PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house - Coal mines within 20M

SoupedNinja
SoupedNinja Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 13 October 2016 at 2:21PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi All,

I've been looking to buy for a short while - have viewed quite a few houses so far in the West Midlands area - and have found a couple that meet the criteria. I've also discovered that the area is rife with past coal mining activity.

One property which meets all our requirements is unfortunately situated within 20M of several mine shafts. One is outside the boundary of the property, in the area of the footpath/road, 6M from the building. The others are 20M or more from the building. These were last worked in the early 1900's at a depth of 65m - 120m, and the house was built in the late 1930's or early 1940's. The report also said that there was in a surface area possibly affected by mining of ironstone from the 1850's at 150m depth.

Looking round the house there was no cracking or distortion visible to any interior walls, doors all closed properly, no cracking or new brickwork etc on the outside of the building. No claims reported in the area by the Coal Authority.

I've had opinions from others stretching from an immediate "don't even bother" to "it's not moved in 80 odd years and half this place is built on/near mines". The one nearest the house has a main road running right next to it... Research online shows the same swinging opinion.

Obviously the offer price would have to reflect the work that the property needs doing internally, and also the (hopefully low) risk of any subsidence in the future. Is there any more advice/opinion that you guys can offer to me? Would a mine entry interpretive report bring anything more to light as there appear to be no records of any treatment at all?

Comments

• Think I would pass on it if it were me looking at these, Sinkholes and so on happening more often nowadays would make me be on edge in this house wondering if one morning I woke up 50 foot down.
  • ap1985
    ap1985 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Hi All,

I've been looking to buy for a short while - have viewed quite a few houses so far in the West Midlands area - and have found a couple that meet the criteria. I've also discovered that the area is rife with past coal mining activity.

One property which meets all our requirements is unfortunately situated within 20M of several mine shafts. One is outside the boundary of the property, in the area of the footpath/road, 6M from the building. The others are 20M or more from the building. These were last worked in the early 1900's at a depth of 65m - 120m, and the house was built in the late 1930's or early 1940's. The report also said that there was in a surface area possibly affected by mining of ironstone from the 1850's at 150m depth.

Looking round the house there was no cracking or distortion visible to any interior walls, doors all closed properly, no cracking or new brickwork etc on the outside of the building. No claims reported in the area by the Coal Authority.

I've had opinions from others stretching from an immediate "don't even bother" to "it's not moved in 80 odd years and half this place is built on/near mines". The one nearest the house has a main road running right next to it... Research online shows the same swinging opinion.

Obviously the offer price would have to reflect the work that the property needs doing internally, and also the (hopefully low) risk of any subsidence in the future. Is there any more advice/opinion that you guys can offer to me? Would a mine entry interpretive report bring anything more to light as there appear to be no records of any treatment at all?

This sounds like Corby
    :jFinally going to be a homeowner:T
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Would you be able to get a mortgage on this property ? Would anyone insure you for subsidence ?

Personally I wouldn't buy it because I'd be worried and forever looking for signs of subsidence !
  • SoupedNinja
    SoupedNinja Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 13 October 2016 at 2:40PM
    It would be a cash purchase. The two insurers i've read the policy documents of don't specifically mention past mining/coal mining in the subsidence section (they exclude "settling" of new land), and a dummy quote done for the exact address did not at any point ask about mining, and the assumptions also make no mention of it. Unless i'm looking in the wrong place that is.

As far as I understood it, if it was a coal mine/shaft that caused subsidence, the Coal Authority would pay for rectification.
  • lee111s wrote: »
    chroniclelivenews/north-east-news/houses-west-allotment-cordoned-families-11567821

Interestingly where the damage occurred, there are no mine entries on the mining data map. Which i've come to the realisation that anywhere I buy a house in this area there could be undisclosed mine shafts or other history - whereas if you know where they are, whats the likelyhood of there being other undisclosed shafts?
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ap1985 wrote: »
    This sounds like Corby

Corby coal mines?
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • bubbs wrote: »
    Corby coal mines?

More black country way.
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Its not Corby , Corby was steelworks
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure