The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• Alarae wrote: »
    It is such a relief to pay off my last credit card today (even if the payment was over 3k!) as I am officially debt free! In order to pay it all off in a year I resorted to taking on two extra part time jobs around my full time, working 70 hours a week two days a week for 17 hours (excluding travel and work breaks). The third part time job I only lasted in for six months, but I still have the second and I love it! I saved every single penny of my second/third job earnings to pay off bulk amounts off my debt.
    Congratulations. I was inspired to get my second job by reading your diary so you helped me greatly. Thank you. :T:T:T
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 October 2017 at 2:16PM
    The date of your lightbulb moment: When I first joined the DFW forum in Oct 2006.

Debts at their highest: £58,766 between my DH & myself.

Debt-Free Date: Today 31 October 2017 :)

Your one perl of wisdom: It's not a credit card, it's a debt card. Also remember you won't win the lottery, or write a best selling novel, or inherit a fortune, so don't spend as though you might. No one is going to bail you out, you have to do it for yourself.

Links to the MSE guides that helped you: Too many to mention.

Which forum threads helped you: Too many to mention.

If you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867

My DH drew out his pension in July. He only had enough to pay half of our debts. We both offered all of our creditors 50% of what we owed them in Full & Final settlement. Eventually they all said yes and today we paid the last one and are debt free. Had we not done this we would have been in debt until the day we died owing to huge debts and a tiny income.

I want to thank Martin Lewis and everyone on this site and the DFW forum for giving me the knowledge, inspiration and motivation to become debt free.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    The date of your lightbulb moment: When I first joined the DFW forum in Oct 2006.

Debts at their highest: £58,766 between my DH & myself.

Debt-Free Date: Today 31 October 2017 :)

Your one perl of wisdom: It's not a credit card, it's a debt card. Also remember you won't win the lottery, or write a best selling novel, or inherit a fortune, so don't spend as though you might. No one is going to bail you out, you have to do it for yourself.

Links to the MSE guides that helped you: Too many to mention.

Which forum threads helped you: Too many to mention.

If you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867

My DH drew out his pension in July. He only had enough to pay half of our debts. We both offered all of our creditors 50% of what we owed them in Full & Final settlement. Eventually they all said yes and today we paid the last one and are debt free. Had we not done this we would have been in debt until the day we died owing to huge debts and a tiny income.

I want to thank Martin Lewis and everyone on this site and the DFW forum for giving me the knowledge, inspiration and motivation to become debt free.

So so pleased for you :j :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Lightbulb moment: December 2015

Debts at highest: £5629

Debt free date: 31/10/2017

Pearl of wisdom: A bit extreme for most people but if you adore your parents and they happen to have a spare 'granny annex' on the back of their house...move into it.

Which MSE threads helped you: I wouldn't be here without Muppets "Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017". I'm so very grateful to everyone there....especially Muppets!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Blue
  • Kombi82
    Kombi82 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Wow after 3 years in a DMP, 7 years of paying off a student loan, having 2 kids in that time I can finally say I am debt free. Today I made my final payment to Stepchange and last week I made my final payment to my student loan. These have been 2 dead weights round my neck for too long. When I originally entered into my DMP it came back at 6 years so I have scrimped and saved enough to pay it off earlier. Moving jobs to get more money etc to pay it off quicker. The student loan was equally as painful, I moved from PAYE to DD with my loan last year and that was a master stroke as I could see it go down monthly rather than wait until April for an HMRC update.

Lightbulb moment came in 2013 when Debtswere drowning me monthly.

Debt at Highest: including student loan during 2013 was £16318

Pearl of wisdom: tell your partner, I told my wife in 2017 after keeping it secret for 3 years and she was a massive help in getting me to cut down on stuff. Another pearl is creating your own spreadsheet tracking your progress, seeing the end goal is also a big help. I also log into the Stepchange DMP and student loan repayment website more than I should to see the fruit of your labour.
  • T9090H
    T9090H Posts: 37 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi I’m debt free finally!! When do I get my badge?
  • beanielou
    T9090H wrote: »
    Hi I’m debt free finally!! When do I get my badge?

I'm sure MSE badger will be along to give it to you soon.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• womble65
    womble65 Posts: 578 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Oh only just found this (so slow) Been debt free since paying off the mortgage back in 2012. Overpaid for years on MSE advice and saved a fortune. Can I get a badge please!
    :EasterBun Everyone seems normal until you get to know them
  • beanielou
    womble65 wrote: »
    Oh only just found this (so slow) Been debt free since paying off the mortgage back in 2012. Overpaid for years on MSE advice and saved a fortune. Can I get a badge please!

I'm sure badger will be along soon to give you one :)

• Hello everyone. Here to share some good news, and to offer encouragement to anyone following in my footsteps.

I left home in 2001 and started out at university. Inevitably I had a student bank account with a gradually increasing free overdraft facility. This is important because it got me into a bad habit at the very start of my independent life. I pretty much lived in that overdraft for the next ten years, with grants, student loan installments, and part-time work only ever topping up but never killing off the debt. This continued through two years out, a two-year postgraduate degree and a three-year doctorate.

A couple of credit cards followed, never more than two at a time, usually sliding debt from one interest-free account to another as the deals expired.

I met and married an immigrant, and therefore traveled a bit more than my bank manager might have thought sensible. She moved to the UK for study, and we eked out a pretty basic living until my first proper job in 2012.

At that point, I had a lot of unsecured personal debt. Maybe not as much as others who are sharing their stories here, but a four-figure sum that I never quite conquered. Since 2012, with the exception of just one six month period, I've worked full time in salaried employment since then.

With the help of Noddle, I've been able to look back at all my open and closed financial accounts and see exactly how much I paid every month to every account. Some balance transfers skew the total (i.e. I paid a lot onto one credit card using another, so if I total all the monthly payments up it ends up duplicating the cost.

But as of this month, I am proud to say that since 2011 I have successfully cleared £35,604 of unsecured personal debt, including the original sum plus all associated interest.

It's all gone. :beer:

For the last three years, out of a pay cheque of around £1,900-2,200, I must have sent £400-700 a month to pay off my debt. It's been a long tedious slog. But it's over now.

To those who are following in my footsteps, be assured that you can do it. It will be slow, it will be boring but it will happen. There will be no quick rewards or quick wins. But you will get there.

Having the right people around you helps enormously. My wife has been strict and forbidden me from easy lapses of discipline whenever something tempting comes up. You don't have to be in a relationship for this to happen. Trust the many debt support agencies and charities and talk to them. If you have a friend or family member, turn to them for moral support, maybe even financial discipline. Yes, there's a small chance that they will judge you, but more likely than that they will be honored that you have shown your trust in them.

Good luck, and I look forward to reading your story here very soon. :T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure