Orlando/Disneyworld Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• smallpo
    smallpo Posts: 32 Forumite
    Hi. I am looking to stay in one of these disney hotels to get the free dining plan and am having trouble deciding.

At PO I think I would pick the riverside over the french quarter - is the r/s the newer area? CB looks very nice, but I have heard some people say your room can be very far from the main area. I'm not worried about the walk, but if we are a long way from the bus stop I am worried about wasting vacation time.

Has anyone been and can you tell me why you would choose one over the other to help me?

Thank you so much :D
  • fluff73
    fluff73 Posts: 38 Forumite
    hello new poster but loooooooooong time lurker.

After starting last year with over 20k debt we have just reduced it to 6k (thanks to everyone on this website who have frankly changed our lives) - however Mrs Fluffs father died in April (dont be sad - there were real issues) and we have just inherited some money that makes us debt free and have enough enough for some savings and a holiday!

Sooooooo.... We just booked 2 weeks in Orlando in feb 2010 through travelcitydirect. Virgin Flights, 3 bed villa (20 mins from disney), and a larger than normal car for £2484 - virgin holidays were quoting well over 3k for the same holiday.

Thought you may like to know
  • SmileyS_2
    SmileyS_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Another quick question i want to hire a car at Orlando airport but I don't have a credit card will this be a problem
    cheers
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SmileyS wrote: »
    Another quick question i want to hire a car at Orlando airport but I don't have a credit card will this be a problem
    cheers

Yes.

Across the world car companies insist on a credit card being offered, so they can claim their full money back if you prang the car or dirve off into the sunset never to be seen again.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • hi everyone, I'm in the process of trying to book a family hol, 2 kids, 2 adults, in April 2010, going for 13 nights....I'm trying to get my head around the park tickets. as firsttimers, we think we'll probably do disney A LOT, and a one day trip to the space centre - is there anything else I'd be mad to miss? We completely appreciate that it is impossible to see it all..in fact our kids are 5 and 2 so we just want to do stuff that suits them now - e.g. save something like universal for when they're older and we perhaps return in future...so am i best doing one of the walt disney 5 or 7 day passes? these seem to be about £240 an adult?

and here is the thing no one has managed to so far answer. we're away for 13 nights - DD turns 3 on the 10th day of the holiday - therefore needing a ticket from that point i believe...now we intend on taking advantage whilst she's cheap and doing most the expensive stuff before her birthday....but do they even check the age of a child formally or just take what you say at face value..so could she be a pretend 2 the whole time?
    .and the snag is, we'd actually quite like her to spend her birthday at Disney..so when she's walking around with her I AM 3 badge on it'll be a tad obvious i feel! :) so do we buy her a single day ticket? and how much is that anyway?

any advice will be very gladly receieved!!! complete disney novice!
    thanks in advance
    deeley xx
    2012 - DFW! taking positive steps forward, and it's only [STRIKE]January![/STRIKE] February :T

Feb nsd: 6/6 :T
    £2 pot challenge: 5/50 :)where are they all?
    VSP member#163 VSP £18.30/wk3
  • blackpongo1
    blackpongo1 Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    just back and have got the bug trying to book next yr 2/10/10 travel city direct have a hol for £2660 flying with virgin so checked with virgin hols and the same hol is £2800 is travel city direct safe to bk with or should i bk virgin is there any advantage /disadvantage with either all advice greatly appreicated

TIA Blackpongo
  • Lynneth
    Lynneth Posts: 63 Forumite
    Hi All

Has anyone flown Gatwick to Sanford with Thomas Cook recently? Just wondering what the flight/service/food/entertainment, etc was like. Would appreciate any feedback :D

:j:j:jonly 24 days to go :j:j:j
  • eripmav
    eripmav Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Post
    smallpo wrote: »
    Hi. I am looking to stay in one of these disney hotels to get the free dining plan and am having trouble deciding.

At PO I think I would pick the riverside over the french quarter - is the r/s the newer area? CB looks very nice, but I have heard some people say your room can be very far from the main area. I'm not worried about the walk, but if we are a long way from the bus stop I am worried about wasting vacation time.

Has anyone been and can you tell me why you would choose one over the other to help me?

Thank you so much :D

PO French Quarter is relatively small in comparison to other resorts and if you stay there, you won't find it that much of a walk to the food court and facilities:)
    Bankrupt 28/07/08!
  • Lynneth wrote: »
    Hi All

Has anyone flown Gatwick to Sanford with Thomas Cook recently? Just wondering what the flight/service/food/entertainment, etc was like. Would appreciate any feedback :D

:j:j:jonly 24 days to go :j:j:j
    I've just flown thomas cook from belfast to orlando economy class had to buy head phones for the movies etc price £2.75 each Sm coke 90p watched slumdog going milk and confessions of shopaholic coming back 2 melas going and a snack coming back dinner and breakfast coming back .
    be careful all luggage is weighed including hand luggage xcess luggage is charged at $22 per kilo hope this helps
  • maemaesmummy
    maemaesmummy Posts: 2,474 Forumite
    hi everyone, I'm in the process of trying to book a family hol, 2 kids, 2 adults, in April 2010, going for 13 nights....I'm trying to get my head around the park tickets. as firsttimers, we think we'll probably do disney A LOT, and a one day trip to the space centre - is there anything else I'd be mad to miss? We completely appreciate that it is impossible to see it all..in fact our kids are 5 and 2 so we just want to do stuff that suits them now - e.g. save something like universal for when they're older and we perhaps return in future...so am i best doing one of the walt disney 5 or 7 day passes? these seem to be about £240 an adult?

and here is the thing no one has managed to so far answer. we're away for 13 nights - DD turns 3 on the 10th day of the holiday - therefore needing a ticket from that point i believe...now we intend on taking advantage whilst she's cheap and doing most the expensive stuff before her birthday....but do they even check the age of a child formally or just take what you say at face value..so could she be a pretend 2 the whole time?
    .and the snag is, we'd actually quite like her to spend her birthday at Disney..so when she's walking around with her I AM 3 badge on it'll be a tad obvious i feel! :) so do we buy her a single day ticket? and how much is that anyway?

any advice will be very gladly receieved!!! complete disney novice!
    thanks in advance
    deeley xx

I think that Disney base the age at the start of your trip so if your 1st visit to DW the child is 2 then they would be free for the duration of your tickets IYSWIM... alternatively if you take her passport to DW on her birthday they are doing free entry this year... or if they already have a ticket you can pick from a selection of other gifts like a FP for your group or a birthday gift card up to the value of park entry.

sorry just seen 2010 so think the birthday offer is only running this year
    Bit of a Florida Fan :j
    8/12/08 Highlands Reserve, 3/12/09 Calaby Parc
    18/8/10 Villa Upper Class 19/12/10 Villa Upper Class
    10/08/11 C P Tower Lake 10/12/11 C P Tower Lake
    28/4/12 Emerald Island 22/7/12 Florida for 6 weeks
    13/12/12 4 weeks C P Tower Lake 13/2 Prize win Orlando
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing