices were stopping, my monthly payments for Plus TV fibre + unlimited calls+line rental rose to £48, set to go to £51. I was about to start looking around for alternative suppliers.
    The new deal, which I set up on-line in about 5 minutes, gives me Fibre+unlimited+line rental (I've ditched the expensive TV boost, I only went for it because it was part of the initial promotion) for £32 p.m.. Talktalk refunded my 1 month outstanding advance line rental automatically. I now can't find an equivalent that will stay cheaper for 18 months, so I'm staying with Talktalk.
    One aspect of the new packages that nobody has mentioned, is that the monthly price is fixed for 18 months. As the prices for broadband and phone seem to rise every 6 months this is a significant extra.
  • fossman
    Just been looking at the other deals available from other suppliers, our BT cabinet is fully subscribed with fibre users so I won't be able to switch to a new supplier.
    Cashback earned
  • I joined Talk-talk in January 2016, phone and fibre broadband (38MB). I have received a email informing of the rises. The deal I signed was for 18 months and for 12 months only line rental payable and fibre was free (£17.70), After this 6 months line rental and and fibre charges (£17.70 line rental and Fibre £10).

Can I cancel my agreement with talk talk if I can not have the price increases removed?
  • I joined Talk-talk in January 2016, phone and fibre broadband (38MB). I have received a email informing of the rises. The deal I signed was for 18 months and for 12 months only line rental payable and fibre was free (£17.70), After this 6 months line rental and and fibre charges (£17.70 line rental and Fibre £10).

Can I cancel my agreement with talk talk if I can not have the price increases removed?

Yes you're entitled to leave with no penalty as the cost of line rental is increasing. I would get out while you can - I think you need to ring them. Make sure you're aware of the best deals out there if you'll consider staying for a better deal.
  • fossman
    Just been on the online chat.

I am on 38Mb fibre and my broadband price is going up by £1.25 per month. When my free fibre offer ends I'll be paying £37.95 per month.

I went all the way through to actually giving my 30 days notice and they still wouldn't really move on the price.

The best discount they would offer me was £2 a month so I managed to get the Fast Fibre package for £25 per month.

As my cabinet is fully subscribed I don't have the option of switching supplier so accepted the offer.
    Cashback earned
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    fossman wrote: »
    Just been on the online chat.

I am on 38Mb fibre and my broadband price is going up by £1.25 per month. When my free fibre offer ends I'll be paying £37.95 per month.

I went all the way through to actually giving my 30 days notice and they still wouldn't really move on the price.

The best discount they would offer me was £2 a month so I managed to get the Fast Fibre package for £25 per month.

As my cabinet is fully subscribed I don't have the option of switching supplier so accepted the offer.

Thanks for the information.

How did you find out your cabinet was fully subscribed? Presumably you did an online price enquiry with another ISP and they told you fibre was not available on your line.

Did they upgrade you from 38mb to 76mb ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure