Sports Direct online returns policy

I was looking for some advice please; I bought an Adidas sports watch from the Sports Direct website for £40 just over a year ago and got the item delivered to my local store for collection.

The watch strap has now broken, given that the strap is a moulded one piece unit around the watch face I can't replace it with another strap rendering the watch useless as I'm unable to wear it.

I've got the original internet receipt when I placed the order, the original packaging and the receipt I was given when I collected the watch in store.

Having checked the Sports Direct website it says that any faulty items bought on line need to be returned by post at the buyers expense (which I find very annoying), given that I bought this item just over a year ago is it even worth sending this item back to Sports Direct to pay for postage on an item that potentially will not be covered by their Returns policy? What are the legalities of making the customer pay to return defective items and also the time period allowed to return said defective items?

Any advice gratefully received,

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How much was it ?

What is the watch model ?
  • inglorius
    inglorius Posts: 158 Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    How much was it ?

What is the watch model ?

Adidas Uraha watch £40
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If they agree it's faulty then they need to cover the reasonable returns charges.
    You might need to fight them on this though knowing Sports direct.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    inglorius wrote: »
    Having checked the Sports Direct website it says that any faulty items bought on line need to be returned by post at the buyers expense (which I find very annoying), given that I bought this item just over a year ago is it even worth sending this item back to Sports Direct to pay for postage on an item that potentially will not be covered by their Returns policy?

It's not that easy to find but if you delve into their T&C's, it does state that will pay the return postage for faulty goods
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/customerservices/termsandconditions/wareshop2uktermsandconditions
    Sports Direct will bear the reasonable postage costs of returning the items up to the cost of the standard delivery charge. Sports Direct will not refund any Next Day, Express or other premium component of delivery.

If you have a query about returning goods, please contact customer services
    But from the many SD problems that pop up on this forum, actually getting them to agree that the fault wasn't down to misuse may not be that easy.

If it was me, I would send the watch back by Royal mail signed for which won't be too expensive and hope that the returns agent who processes it was having a good day and agreed that the fault was down to a manufacturing defect.
  • Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have had Faulty Goods before from Sports Direct I emailed them and they sent me a barcode free post which I printed out My refund was also Issued quick
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • inglorius
    I have had Faulty Goods before from Sports Direct I emailed them and they sent me a barcode free post which I printed out My refund was also Issued quick

Do you have the contact e-mail address to hand which you used please?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    inglorius wrote: »
    Do you have the contact e-mail address to hand which you used please?
    There's an email address on their Contact Us webpage.
  • Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    There's an email address on their Contact Us webpage.

Yes this is the way I contacted them I hope you get sorted
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • inglorius
    Yes this is the way I contacted them I hope you get sorted

They've just emailed back to say that as the item was bought just over a year ago they can't help me as their warranties only cover up to 12 months - is there any recourse I have over this?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Consumer Rights Act 2015 allows you claim a remedy (repair, replacement or refund (can be partial to account for usage), choice of remedy is effectively the seller's) up to 6 years from purchase. However as it is beyond 6 months then SD can require you to prove (on the balance of probabilities) that the fault was inherent and not due to misuse, abuse etc. You'd get this proof via an engineer report - you'd have to pay for it but the reasonable cost of a report would be refunded by the seller if it proves your case.

A £40 watch after a just over a year I'd say was probably worth £25 refund at best.

Your 1st approach should be to reply to SD and say you're claiming under your legal rights (CRA 2015) not under any warranty, and see where they go from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure