Cats moving to Retirement Village

Robin9
Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
I am looking to moving to a retirement village where pets are welcomed and want to take my two cats with me.

Both are used to the outdoor life. Tasha is a 11 yo female and now summer is coming I shall probably only see her at breakfast and tea. She loves sitting on shed roofs and fences. Bob is 4 yo male and spends more time in doors. Neither use a litter tray and since I've had them not been to a cattery.

Has anyone any experience of moving cats to this sort of environment where I might be living on the 4th floor?
Never pay on an estimated bill

Comments

• arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't think if they're used to being outdoor cats, at that age, without any success with litter trays, that they would be very happy being confined on the fourth floor
  • I think you'd probably need ground floor, to be honest.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    When I got my cat, she was sold to me as "an outdoor cat, won't be any trouble"... She had never seen a litter tray before she came here.

The first thing I did was to put a tray of litter down, and she knew instantly what it was for. As for going outside, I can count on one finger how many times she has gone outside to roam in the last four years - She will poke her head out of the door and sniff the air, but rarely goes more than a few yards.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Also, though pets are welcome, will other residents be happy about toileting in 'their ' area ?

You can walk a dog and clean up after it, but a cat is more independent and difficult to 'control'.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    cats can adapt, every cat I have got from cats protection I have been told, they must be an indoor cat even thought the charity doesn't always have the history of what type of cat there were previously.

Can you try keeping your cats indoors now to see how they adapt to it, then when you move you wont have the added stress converting them to indoor cats as well as the move.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    cats can adapt, every cat I have got from cats protection I have been told, they must be an indoor cat even thought the charity doesn't always have the history of what type of cat there were previously.

Can you try keeping your cats indoors now to see how they adapt to it, then when you move you wont have the added stress converting them to indoor cats as well as the move.

I'm not looking to keep them as "indoor" cats - I think that would be stressful for them.

I've kept many cats over the years - re-homed and rescued from Cats Protection and moved house with them, used to take one with me to stay with my mum and dad and found them all very adaptable and learn very quickly how to get around their new environment. Tasha was 2 when she came to me having had two litters in the wild - kept her inside for a few days but when given the opportunity to go up her nose went up smelling fresh air out she went. Bob was 6 months and soon into everything.

Did anyone read "A Street Cat named Bob" - he adopted James who lived on the 5th floor ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport