printer paper jam

Options
ok, i turned my printer on today for the first time in a while as i need to print something important. sadly i was greeted with a flashing message saying paper jam. the instructions say to open the door at the back to clear it but when i did that there was no paper anywhere to be seen jamming the printer. is there anything i can do or is it a choice between paying to get it fixed and buying a new one? the model is hp photosmart c5280.

Comments

• Spelunthus
    Options
    Donna - I've found that even if there is no obvious sheet of paper jammed inside, there may be a tiny scrap of paper stuck somewhere which is just tripping the "jammed" sensor.

Turn it off and unplug it.

Open up the printer as much as you can. Look everywhere inside the paper path, use a torch if needed! Spin all the rollers & wheels, lift any levers and BLOW HARD. Remove any paper scraps or paper dust you can find.

Then put it back together and try again.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Air dusters are your friend in situation like this.

As said above it will just be a bit of old paper/dust on a sensor.

Open up everywhere you can find and blast a full tin of air duster in there
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thankyou, i will have a go this afternoon and post whether i am successful or not. it could well be dust as i have not moved the thing for a long time.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    Me being dumb I didn't realise air duster is an actual product. I believe you can get it in Poundland so I will make a visit tomorrow.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happened to me once, turned out there was a small scrap of torn off paper visible about 4" inside in the back. Printer seems designed not to be taken apart. Pliers too fat, tweezers too short. It took a pair of tweezers sellotaped to the jaws of long nosed pliers to remove it.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    i tried using a air duster and it made no difference. of course i am just guessing where i need to point it. the printer is also now refusing to turn off. when i turn it off it starts to go off and then just comes straight back on. i have to unplug it.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Is there a button stuck down somewhere ?
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Is there a button stuck down somewhere ?

I sorted the turning off issue. I could do with knowing where the sensor is so I can target it with the air duster. I am sure there's no paper in there because if paper had ripped I would see that when the sheet comes out. Every time I have printed the sheet has come out fully intact. It is annoying because it may well be 8 years old but it hasn't really been used a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure