PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I use soya mince?

Options

Comments

• Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    I always add a dash of soy sauce and blob of marmite when I'm making bolognaise.
    When its cooked up it works really well in lasagnes too :)
  • Rallya
    Rallya Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    Heya all

I have a packet of Sainsbury's dried soya mince and a large bag of rice, can anyone suggest a low cost meal with these items please? Something simple but filling with lots of flavour would be great. I dont have much in my store cupboard, just some soy sauce, worchestershire sauce and a tin of peeled toms at present but I dont mind buying some herbs/spices which I can use in the future too. (I have only just started cooking from scratch as you can see :D )

Batchelors do a mexican chili beanfeast which I really fancied trying but I cant buy it anywhere where I live. Any suggestions for something similar or anything else with the above ingredients would be great, thanks!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 126 :j

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Saute a finely chopped onion with crushed garlic and a chopped chilli (leave seeds in if you like it hot, or remove) Use chilli flakes/powder if preferred. Make up the mince according to instructions and add into the pan. Add large squirt tom puree, 1 stock cube, tin tomatoes and 1 can drained rinsed red kidney beans or whichever beans you prefer. Simmer really gently for 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with rice.

For best flavour leave overnight in fridge then re-heat.

Additions to make it tasty include: 1 piece 70% dark chocolate per half pound mince, 1 glass red wine, splash worcester sauce (not my fave but if you like it then it's good, apparently).
  • Rallya
    Rallya Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much annie, that sounds marvelous...going shopping tomorrow so will buy the items I dont have in stock and will be making your chili as per your instructions for tea :D
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 126 :j

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,,2086233,00.html

I substituted soya mince in the above recipe and it worked really well. I also substituted mild madras curry powder for the individual mixed spice and used fewer chillis.... Basically the above recipe was just a jumping-off point for one of my typical, weekday one-pot messes!
  • orchid-96
    orchid-96 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    I picked up a packet of dried soya mince on my last shop as I have noticed many of you are adding it to mince dishes to bulk it out a bit cheaper....can I just ask, do you do the bit with soaking it in water before adding to the food whilst cooking, or can you throw it in dry?

Thanks
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    I don't mix real and soya I use either or (as I'm on Slimming World) but Quorn especially can just be thrown in and cooked as per meat mince. If you're adding liquid you may need a little more than usual though as it does soak it up. HTH!

Catt xx
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    I'm not a meat eater but have used this type of mince. I find that it is a bit tasteless if made up with water. To use with meat I think I'd be inclined to make the meat dish a bit saucier (!) and then throw in the soya mince. When I've used it I've always made it up with the sauce otherwise it tastes a bit cardboardy to me....
  • mumofjusttwo
    mumofjusttwo Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use quorn mince but find it very bland. Good to bee used to make chilli in it but make sure to put loads of food with texture in it as I find quorn mince to be very 'samey' after a while. Quorn has very little texture of its own
    January Grocery 11/374
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the usual recommendation that I've seen on the board is to soak the soya in stock rather than plain water.

Anyway, you'll be able to find out for sure because I've added your question onto an earlier thread which has lots of advice.

Good luck :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport