Eon - Customer loyalty??

Comments

• fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    First day back today fredandwilma and just catching up. Mother's moved in with the wife and I so don't need to make any tariff decisions straightaway thankfully.

Worthwhile if stressful break thanks. :)

Malc

That reads as if you don't reside with your wife? :D

There are some collectives around at the moment. Did you register for the Big Community Switch? Offers available from 24th October, I'm expecting to see an E.on saver v4 tariff win, (for new customers only.)
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    As a matter of interest, what is Eon's definition of an existing customer barred from getting the cheap tariffs?

If Mr A, an Eon customer, gets Mrs A to apply for the cheap tariff; is that allowed?

What if married daughter(Mrs B) applies for the cheap tariff at her parents address?

Presumably if I(Mr C) bought Mr A's house I would have no problem in getting the cheap tariff. I wonder if the computer software is sophisticated enough to detect that Mrs A and Mrs B are not new occupants?
  • Loyalty, that's a joke.

We have just had our new quote from E.ON as our fixed tariff runs out in November.

E.ON are 33% more expensive than 4 of the big six providers and 50+ of the smaller.

I emailed the CEO and had a nice reply from his office. Basically, that's their tariff, take it or leave it. E.ON do not price match and consider their prices to be reasonable.

14 years of loyalty to E.ON and they don't give a damn that their prices are extortionate.

When the CEO's department of a large corporation do not care about being competitive, it's the end of the company. This has happened to so many big companies that you would think the penny would drop and these overpaid Captains of Industry would wake up and count the cost (or in our case, the deserting customers). We are switching to EDF for an annual saving of £350.

E.ON, the new British Gas.
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 October 2016 at 1:59PM
    Cardew wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what is Eon's definition of an existing customer barred from getting the cheap tariffs?

If Mr A, an Eon customer, gets Mrs A to apply for the cheap tariff; is that allowed?

What if married daughter(Mrs B) applies for the cheap tariff at her parents address?

Presumably if I(Mr C) bought Mr A's house I would have no problem in getting the cheap tariff. I wonder if the computer software is sophisticated enough to detect that Mrs A and Mrs B are not new occupants?

I don't have the answer, but as I recall from an earlier post,somewhere? the transfer procedure is based on amongst other things the gas/ electric meter numbers so their computer would likely not accept it as being a " new" account.

It will be interesting to see what Malc. has to say on this one I have put my OH on standby to open an account.!
  • I don't think you could get the new tariff if you moved into a house currently supplied by Eon. When you set up your account with opening readings on moving in, you would become an existing customer and couldn't switch onto the new tariff.

As such this workaround of changing the account holder won't work and is pointless.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I don't think you could get the new tariff if you moved into a house currently supplied by Eon. When you set up your account with opening readings on moving in, you would become an existing customer and couldn't switch onto the new tariff.

As such this workaround of changing the account holder won't work and is pointless.

Surely that is incorrect(I hope).

I accept that if I moved into a house supplied by Eon, I would be placed on a 'deemed tariff' with Eon. However it would be stretching a point to claim I was an existing client of Eon and thus not eligible for a cheap tariff.

Surely the purpose of this disgraceful practice by Eon is that they estimate that more people will be unaware they are being ripped-off, than those who will move supplier - 'inertia wins'.

What annoys me even more is that Ofgem issued a directive to companies to simplify tariffs so those customers who found tariffs too difficult to understand would be able to get a cheaper tariff. This flies in the face of that directive.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Surely that is incorrect(I hope).

I accept that if I moved into a house supplied by Eon, I would be placed on a 'deemed tariff' with Eon. However it would be stretching a point to claim I was an existing client of Eon and thus not eligible for a cheap tariff.

Surely the purpose of this disgraceful practice by Eon is that they estimate that more people will be unaware they are being ripped-off, than those who will move supplier - 'inertia wins'.

What annoys me even more is that Ofgem issued a directive to companies to simplify tariffs so those customers who found tariffs too difficult to understand would be able to get a cheaper tariff. This flies in the face of that directive.

Hello Cardew

Our systems use the supply numbers to see whether or not we supply a property. The Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) for electricity and Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) for gas identify the property and tell us whether or not we already supply it. If we do, the Saver Tariffs won't be available regardless of whose name the account is in.

As you say, when moving into a new home already supplied by us, the person responsible automatically becomes our customer as soon as they use energy under the 'deemed contract' arrangement. Again, the Saver Tariffs won't be available.

Hope this explains.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    First day back today fredandwilma and just catching up. Mother's moved in with the wife and I so don't need to make any tariff decisions straightaway thankfully.

Worthwhile if stressful break thanks. :)

Malc
    That reads as if you don't reside with your wife? :D

There are some collectives around at the moment. Did you register for the Big Community Switch? Offers available from 24th October, I'm expecting to see an E.on saver v4 tariff win, (for new customers only.)

With both of us fredandwilma unless there's something I don't know??? :D

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Scaleyback wrote: »
    Loyalty, that's a joke.

We have just had our new quote from E.ON as our fixed tariff runs out in November.

E.ON are 33% more expensive than 4 of the big six providers and 50+ of the smaller.

I emailed the CEO and had a nice reply from his office. Basically, that's their tariff, take it or leave it. E.ON do not price match and consider their prices to be reasonable.

14 years of loyalty to E.ON and they don't give a damn that their prices are extortionate.

When the CEO's department of a large corporation do not care about being competitive, it's the end of the company. This has happened to so many big companies that you would think the penny would drop and these overpaid Captains of Industry would wake up and count the cost (or in our case, the deserting customers). We are switching to EDF for an annual saving of £350.

E.ON, the new British Gas.

Hello Scaleyback and welcome to the Forums.

Just a quick heads up. Don't know if you're aware but, as your current fixed tariff runs out next month, you'll be within the Price Protection window. This is open 49 calendar days before a tariff ends until 20 working days after. During this time and provided we're told, you'll be kept on the cheaper prices whilst the account switches away. Exit fees also don't apply whilst this window is open.

Sorry to lose you and hope this is of interest.

Malc
    FOREVER21 wrote: »
    I don't have the answer, but as I recall from an earlier post,somewhere? the transfer procedure is based on amongst other things the gas/ electric meter numbers so their computer would likely not accept it as being a " new" account.

It will be interesting to see what Malc. has to say on this one I have put my OH on standby to open an account.!

You're rightFOREVER21, as I posted above, switches are based around the supply numbers for electricity and gas. These identify the property and let us know if we're already the supplier. If we are, the Saver Tariffs won't be available.

Hope this explains.

Malc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure