PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheaper cuts of meat

1242526272830»

Comments

• ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 December 2011 at 6:36PM
    I agree about shopping around for prices butchers and farm shops can easily be comparable against the supermarkets. Especially when you remember to compare like for like. TBH almost accross the boards supermarket meats are as low quality as they can get away with half the time pumped up with water so they shrink back to nothing. Makes me laugh when they trumpet the fact there "special" beef is hung for 21 days-that should be a min for good beef!

Just for comparison we went last week to our local meat farmshop, where the meat and produce is all their own or from other local farms.Is high quality, free range and high welfare as well as slow matured. They cure their own bacon etc and make lovely enormous high meat content snags mmmm. They also do more gamey stuff like venison, rabbit, duck,pheasant etc etc-locally shot or bred.

We got a 1/2 kg of mince steak, 1/2 kg braising steak, a medium sized FR chicken, 6 massive pork and apple snags (about the same weight as 12 in a pack from the SM), a large ham shank-will just fit the SC and do at least 2-3 meals for 6 of us, 2 lamb chops, 2 steak puddings,1 small porkpie, and 6 slices of thick cut treacle cured bacon. As we have been before it was a case of "call it £27". Tell me which supermarket would sell such good quality meat for so little. More than enough to feed 6 of us easily for say 10 days and probably could stretch to 14 no problem.

Definately have a look around, I know we are lucky in the farmshops we have here, but most people have a decent butcher or supplier who can beat the SM's hands down for quality and price.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• On the rare occassion when needs were desperate and I had to buy cheap mince I would always cover in cold water and bring to the boil for 5 minutes then drain and cook normally.Its a good way to get rid of any high fat content.My late Mum used to do this when meat was on ration in the 1940s as often the mince was quite fatty, but beggers couldn't be choosers in those days you were at the mercy of the butcher and what he could get hold of.No supermarkets in those days ,but if you got your joint from him on a Saturday (never a very big one mind) he often threw in a few sausages to help streeetch it a bit and didn't charge for them
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    I actually prefer the cheaper fatty kinds of mince - those extra lean ones are to my mind rather tasteless and rubbery!
    I just cook the fat out and chuck it all in a sieve then return the mince to the pan for browning!
  • Isn't it water in cheap mince which is a bigger problem then fat. Also my farm shop don't have '20% fat' mince, I was told this is because they mince the meat only, while supermarkets add the fat as a bulker.
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • Evey supermarket have their times to down prices to 10% tesco 7-730pm, sainsbury 430 pm, co-op 4- 5pm just go in to your local store and check , takes time but you will get a win if you watch .
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That's an odd first post, especially on a 2011 thread.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport