Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,893 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Kittens! Wahoo, Kittens!!! :j:j:j:j Did you know it's compulsory to share photos of newly homed kittens on the Internet? You didn't? Well I am telling it is! ;)

You'll have SO much fun with them KK, but don't leave anything they shouldn't chew, anywhere they might one day reach! When we got ours we went out one day, leaving them in the house. There's a shelf by our back door, but at the time they couldn't get up there. We'd left some travel sickness pills (2, just in a small blister pack, no cardboard) that we intended to take to a relative on the shelf. When we came back later that evening, we were amused to see the kittens had managed to jump onto the shelf for the first time. We thought nothing more of it until the next day when I discovered a *very* chewed *empty* blister pack on the floor. :eek::eek::eek: We knew which cat it would have been (eats anything in sight, including plastic, even now), so panicked call to the vets ensued. Fortunately the drug was licensed for use in cats in the States, but he'd eaten 17 times the dose he should have had. :eek:Anything could have happened, including liver failure, but we were incredibly lucky and there were no noticeable effects (although he's SO daft we do wonder about his brain sometimes!). So.... moral of the story is, never assume they can't get to something!! (Our cats also open various magnetised cupboard doors and the kitchen has a latch to stop them getting in...).

And... don't be precious about your curtains! And that doesn't stop when they're light enough not to do major damage to them - ours are big 3-year-old boys and still climb them occasionally!

oooh, kittens! :D
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Bye bye lovely new house then :rotfl::rotfl:

Congratulations on your soon to be new arrivals, what other names do you like? , oscar is good :D our pets are always Harry Potter related, the most awkward was mrs. Norris the cat , always much confusion at the vets :rotfl:

P.s. we must have pictures.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Oh how lovely ,i am a huge cat lover too like many others on here and who can resist kittens ,i have to stay away from friends with kittens now as i always seem to end up taking one home .
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ah lovely news about the new kittens. Congratulations on clearing the cc too!!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks guys :) we are so excited it's unreal!

We've decided to name the white & tabby boy cat Hugo in the end and tried using it for a few days whenever we discussed them. We've messaged their owner to let them know and she's started to call them Oscar & Hugo so they get used to their names. I'm so happy I could burst :D

Small OPs being made of the Tilly tidy variety whenever there's a debit in the joint account, pleased with how that's progressing.

Money's very tight this month so having to really watch the pennies; I've paid for re-enrolment to silver class which was £95 and paid the deposit for the kitties.
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Oh and definitely about bye bye shiny house! :D

MadVix- your story did make me chuckle, I'll make sure we are vigilant with leaving things 'out of reach' reminds me of when I was little and found our ginger Tom cat straddling the cooker hob and eating the slag Bol straight from the frying pan.mum was not amused in the slightest and we had to have boiled spuds and salad for dinner as money was tight! Funny memories :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,893 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Lovely names KK!

Honestly, it's like permanently having toddlers in the house (they are house cats though, I think that makes a difference!)!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    Not much to report today, just home from work and watching the shocking news of this terror incident on London Bridge :eek:

Have text family who work in central to check all okay, have heard from a few of girlfriends cousins that they're ok; assuming others are still stuck in work/chaos getting home. Sat here with goosebumps. Just appalling, poor people going about their normal daily lives.
  • ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    I love the story about the spag bol! We had two cats that never, ever jumped onto the work surface in the kitchen...that is until the day mum was defrosting 1/2 lb of cooked beef and one of the little !!!!!!s chose that day to learn how to jump up...ate the whole lot!

Yes, it's shocking about London. I feel so sorry for those killed or injured, and their families. I hope everyone down there stays safe.
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 24 March 2017 at 8:25AM
    Oh mam, the roast beef! I'd be gutted to lose my roast dinner!
    Decided to make homemade calzones but I helped out with closing the shop (weekly cashing up of the post office) so I'm just waiting impatiently for it to finish cooking ( half the dough now in the freezer for next time) and the second calzone will be lunch tomorrow in the office.

A few surveys completed today and no spends until £1.50 at Tesco on a pack of spuds, mozzarella & pepperoni.

Will take porridge again tomorrow to work. I had frozen some raspberry coulis we made into ice cubes so I added one of those, some ground almonds and half a banana to the porridge. It was delicious, so will follow suit tomorrow :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback