PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New Year, New Plans and Hopes

Comments

• Right Mine will be based on not wasting time. So no vegging out in frount of the tele.
    1. Keep the Garden neat try to grow more veg.
    2 Knit up all the wool I have - No buying more wool.
    3 Finish off all projects that I have started.
    4 Continue to keep the clutter down.
    5 Use the GYM more or in Summer WALK more.
    If possible arrange swimming lessons.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Evening
    I've had some time to ponder and I've come to the conclusion that there are too many things I want to do. So I have pared my list down somewhat.
    Stop hoarding food, tins mainly. To this end I shall check cupboards/fridge /freezer before I go shopping. Also make a list and stick to it, that way I can get a grip on my spending too. I sometimes go out for bread and milk and come back having spent £40 on more food :eek:.
    Declutter the house and get DH involved too. He hoards techie/ electrical bits and bobs, just in case :).
    Sort through my craft stuff and make something with it. I must not add to it either as I have a lot.
    Finish off the sewing jobs that are stacking up.
    Actually do the D.I.Y jobs that need doing.
    Turn off the TV if no one is watching, eg if we are both on our laptops or out of the room, as it's always on in the background.
    Try to exercise more by using my x trainer, instead of using it as a clothes horse.
    Spend more time outdoors with my DH, hill walking, photography or even just a picnic. To make the most of the time we have left with each other.
    And lastly for now, stop procrastinating !
    Unfortunately there are quite a few more things I would like to change but will try to accomplish these first.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Severina
    Severina Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2017 at 10:35PM
    I'm a bit of a 'lurker' here, but am very interested in this thread! I too am aiming for a lot less screen time, and hopefully a better social life. I'm going to start decluttering at home and at work. That may eventually lead to decluttering my job! I need to get active and proactive, but it'll have to be babysteps otherwise I'll startle myself back into procrastination!
  • This is very inspiring, both reading other people's aims and also realising that I'm not the only one who has unfinished projects, too much yarn and a hoard of groceries! I don't make resolutions, but next year I'd like to:

Meal plan and cook from scratch more
    Make my own bread
    Continue decluttering with the Marie Kondo method
    Spend more time having fun, and seeing friends
    Do more sewing
    Go for a walk every day
    Plan and take a proper holiday - I've got funds saved up, but I keep putting off making a decision

There's more that I'd like to achieve, but maybe another aim should be 'stop setting unrealistic targets for myself'.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Declutter the house and get DH involved too. He hoards techie/ electrical bits and bobs, just in case :).

My DH does that too, tech bits and pieces and cables galore to God knows what!:mad::D

It must be common with men to store stuff like that.
  • I need to declutter too and also use up my enormous fabric stash, I see a number of charity quilts on the horizon. I have been sleeping in the day bed in my sewing room whilst I have been ill, what OH would do with all my stuff that's in there if anything happened to me, I dread to think.

I have a weakness for crystal, that has to be cured, and what I have, weeded out. I would like to get rid of the dresser in the sitting room. Problem with supported type housing the kitchen is tiny, very few cupboards and badly designed. I need to either sell or give away some of the china in the dresser including the June Bouquet tea service and dessert plates I have. There is quite a bit of glass in there too.

It's time I took stock and got rid,the children do not want it, I either have to sell it or take it to the charity shop, that's where most of the glass came from anyway.
  • I want to understand the techie world more. I struggle with it ALL.
    Took me all afternoon to work out how to take the back off my new phone to put the battery in :D
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 December 2017 at 10:03AM
    from a previous post, I am looking to be getting a new home and that will incur money, so an obvious step for me was the savings thread, which I am finding inspirational

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5763196

I have my aim, now to try and achieve it with the help of my stashes. The actual mechanics of doing it, not just wishing it
  • yesterday was spent decluttering books and five large bags went to the local charity shop I have resumed my decluttering this morning and already have another bagsful to go .Crafting stuff is the next to go as I have boxes of card making bits and stamps etc to go I think it will end up at the local primary school as its too good to bin and I really don't have the time to do it anymore I used to go to a craft card making club but since it closed down about two years ago i have different interests now so I would rather pass it on to somewhere it can be used.
    My eldest DD works in a school so its probably going to go there or to my DGD's school where she is a teacher in year two.
    great to see how many folk have thought about their aims and hopes for the new year and have already made a start.I cook from scratch all the time so thats not a problem After I have sorted and decluttered the paperwork/books etc I am going to start on clothes as I seem to have far more than I will ever wear or need so they too can be found a new home ,probably in a CS.I am a woman on a mission this morning :):):)
  • This morning I have culled 4 glasses and put them ready for the cs. Not a lot but baby steps.
    Thanks Kittie I shall have a look at that savings thread. I just needed a good kick to get me started.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure