PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice please!

Hi we bought our house in November 2014 and have a 100ft long garden with a garage at the end away from the House at the other. Within 2 months of us living there we had seen two people in our garden - 1 claimed to be looking for a dog which never materialised and I can't remember the other poor excuse so we ordered 6ft high gates when they came we realised they would have to be fitted a foot off the ground as the garden is higher than the road. The gates have been in place 18 months and we have today received a letter from the Council saying that they contraven planning rules and we need to apply for retrospective planning permission. I am worried that they will not allow planning permission and ask us to remove the gates. Looking at the rules - I see we should only have a 1m high gate - that's what was there when people were climbing over it. We live on a well used Country Lane with 8ft high hedges either side of the gates - the gates open inwards so do not obstruct our view or anyone else's view up the road when opened or closed the only impact caused by the gates is that people can't see into our garden or climb over the gate. What is the best way to discuss this with teh Council? I will apply for retrospective planning but do I point out the gates have no impact?

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Spell out the reasons you did it. I doubt they'll want higher burglary stats in their area.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    If you say they have no impact they could argue that you should remove them!

We had a case here in Cornwall, where the house owner installed a small plastic double glazed window, not visible to the public from any direction.

They were ordered to remove it and install a wooden framed window

The reason? You let one person to get away with something thought to be trivial sets a precedent and opens the floodgates for others.

Get some Rottweilers.

fj
  • Point out the height of the hedges, the fact they open inwards and that you are doing it for your safety.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If you say they have no impact they could argue that you should remove them!

I'm fairly sure the OP meant visual impact, as in obstructing a view of the highway, which is why the rules are there.

What Cornwall Council do about UPVC windows seems somewhat unrelated.

The need to apply for planning is there as a safeguard, so if there is really no impact on the safety of public using the lane, and if the gates don't fall foul of other planning law, such as that relating to conservation areas, it's likely the council will approve the application retrospectively.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure