Mastercard vs Visa vs Amex for using abroad - which wins?

Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• 1trainer1
    1trainer1 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I use Amex whenever i pay for my hotels abroad as they for me always offer competitive rates.

I mainly use them for Asia and the middle east and have never had a problem and to me their conversion has always worked in my favour
    Blessed on 18th February 2014 at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    I carry a selection pack - I've been to cashpoints that will only accept one or another, and frankly having choices reduces risk
  • 1trainer1 wrote: »
    I use Amex whenever i pay for my hotels abroad as they for me always offer competitive rates.

I mainly use them for Asia and the middle east and have never had a problem and to me their conversion has always worked in my favour

Surely a MasterCard that doesn't charge an FX fee would be better by over 3.5% compared to your AMEX.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    paddyrg wrote: »
    I carry a selection pack - I've been to cashpoints that will only accept one or another, and frankly having choices reduces risk

Same here. I usually travel with my wife who also has a selection pack of her own. All separate accounts so that the loss or blocking of one doesn't affect the others.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Surely a MasterCard that doesn't charge an FX fee would be better by over 3.5% compared to your AMEX.
    Of course it would, Visa too for that matter if very slightly less competitive.

And of course Visa and MC are far more widely accepted than AmEx.

AmEx conversions are a black art. Currencies seem to be converted into/out of USD for reasons that evade me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure