WARNING: taxicode.com 5POUNDSOFF

Be warned:

When you use the 5POUNDSOFF voucher at taxicode.com, you're not just getting a £5 discount off your taxi booking.

Using the 5POUNDSOFF voucher actually signs you up to a "rewards scheme" where they debit £25 from your payment card every 6 months in exchange for a bunch of vouchers, good for future bookings.

Lots of people are complaining about this scam on trustpilot.

If you've fallen for it, you probably have a right to cancel (and get a refund) under Regulation 31 of the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013:

If the trader (Taxicode) doesn't provide you with the salient details of the contract in a clear and comprehensible manner on a "durable medium" (i.e. on paper or an email), your right to cancel (normally 14 days) is extended by another 12 months.

I am currently trying to get a refund; I will let you know how I go.

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 June 2017 at 9:13AM
    The terms and conditions do state it auto renews.
    https://www.taxicode.com/rewards/
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    To add to hollyday's post....

I just put in the code and it was accepted. It shows the following message:
    website wrote:
    5POUNDSOFF voucher is applied
    Voucher value is £5
    Voucher is valid for today only
    Remove Voucher
    Great! You are joining rewards. For a full list of benefits click here. Membership is £25 for 6 months.
    Vouchers can be used only with a credit/debit card. To pay via Paypal, you need to remove this voucher.
    :o
  • I made my booking about a month ago. I don't remember seeing anything on the booking form about signing up to a rewards scheme, let alone paying a £25 subscription fee. I've checked all the emails I received from Taxicode and none of them mention a subscription fee either.

This is the email I received to notify me I had been signed up to the rewards scheme. I didn't remember signing up for this, but it didn't mention anything about a subscription fee so I ignored it:
    Date: 24 May 2017 at 21:16:38 GMT+1
    To: ************@gmail.com
    Subject: Reward Vouchers Subscription
    Reply-To: no-reply@web3r.co.uk

Taxicode - National Taxi Booking Service
    Hello,

Thank you for subscribing to the Taxicode Rewards Service. You can find your money off vouchers below.

Vouchers Value Min Booking Value
    *********** £2.00 £10.00
    *********** £5.00 £25.00
    *********** £10.00 £100.00
    *********** £20.00 £150.00
    Please note that the vouchers will be valid for use from tomorrow.

The vouchers are valid until 24-05-2018.

Unit 1, 27/29 Riverside House, Vauxhall Grove, London, SW8 1SY
    Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions
    Facebook Twitter Google+

They appear to have changed their website and booking process since, probably in response to all the 1* reviews on trustpilot, and complaints to National Trading Standards.

They definitely didn't comply with the Consumer Contract Regulations before, and I'd still question whether they are compliant now - even if they do comply with the regulations, they are clearly not acting in the spirit of the regulations.

Particularly:
    Requirements for distance contracts concluded by electronic means
    14.—(1) This regulation applies where a distance contract is concluded by electronic means.
    (2) If the contract places the consumer under an obligation to pay, the trader must make the consumer aware in a clear and prominent manner, and directly before the consumer places the order, of the information listed in paragraphs (a), (f), (g), (h), (s) and (t) of Schedule 2.
    (3) The trader must ensure that the consumer, when placing the order, explicitly acknowledges that the order implies an obligation to pay.
    (4) If placing an order entails activating a button or a similar function, the trader must ensure that the button or similar function is labelled in an easily legible manner only with the words ‘order with obligation to pay’ or a corresponding unambiguous formulation indicating that placing the order entails an obligation to pay the trader.
    (5) If the trader has not complied with paragraphs (3) and (4), the consumer is not bound by the contract or order.
    (6) The trader must ensure that any trading website through which the contract is concluded indicates clearly and legibly, at the latest at the beginning of the ordering process, whether any delivery restrictions apply and which means of payment are accepted.

and
    Confirmation of distance contracts
    16.—(1) In the case of a distance contract the trader must give the consumer confirmation of the contract on a durable medium.
    (2) The confirmation must include all the information referred to in Schedule 2 unless the trader has already provided that information to the consumer on a durable medium prior to the conclusion of the distance contract.
    (3) If the contract is for the supply of digital content not on a tangible medium and the consumer has given the consent and acknowledgment referred to in regulation 37(1)(a) and (b), the confirmation must include confirmation of the consent and acknowledgement.
    (4) The confirmation must be provided within a reasonable time after the conclusion of the contract, but in any event—
    (a)not later than the time of delivery of any goods supplied under the contract, and
    (b)before performance begins of any service supplied under the contract.
    (5) For the purposes of paragraph (4), the confirmation is treated as provided as soon as the trader has sent it or done what is necessary to make it available to the consumer.

Where "durable medium" generally means on paper or in an email.
  • RLL
    RLL Posts: 2 Newbie
    I used the so called £5 discount code but did not use company in the end as they messed me around and left me high and dry. However I discovered they charged me £25, which I have yet to have refunded.

I have complained and asked for a refund as I did not use the service and will not in future. It seems this company have a set response to all the complaints from customers relating to this fee, they direct you to their T&C's. This is absolutely ridiculous as at no point in the booking process are you made aware of any subscription fee or are you requested to agree to pay £25.00. You receive no receipt or confirmation they have taken the fee until you receive your statement.

It is clear this is an issue due to the many many complaints on various forums, So why are this company allowed to continue to get away with it?

If TaxiCode were an honorouble customer focused company who gave a dam about their customer base they would have ensured their website was transparent and showed you any additional charges. But Its a scam and they clearly make allot of money out of misleading people.

BEWARE, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 July 2017 at 3:11PM
    RLL wrote: »
    It is clear this is an issue due to the many many complaints on various forums, So why are this company allowed to continue to get away with it?

I'll answer that question if I may.
    They'll get away with it as long as people allow them to.

Apart from ranting on forums, have you done anything else?
    Have you notified Trading Standards?
    Have you notified your card issuer about this allegedly fraudulent transaction?
    Have you notified Action Fraud?
    Have you considered court action to recover your money?

Of course, before doing any of those things it is important that you are sure that you didn't receive a message like the one described in post#3.

Oh... and before you ask the question... no I do not work for this company. ;)
  • RLL
    RLL Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi,

Thank you for your response. I will indeed contact trading standards.

I did not receive any form of payment confirmation other than for the taxi fare which they had to refund due to other issues. (but that's a whole other story).

I have gone back to the company today and reiterated that I did not use their service and do not intend to in future and asked for refund of the subscription. I also asked for company specific details. In response I received exactly the same generic email word for word. They clearly see the words £25 and refund and a one click button sends the same email to everyone no matter what the individual circumstances.

it makes my blood boil.
  • I've just checked my credit card statement and found the same charge, I have raised a complaint with the company via email and asked for a refund, please note that if your set an account up with them and click on settings there is an option to turn off this subscription feature however your original £5.00 voucher is deducted as well as another £10 as I read it so your journey has cost you an additional £15.00 !!
  • topsales
    topsales Posts: 351 Forumite
    I too have had this issue. So annoyed especially as the original taxi booked was cancelled by the taxi company. I think it is a scam personally but the company don't seem to think so. I have now cancelled but am 25.00 lighter!
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    You state that when you made the booking a month ago there was no information regarding a rewards
    scheme. Also you state that they have changed their website in response to the negative criticism on Trustpilot and the complaints to National Trading Standards. Just in case you would take this case further, it would help if you have evidence. Like a cached version of the website or an archived version. Someone who has made a complaint might have a screenshot. That possibility could not be ruled out. Apart from this, it's good that you inform people about this so people don't fall into the trap that you and others have fallen into.
  • DO NOT USE !!! This company takes your money even if you try to cancel!! They took £275 from us and we cancelled 3 weeks in advance. We would have cancelled a month earlier but they don't answer their phone. We are still fighting to get our money back. READ their terms & conditions ,clause 7 . They are not a taxi firm they are brokers who farm out the work to legitimate taxi firms. We even had the actual taxi driver phone us to apologise for Taxicode and their underhand practises.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure