Carers running up massive bills using Mum's phone to log in!

Comments

• trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh my it was only a suggestion, if your mum's phoning you it may save her money as well.

You have completely seen the wrong view point here. Firstly the other person is completely correct, and does not have to change the phone package to suit the carers. Secondly, even the manual clearly states not to use the clients phone, except in an emergency.

I would do two things. As stated above, have a conversation with the allocated social worker regarding the "abuse" of your mothers phone.

Secondly, I would go look through every bill, and add up the costs of the calls in total. I would then make a formal complaint under the councils complaints procedure, informing them you would like every penny paid back in full.

This is outrageous behavior.

Dont change your behavior to accommodate the carers, put a stop to this at once, please let us know how you get on??
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 October 2016 at 12:53AM
    Well if she's phoning her daughter it might save her money, that's what I said...yes. Never said she had to change phone package, just stated my experience.

Maybe the word suggestion helps.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Write to the agency and the council to formally complain.

The council will give you the contact details for the agency.

Put it all in writing, and formalise it.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well if she's phoning her daughter it might save her money, that's what I said...yes. Never said she had to change phone package, just stated my experience.

Maybe the word suggestion helps.

An extra £6 per month does not save money.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    On many phones you can block numbers, I would officially complain and I would block the login number the carers are using. You can also divert, so you could set the phone up so that when they call the login in number it diverts to your phone and you can make a quick enquiry as to why they are using a phone and spending another persons money without permission.

Really its barely any differen to stealing from her purse.
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    I felt compelled to make a comment despite the flack I'll get.

This is stealing and a real abuse of your mum's trust, are you sure her other 'stuff' is OK?

Get all outgoing numbers blocked except yours, her GP and assorted medical professionals and the emergency services.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I self fund care but use the same agency as the council. They did the exact same thing and in the end I paid their fee minus the cost of the calls for the previous month. That sharpened their attention and suddenly everyone brought their own phone out to check in.

I can probably explain the longer calls too. A few times while logging in the person on the other side would be offering extra shifts so the cared would get out the diary and faff about trying to work out what overtime she wanted. Another time the call lasted the same length as the appointment (half an hour) she was discussing what happened at the last persons house. Again, didn't pay that session and sent in the bill to prove no care was taking place as carer was on the phone.

I notice you say some calls are 10 minutes long, this wasn't during one of the councils legendary 15 minute visits was it?

Complain and keep a close eye on it. Some carers are fantastic but there are others who will do the bare minimum and if you give an inch they will take a mile.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd probably be even more concerned about 10 minutes on the phone out of what is presumably a fairly short care slot than the cost of the calls.

In a way, I'd be inclined to find a low cost way of accommodating the calls to keep an eye on that aspect.

PS: OP, I totally agree they shouldn't be using her phone and she shouldn't have to pay BUT still think the 10 minutes lost care (assuming they don't stay longer to make up) is the bigger thing to my mind.

Or of course ask mum if she is able to keep track.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Diary wrote: »

Get all outgoing numbers blocked except yours, her GP and assorted medical professionals and the emergency services.

So mum can't call any friends or make any other calls she might suddenly decide she wants to make? That solution sounds worse than the problem to me.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can only say it bad that the carers use your mum's phone to log in, but are you certain they have been told not to use customers phone?
    The idea is to log in when you get to work so you are paid properly. This means if you use your mobile, you could be anywhere. I don't do caring but I have had jobs where I had to phone log in.

I was explicitly told to use customer's phone only and never a mobile. In fact if we used our mobile to log in we would lose pay as they could not be certain we were in fact at work. These were businesses so maybe they wouldn't notice a few quid extra phone bill.
    Anyways I always thought it was a ruse to get more money out of the company by the back door sort of. Not a hugely expensive call but even say 50p times by all the staff at every contract would soon add up to quite a sum.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family