Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power

Options

Comments

• roj
    roj Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mr EON energy deal recently came to an end so I applied to switch to Scottish Power through the MSE cheap energy club. A few days later I received a welcome pack from Scottish Power on which my address was printed incorrectly. I rang them to correct this and they accidentally cancelled my account. I then had to be transferred to the sales line where I spent about half an hour on the phone whilst they manually set up the account again. About a week later I had an email requesting my meter readings so I logged into the website and tried to do this. The website allowed me to submit my electricity meter reading but not the gas so I rang them again to do this over the phone. A few days later I logged into the website where I saw that my monthly direct debit had been set as £14. This was wrong as it should have been around £35. I rang to query this and was told that my application to Scottish Power had been rejected by their system and I was still being supplied by EON. They could give no reason for this other than a system error. As a result I asked them to cancel my switch.

The only good thing I would say about Scottish Power is that they were easy to get through to on the phone and all the staff I spoke to were friendly and helpful. I suspect they are experiencing Major IT problems though.

I would like to try to switch to another supplier through the Cheap Energy club but I can't as the website says i currently have a switch in process :think:
  • Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for your post. This confirms my thoughts about Scottish Power. I am going to switch to SSE as it is a bit more expensive than Scottish Power but I am hoping it will be less problematic. Sue
  • Stargirl29
    Stargirl29 Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just found this thread when looking to see if anyone else is having issues with SP. Apparently, it's not just me!

I moved house in November last year - and had no idea who was our supplier, no one seemed to be able to tell me. In the chaos of the move and no letters coming through, I lost track so obviously built up a debt. They eventually sent a *final warning* letter through saying that I needed to phone to be set up or it would be cut off. A bit odd considering it was the first communication from them, but I rang and set it up and explained and it was all polite and courteous.

Fast forward a bit and our DD suddenly increases without, apparently, any warning. I logged on to my account (which was obviously freshly set up previously) and I found out that there had been letters sent out detailing changes etc - but to an address about 200 miles away!! It's not an address I've ever been in, or associated with so I have no idea why it was there and why they were getting my correspondence. This issue was dealt with quickly, but it's very disconcerting thinking that someone else was getting the bills sent to them!

I then get an email one day saying that as I haven't been inputting my meter readings, they have estimated what I use - and changed the DD accordingly. I put them in myself every month without fail, sometimes even more than once a month just to make sure so I was baffled what happened. Apparently it was ANOTHER of their mistakes and it would be rectified. It was, but it was another tally mark of the countless issues I've had.

Finally, I had a DD of £150 which was a struggle and too much, I feel but I wanted to pay off the debt we were building up so was keeping it the same. I get an email on the 24th Oct stating that after calculations, the DD 'would be remaining the same' - except they were upping it for no reason to £241 a month, we weren't using any more gas or electricity than usual, and hadn't had the heating on at all up to that point so I didn't see why they increased it so much. The front of the letter said it wouldn't be taken until 1st December, and when I tried to change it - I couldn't as it was pending. They've taken it today, which will leave us short for the rest of the month. I managed to get online and try to change it but, and this is where it gets borderline illegal, I'm sure, I found out that if I kept paying the amount they put me on, by the annual review next November, I would be £1.2k in CREDIT to them - and the lowest they'd let me go to was £193, which left me £600+ in CREDIT. I tweeted my frustrations, including the graph which showed how massively I would be over-paying them and they replied saying they'll need meter readings to keep on top of it and there's nothing they can do. I managed to get round it by logging back in and changing the DD down to £150 a month by paying £9 as a one off. This would leave me slightly in credit, which seems perfectly acceptable.

I just don't understand how they can get away with charging us that much per month, leaving us that much in credit! I'll be putting in a complaint and hoping they get it sorted - it'll be a struggle this month but hopefully my changing the DD for next month will help, I'll just be looking every week!

