PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Afternoon all :D

Have sorted out the vague meal plan for the month.. nice n easy as we have various faves that have to appear every week :p -plus I allow for variations, so the pasta bake could have anything in it -all depending on what needs using ;)
    • corned beef hash n dumplings X 4 that then becomes
    • cornedbeef hash pie X 4 ;)
    • pasta bakes X 4
    • roast chicken dinner X 4
    • chinese pork wraps with stirfry n noodles X 2
    • gyros wraps with salad n HM coleslaw X2
    • potato and onion layer X 4
    • thai salmon n noodles X 1
    • salmon fishcakes, wedges and peasX 1
    • tuna steak with stirfry + noodles X 1
    • fish pie with veg X 1
    • chicken + leek suet puddings with veggies X 1
    • turkey + ham Pie X 1
    Hubbies lunches will be Hm bread and flasks of soups -its cold now so it keeps him toasty :-
    • Chicken n sweetcorn -using the carcass every weekend
    • cream of tomato - using some of the roast toms from the freezer
    • cream of veg n lentil -according to what veg im preparing
    • chill + bean
    • cream of leek n potato
    • cauliflower cheese
    • cream of mushroom
    So thats me sorted for the month -and I should only be needing fresh yeast, milk and some veggies (towards the end of the month) :j
    Im going to try and spend as little as possible -but I may use some of my €100 to buy more stuff for the store for winter -which is filling up rather nicely :j
    right i had better get off and update the list
    have a great evening everyone and good luck with this month :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Hi Everyone!!
    Its so exciting when a new month starts isn't it. Hope everyone has a brilliant month.
    Thanks for the new thread and for adding our budget to the list.
    Everyone is getting so organised, especially those thinking about Christmas!!
    Rosieben-Hope you get the freezer sorted soon.
    Bullet, Mrs M and Welshwoofs-Great meal plans...I also have sorted out October but I know it will change according to offers and whoopsies that surprise us..
    Bigbird-Spicy carrot and tomato soup sounds lovely..care to share the recipe??
    Good luck all!
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • Afternoon!
    I did a post yesterday on the Sept thread that disappeared - it was about my Oct plans so I suppose it serves me right!!!

Anyway, my oct budget has already been eaten into with a Mr T shop for essentials for the week (or so I thought!) that came to £39.19:eek:

There are lots of new things that I haven't seen before in my Mr T's - most of them are in the discounter range aimed to counteract Aldi - soem seemed OK but I'm not an Aldi regular so I'm not sure how they comapre pricewise or what the quality is like. I did buy the Daisy washing up liquid 69p and bleach 49p and the discounter range squash 89p- all seem fine to me. Also got the fresh pesto 75p but haven't tried that yet.

We're both off to the US next Sunday for the best part of a week (working unfortunately) and I've placed an order for a Mr S delivery for the day we get back (using a £15 off £60 voucher) that comes to about £51 that will hopefully last us the best part of 2 weeks for general stuff and the rest of the month for meat. We'll see......

Anyway off to do the menu plan for the week using up the fresh stuff before the trip.I expect we'll need more milk during the week but we should be OK for everything else.

Happy budgeting!
  • Good evening!

I started my October grocery challenge on the 25th September and have been so looking forward to starting a new challenge. Have not spent any grocery money so far this month, so that's always a good start. My month runs until 23rd October.

Good luck everyone and remember you only fail if you stop trying.

Cheers
    Casper
    x x x
    LBM Feb 09[STRIKE] £64 427.32[/STRIKE] £13 700.59! Sub £15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec £40.00 SSF £00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) £13.59 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
  • rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My month starts tomorrow - payday :T
    I'm hoping to last out until next week for a shop apart from milk which I'm nearly out of due to the grandkids being here all weekend:eek:
    My freezer is full but I need to run it down for defrosting so we're having freezer meals this week.
    No need to worry about puds for the month having spent Saturday blanching/stewing/freezing 2 carrier bags of apples donated by neighbouring allotmenteers :T I also made a tin full of Twinks hobnobs and some courgette muffins for the cake tin.
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    My month will start tomorrow.

Going to bake some peanut butter cookies and millie cookies this week.. all depending on how im feeling cause im feeling down at mo once again
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    Please put me down for £190 in October. My challenge runs from the 1st - 31st.

Thank you

Egon
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening All

this is a nice shiny new thread isnt it ..I have noy updated my siggie until now as I have been a bit busy,,,what with rellies and one thing and another,,
    I just hope my £200 this month lasts as I think it might.. I have just picked all my christmas tree decorations from the garden. and once they are dried and painted they will look nice ,,this is me being a Money Saver .but they do look nice on the tree,, last years went mouldy in the summer as I did not varnish or paint them

have not made any meal plans like I see some of you have but I know I should

see you next week probably

KAAT xx
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I am not going to declare until Tuesday but I have decided to set myself a target of £325 for October please Mrs M. (I did post this in the September thread but have put the figures in again in case you miss it!) My new month will run from 1st to 28th October.

Well done everyone and thanks for your inspiration.

Moniker
  • I am going to use October to have a go at making pickle as well. As I have never made pickle before, it could prove interesting.
    I need to declare my September totals on Tuesday as well, since Wednesday is the best day to go shopping for the October money. I shall get the meat and veg just for the week and all the store cupboard stuff for the month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure