PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    I've been collecting cardboard since the summer. It's soon to be the base of my 4th bed on the allotment. I'd actually better hurry up with that job.

We have a generic council recycling wheeled bin and I noticed a few years back that with some careful thinking, even when supermarket shopping I could reduce the contents by nearly a quarter. Recycling is important but I would prefer to not have anything to recycle at all... well except for plastic milk bottles that are being tied to the fence for strawberries and the plastic caps threaded forma fly screen for the greenhouse. :D
  • I have decided to give up sugar in my tea so the last of the bag was used up as a body scrub with a bit of almond oil. I'm a bit worried about getting diabetes as it runs in my family and thought that would an easy way to cut some out.

I'm using Dr Bronner's at the moment and it can be used as a shampoo, shower gel, face wash and you can even use it in the washing machine. I'm going to use up all my shower gels and my bar of soap and just use that instead. You only need a few drops as well so it is supposed to last ages.

That will make life a lot simpler by just having one bottle in the bathroom that does so many things.:)

I gave some of my vitamins to someone who does a lot of exercise. I have been experimenting with different vits and some haven't made any difference at all that I can tell so someone may as well use them.
  • fuddle wrote: »

DH and I have been looking at our bedroom this morning and with a bit of tweaking I can have a small table and wall shelving occupying a slither of wall space. :D I'm very excited. I think it will be a small wooden table from IKEA that I will stain with the left over stuff from when we did the fence post mantle. DH will probably make the shelving out of palette wood, again, stained. ;)

Sounds great fuddle. Not sure our bedroom can be tweaked but worth looking at.

I have just decluttered an hospital appointment but unfortunately my GP sent me to the wrong dept, so another hospital appointment will have to be made, so 2018 won’t get a great start!
    My DH has started decorating the spare bedroom and we have everything bought except the new carpet. Only the rest of the house to be decluttered and decorated!
    It seems never ending - so much stuff to get rid of and the charity shop is a 30 min bus journey so has to be planned. I can never get rid of stuff quick enough. Good job we are lucky enough to have weekly recycling and rubbish collection or it would be even worse.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good holiday period and doesn’t get too stressed out.
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a lot of craft stuff but I do regularly have a cull of stuff I know I won’t use. Lots of friends and family pass their stuff to me too and I hate to say no in case there’s something I can use but a 6 monthly clear through helps.

Both our DDs have now left home and the larger of the two spare rooms will be turned into my workroom after Christmas, I’ve even collected some bits of furniture from freecycle that I can paint up and use for nice storage - I’m not a fan of plastic drawers and boxes so old useful chests of drawers will do nicely.

DH is likely to need major surgery in the new year so simplifying has been on my mind for a while, I need the house and my business running smoothly whilst I help him through recovery.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • K.Mack
    K.Mack Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    fuddle wrote: »
    I've been collecting cardboard since the summer. It's soon to be the base of my 4th bed on the allotment. I'd actually better hurry up with that job.

We have a generic council recycling wheeled bin and I noticed a few years back that with some careful thinking, even when supermarket shopping I could reduce the contents by nearly a quarter. Recycling is important but I would prefer to not have anything to recycle at all... well except for plastic milk bottles that are being tied to the fence for strawberries and the plastic caps threaded forma fly screen for the greenhouse. :D

I am so desperately to have raised beds for flowers and veg.I tried two small ones with flowers and I think ti turned out ok. Trial and error I suppose :o I never thought of using cardboard as a base...how does it help if you don't mind me asking? Is it like a compost?
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Pooky I take it business is good? DH has now got your work on show in his mancave - will FB you the photo!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Also can anyone advise me on unwanted gifts causing clutter? It sounds terribly ungrateful but I always end up both on my birthday and at Christmas getting presents I can't use, things like scented toiletries that affect my eczema or knick naks for my flat or notebooks that I just don't like because I buy my own and have my own preference. I feel awful giving them to charity but I find that after every birthday and Christmas my flat feels cluttered again.
    Some years ago, Mr LW and I had to stop with present-giving, as he was out of work for 11 months, and we were living on the tiny pittance he got as JSA plus my disability money, and we had a mortgage to pay at that time. We very carefully never started doing presents again, even when we could have afforded it.

I'm a great believer in finding out what the person would actually like to receive if I do give a gift; but I appreciate that might not always be easy.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 19 December 2017 at 9:46PM
    K.Mack wrote: »
    I am so desperately to have raised beds for flowers and veg.I tried two small ones with flowers and I think ti turned out ok. Trial and error I suppose :o I never thought of using cardboard as a base...how does it help if you don't mind me asking? Is it like a compost?

I'm just learning really. Originally the cardboard was for weed suppression around my paths but I've had multiple periods of illness and missed the opportunity to dig out and weed my 4th bed. The ground is now frozen more than it's not so I'm hoping that the cardboard will suppress the weeds/grass or at least make them weaker and compost on top will help it decompose.

Have a look at Charles Dowding No Dig Method if you're interested. I've cobbled it from that gardening ethos. HTH
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I have a small, raised deep bed that my DH made for me. I am no gardener anyway, but wanted a space I could manage for salads and greens. I am thrilled with it. At this time of year, it is planted with winter spinach, which keeps going, and winter lettuce which will come up early next spring. I also grow lambs lettuce throughout the winter. Our standard winter salad is thinly sliced cabbage, grated celeriac and / or carrot, some onion and lambs lettuce.
    Next spring, the winter lettuce will come through, I will sow mixed lettuce and plant out one of those 'living salads' from a supermarket. I usually grow some dwarf beans, cherry tomatoes, mange touts and courgettes. Not much compared to serious gardeners, but it's as much as I can manage. I grow herbs in pots.
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi all, this thread it brilliant. Read it from start to finish and ended up in tears....need to get simplicating in 2018. Love and frugality to all!
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport