memory foam matresses

Options

Comments

• andythejesse
    Options
    I'd have to agree with the previous guys re the heat factor... We have a silent night spung matress with memory foam on top. It is very comfy but also very warm. Also despite the fact our matress was expensive after a couple of years of use it does not retain its shape... ie its slightly raised in the center.

In hindsight I think i'd just go for a decent sprung mattress.
  • fredy34
    fredy34 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    Ive borrowed a single mattress from my folks for a few days (the had it on a guest bed) i am sleeping better but im sweating to death in the middle of the night.

Are some cooler than others?
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wheres Tim Deegans post gone?
  • Greentea
    Greentea Posts: 495 Forumite
    Options
    fredy34 wrote: »
    Ive borrowed a single mattress from my folks for a few days (the had it on a guest bed) i am sleeping better but im sweating to death in the middle of the night.

Are some cooler than others?

You can get memory foam mattresses with the fabric cover containing "Coolmax" which is designed to alleviate the problem of feeling too warm. Coolmax is used in lots of outdoor clothing too.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    The biggest piece of advice I remember (which we got wrong!) was to buy a mattress with springs underneath the memory foam. There was some kind of formula for how deep the foam should be (around six ins if I remember right?).

The optimum depth for the memory foam is actually 2" to 2.5". Less than that and it won't be enough to contour to your body, but more than that and it will engulf you making you too hot.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Also try Starplan .. I am not convinced by the memory foam stuff yet and reckon that you still need a good pocket spring mattress underneath it (no sense in having memory foam if the underlying mattress is rubbish)

Ivan

Very true about the underlying mattress.

Some people buy toppers to try and revive an old worn out mattress, but this is a false economy for the reasons you said Ivan.

The best type of memory foam mattress is pocket sprung and memory foam. I don't know what the prices are like in Northern Ireland, but I just got a quote to ship a king size pocket sprung/memory foam mattress to Northern Ireland, and it came to £75. So if there are very expensive in NI, then it may be possible to still make a saving by buying from sellers in England (who tend to be cheaper). Otherwise keep searching for a cheap local store.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Wheres Tim Deegans post gone?

I'm here :j
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Greentea wrote: »
    You can get memory foam mattresses with the fabric cover containing "Coolmax" which is designed to alleviate the problem of feeling too warm. Coolmax is used in lots of outdoor clothing too.

I was actually discussing the merits of Coolmax with one of our suppliers the other day. He said that he had visited the Dupont factory in Turkey where they make it. He was actually considering using the latest generation of Coolmax, which is supposed to be an improvement on the existing product. However after looking into it he realised that as far as mattresses go it is yet another Gimmick. It will disperse body heat for a while, but then will just warm up to the same temperature as your mattress would without Coolmax.

Coolmax does however work in outdoor clothing in the same way that sweating helps us to disperse body heat. The trouble is we don't tend to have wind blowing around under our quilts to disperse the heat (unless we have been on the baked beans).
  • Norman001
    Options
    I recently purchased a Royale memory foam mattress from www.beds.ie. It arrived rolled up in a box with the air taken out (no big deal). After being taken out of the box it rebuilt itself in no time and is the most comfortable mattress I ever slept on. Have to say havn't had a problem with heat coming from it.

• Milko
    Milko Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too can vouch for Starplan ... leave it til after Xmas & get it in the sale from memory ours was £999 down to £599 plus free matress protector & pillows (last year)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure