Ppi claim before 2005

Options

Comments

• sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As you only closed an account in 2015, there's a strong possibility that Halifax may still hold information about these loans. What you can do is contact their PPI helpline and request a search/lodge a complaint, details on the the website. If your other loan was unsecured then you can probably use single, upfront premium as a reason the PPI was mis-sold.
  • ernievan
    Options
    Thanks so much "sun73". The personal loan was secured with PPI. When I stopped working, and wanted to lay a claim, The bank then said, I can not claim, because I do not fit the then criteria to claim for payment from PPI, to settle the loan I had with them. That was one of the reasons my "mental" state also got worse. . I will send in a search/lodge a complain with them
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The bank then said, I can not claim, because I do not fit the then criteria to claim for payment from PPI

Are they saying you do not have to consider your complaint because it is pre-regulation or are they considering your complaint and rejecting it?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ernievan wrote: »
    When I stopped working, and wanted to lay a claim, The bank then said, I can not claim, because I do not fit the then criteria to claim for payment from PPI,
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Are they saying you do not have to consider your complaint because it is pre-regulation or are they considering your complaint and rejecting it?
    You only quoted part of the OP's post, Dunston. I think the remainder clearly shows the OP as trying and failing to make a claim on the insurance, not making a complaint and being rejected.
  • ernievan
    Options
    To clarify. In 2007, when I initially wanted to use the PPI I had taken out with the bank. To repay the loan I had. After losing my work. The bank clerk, or person I spoke to, rejected my then application to make use of the PPI, I took out. To repay the loan. I was told that my criteria to make a claim was not valid.
    Thanks so much for the input.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 10:02PM
    Options
    I was told that my criteria to make a claim was not valid.
    But what "criteria" exactly was not met?

Note that PPI did not pay out immediately on becoming unemployed; there would have been a qualifying period.

Also realise that if you were dismissed from your employment or left voluntarily then the PPI would not pay out either.

If any of the above reasons apply to you then that does not indicate mis-selling, I'm afraid.

Only if the PPI was useless to you because of a pre-existing medical condition or the insurance didn't cover you as self employed etc should you use this as part of any complaint.

You would also be wise not to allege a correlation between the PPI being refused and the onset of any mental illness you may have suffered.
  • ernievan
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I was sold PPI, being self employed, but working for a company. When I lost the work I was doing. , For 2 years after that, I was not employed, and that was the time of going to the bank, to find out about PPI.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I was sold PPI, being self employed, but working for a company. When I lost the work I was doing. , For 2 years after that, I was not employed, and that was the time of going to the bank, to find out about PPI.
    So why did they decline your claim? If you don't tell us this, no one can help you further...
  • ernievan
    Options
    I have no idea why I was turned away. I walked into a local branch of the bank. Spoke to a gentleman, and explained my situation. He wrote everything down. Left me for a while to discus with someone else. Then came back to me, and told me. He is sorry, I do not fit the criteria for making a claim against the PPI Policy I took out. And there is nothing they can do to help me. I have to continue to make payments on the loan I had taken out. More than that, I can not tell you. I did not pursue the matter, as by that time, my mental state was not good. And I left everything as was.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have no idea why I was turned away. I walked into a local branch of the bank. Spoke to a gentleman, and explained my situation. He wrote everything down. Left me for a while to discus with someone else. Then came back to me, and told me. He is sorry, I do not fit the criteria for making a claim against the PPI Policy I took out. And there is nothing they can do to help me. I have to continue to make payments on the loan I had taken out. More than that, I can not tell you. I did not pursue the matter, as by that time, my mental state was not good. And I left everything as was.

You should tell them this just as you have here. PPI claims were not handled by the branch. They were handled by the insurer. It was not the place of the branch staff to decide whether you were eligible or not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure