Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    :hello: Exactly that, Cheery, yes! And its still true :rotfl:

Been doing a bit more writing up of phone notes for various articles, and I've swept most of the bits in the living room now - ug, is all I can say :o and Phew! My allergies thank me :D

I'll be doing more bits later - need to go out for a walk now, in the fresh (non dusty!) air :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    Needed to rest yesterday, after all that cleaning and walking :) still doing little things, though not huge amounts.

Spending diary on here doesn't work, though, I need better access than that, so I'll do an Excel document that I don't need to go online for. Thinking of which, purchases today must include a bottle of red wine - there's a new style Games Evening tomorrow! Going to be weird without my friend that died earlier this year, but her daughter will be there for part of it, and that will be weirder still.

For me, though, its a pootling about day, on little projects as I fancy them - lots of things, both practical and digital, are in the middle of the 95% that Cheery mentioned at the top of this page :rotfl: it's going to be a very pick and mix day :D
    Save
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,450
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I use a spending diary to help set a dynamic budget (because rigid budgets don't work for a family)!

I have a tab for each month with the budget categories and a data page where I record the date, category and amount of each spend.

There's then a table on the data page that shows the monthly budget categories and provides an annualised average by combining a lookup (say "lookup 'groceries'"), summing all the results and then dividing by the total number of days in the data set (max date - min date) and multiplying by 30.4167 (to show an average monthly cost). This result then gets fed back into the relevant category on each of the monthly tabs.

Ah, nerd.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Ah, nerd.

I think the multiplying it by 30.4167 gave that away...

Though it should be 30.4375, as you're not taking into account leap years... :p
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    :D:D:D

I'm loving that the "nerd" conversation is happening on KC's thread!

Should have realized that I wasn't the only one who had an all-singing-dancing spreadsheet!

:D:D:D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 5 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,801
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am in awe of Eds spreadsheet. There was a nano second where I wondered about asking for a blank copy to fill in for the Watty household :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,450
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ZTD wrote: »
    I think the multiplying it by 30.4167 gave that away...

Though it should be 30.4375, as you're not taking into account leap years... :p

Awesome, an incremental improvement :T
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    Brilliant conversation :T:T:T

Though I confess the detailed para on spreadsheets brought about a sudden brain fog :o I'd love to be that sort of nerd, I really would, though I'm a nerd in other ways, I don't do that ... I'll have to break it down much more simply:
    - council tax and other bills - web, fuel, water, insurance
    - food and cleaning goods
    - everyday spending money (local train travel, meeting subscriptions, birthday cards etc).
    - irregulars - travel to Merseyside, Xmas and birthdays, house maintenance if I can keep it low.

That description definitely qualifies as pootling, compared to the beauty of those spreadsheets :eek:

French mortgage payments will be extra - only two years left to go!
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,608
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Oh dear, I peeked in earlier and got scared by all this spreadsheet talk :o :eek: :o I do love a nice spreadsheet :D but I'm not very good at the *numbers* side of things :o I use them a lot in work for keeping track of things, mostly because I can turn the lines pretty colours :o :rotfl:

Good to keep track though :D and I do love reading how people are keeping track :j And have you really only got two years left on the French mortgage?? :j :j :j
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    Oh dear, I peeked in earlier and got scared by all this spreadsheet talk :o :eek: :o I do love a nice spreadsheet :D but I'm not very good at the *numbers* side of things :o I use them a lot in work for keeping track of things, mostly because I can turn the lines pretty colours :o :rotfl:
    You have very pretty posts on here, Cheery :rotfl: and you do YNAB - you're doing great! I've transferred the spending diary posts on here to a spreadsheet, a very simple spreadsheet :rotfl: so I'll see how that goes. Analysing fortnightly, maybe?
    Good to keep track though :D and I do love reading how people are keeping track :j
    Me too ... having more coming in would help, of course :D but there you go.
    And have you really only got two years left on the French mortgage?? :j :j :j
    Weird, isn't it! Once the mortgage is paid off, E657 a month, at least it will be more or less self financing until I can sell it (accountant, tax, maintenance, all that stuff should be covered by the little rental income).

Cheery, I loved your aquarium visit on your thread - I remember doing one of those when my youngest nephew was about 8, we had a great time. They are expensive, though :eek:

I wish I could say the sale will happen in "X" year, but property aimed at foreigners in France is in trouble, there's no doubt of it - and my sister's sale has just fallen through too :(

Today - I definitely need a nap today, difficult overnight again with the radio going next door. I think it will be worth using savings to get sound insulation on the party wall, there's no point just letting this continue, and I can be honest when it comes to selling the thing.

Otherwise - I've been transferring notes from my phone to the right bit of the computer folders, client notes, books, to-do lists, all sorts. So I need to make sure I get some time outside today, which will have to be weeding in the morning, I think, then the nap, then ... the Games Evening, leaving the house at 7pm, weird for me :o

Have a good day all :)
    Save
    Save
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business