As soon as our account is back in credit I'll be switching!
  • luckycat99
    Options
    We have been with them since moving to our new property and have had nothing but problems with them on a diabolical scale. We haven't had one competent or successful interaction with them and had to report them to the Ombudsman with our catalogue of errors. Our complaint was upheld.

Avoid!!
    14 projects in 2014: 3/14
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Stargirl29 wrote: »
    I've just found this thread when looking to see if anyone else is having issues with SP. Apparently, it's not just me!

I moved house in November last year - and had no idea who was our supplier, no one seemed to be able to tell me. In the chaos of the move and no letters coming through, I lost track so obviously built up a debt. They eventually sent a *final warning* letter through saying that I needed to phone to be set up or it would be cut off. A bit odd considering it was the first communication from them, but I rang and set it up and explained and it was all polite and courteous.

Fast forward a bit and our DD suddenly increases without, apparently, any warning. I logged on to my account (which was obviously freshly set up previously) and I found out that there had been letters sent out detailing changes etc - but to an address about 200 miles away!! It's not an address I've ever been in, or associated with so I have no idea why it was there and why they were getting my correspondence. This issue was dealt with quickly, but it's very disconcerting thinking that someone else was getting the bills sent to them!

I then get an email one day saying that as I haven't been inputting my meter readings, they have estimated what I use - and changed the DD accordingly. I put them in myself every month without fail, sometimes even more than once a month just to make sure so I was baffled what happened. Apparently it was ANOTHER of their mistakes and it would be rectified. It was, but it was another tally mark of the countless issues I've had.

Finally, I had a DD of £150 which was a struggle and too much, I feel but I wanted to pay off the debt we were building up so was keeping it the same. I get an email on the 24th Oct stating that after calculations, the DD 'would be remaining the same' - except they were upping it for no reason to £241 a month, we weren't using any more gas or electricity than usual, and hadn't had the heating on at all up to that point so I didn't see why they increased it so much. The front of the letter said it wouldn't be taken until 1st December, and when I tried to change it - I couldn't as it was pending. They've taken it today, which will leave us short for the rest of the month. I managed to get online and try to change it but, and this is where it gets borderline illegal, I'm sure, I found out that if I kept paying the amount they put me on, by the annual review next November, I would be £1.2k in CREDIT to them - and the lowest they'd let me go to was £193, which left me £600+ in CREDIT. I tweeted my frustrations, including the graph which showed how massively I would be over-paying them and they replied saying they'll need meter readings to keep on top of it and there's nothing they can do. I managed to get round it by logging back in and changing the DD down to £150 a month by paying £9 as a one off. This would leave me slightly in credit, which seems perfectly acceptable.

I just don't understand how they can get away with charging us that much per month, leaving us that much in credit! I'll be putting in a complaint and hoping they get it sorted - it'll be a struggle this month but hopefully my changing the DD for next month will help, I'll just be looking every week!

As soon as our account is back in credit I'll be switching!

Hi,

Please accept my apologies for issues you have had.

This is not the standard of service we wish our customers to experience and I am really sorry that you were affected by this.

If you can possibly please PM me your account number, I will get this looked into for you.

Kind regards
    Faye
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Please accept my apologies for issues you have had.

This is not the standard of service we wish our customers to experience and I am really sorry that you were affected by this.

If you can possibly please PM me your account number, I will get this looked into for you.

Kind regards
    Faye
    Exactly how do you suggest she PM's you, when that function is disabled on your account?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Stargirl29
    Stargirl29 Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    Exactly how do you suggest she PM's you, when that function is disabled on your account?

Ha, that's interesting - good point! I'm not going to bother though - I've already emailed my complaint and will be going further if necessary.
  • roy62
    roy62 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    In 5 years have never had any problems I put in meter readings every month and receive an updated bill.
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nor have I Roy.I think some people are genuinely unlucky,because I find the account online very easy to use,and have been with them for over 10 years.

Having said that there is no excuse for bad service.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im with Scottish Power online account. .everything fine and just had ny tariff reduce to 55 a month from 75.. on a fixed rate too.
    Happy days
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family